Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Indexing "insufficient Disk Space Error"

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Old Hippie

Old Hippie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello!

I've searched and Googled but a fix hasn't been found....

Yesterday I noticed my lastest shares weren't being included in a WHS search but were there if I explored the shared music folder.

After investigating indexing a little more I received the message on the "Indexing Options" pop-up "Insufficient disk space to continue indexing. Search results might not be complete"

Seems I have 145,224 items indexed and that's the limit?

98% of the indexed items are @ 4000 mp3 and FLAC album folders.

I removed the other folders from the indexing options and turned off duplication for the music share folder but it made no change to the indexing error.

The OS is on a 74GB Raptor but I don't believe the OS partition "grows as needed" so that shouldn't be the problem.

I suppose I could tell it to not index the text and pics or maybe move the folder?

Is there anyway to increase the size of the index folder or another way around this?

Thanks for your time and consideration!

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

craigp

craigp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I received the message on the "Indexing Options" pop-up "Insufficient disk space to continue indexing. Search results might not be complete"

Bit of a thread-bump but I've got exactly the same issue and many searches have failed to find a fix - I'm hoping the lack of response to Old Hippie's original post isn't a bad sign!

I've tried rebuilding the index and restoring defaults (both under Advanced Options) with no joy. Indexing is now stuck at only 71 items!

My C: partition currently has 5.7GB free and D: has 270GB free so not really a lack of disk space as the error suggests.

Any ideas folks? I'm missing the indexing functionality when searching server content from my Windows 7 clients.

Dave Marchant (WGS)

Dave Marchant (WGS)

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,721 posts
Check the Event Logs on the server for any loosly related problems. Often software incorrectly reports the type of error as the condition has not been correctly anticipated by the programmers. Disk full errors may in fact be a read or write problem or even a memory fault.

craigp

craigp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
There wasn't really anything in the Event Logs to support this until I forced an index rebuild again. Now I get multiple errors for the Windows Search Service and CqvSvc.exe (slightly less of the latter):

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows Search Service
Event Category: Gatherer
Event ID: 3026
Date: 22/06/2010
Time: 5:47:34 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HOLLY
Description:
Advise Status Change failed. The system is probably low on resources. Free up resources and restart the service.

Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
The content index service was stopped. (0x80041812)

&

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: CqvSvc.exe
Event Category: None
Event ID: 9000
Date: 22/06/2010
Time: 5:54:01 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HOLLY
Description:
Exception occurred: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException

Message: IErrorInfo.GetDescription failed with E_FAIL(0x80004005).

The former doesn't seem to offer much of a clue but the latter suggests problems writing to an Access DB using ASP.NET from a quick Google. I'm assuming the search index is some kind of DB but am at a loss on how to fix this issue :unsure:

craigp

craigp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Further to my issue I've been trying some other fault-finding steps suggested from various Googling:

Using RegEdit to set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows Search \ SetupCompletedSuccessfully to 0 and rebooting triggers Windows Search to remove its old catalogue and recreate a new search index (confirmed all OK from Event Viewer).

Whilst the subsequent log entries are all informational (no errors), the indexing process then only gets as far as 49 items before repeating the original "Insufficient disk space to continue indexing" message in the Indexing Options dialogue box.

Still looking...

craigp

craigp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Bumping my own thread again - feel free to chip in anyone :)

Been reading up a bit more on Windows Search 4 and on the MS FAQ page (http://www.microsoft...es/techfaq.mspx) it states "The average size of an index is about 10% of the size of all the content that is being indexed".

My 'Shared Folders' currently total 870GB and I definitely don't have 87GB free in the default 20GB system C:\ partition (!), but the bulk of the content are videos which presumably don't index much more than title, duration, etc and therefore not the average 10%.

I could understand the index eventually running out of space due to the above but when I try to rebuild it, it gives the "insufficient disk space" error almost straight-away which makes me think the message is misleading, especially when there's still 5GB or so free on C:\.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of looking for a way of moving the index from the default C:\ location to somewhere on D:\ that has more space, but as above I think the space issue is a red-herring.

craigp

craigp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
OK, finally fixed. For other people's reference:

Moving the search index to D:\ seems to have fixed the problem - I left indexing running overnight and it's now showing complete. The new folder I created now contains a total of 394MB and there's 6GB free on C: so free-space isn't really the issue, but obviously something about moving the index has solved it.

• Windows Search Options > Advanced > Index location > Select new (I created a new folder in the root of D: rather than in the Shares area)
  • Restarted the Windows Search service and left it running

Old Hippie

Old Hippie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Moving the search index to D:\ seems to have fixed the problem - I left indexing running overnight and it's now showing complete. The new folder I created now contains a total of 394MB and there's 6GB free on C: so free-space isn't really the issue, but obviously something about moving the index has solved it.

• Windows Search Options > Advanced > Index location > Select new (I created a new folder in the root of D: rather than in the Shares area)

You did good! I tried moving the index and had the same space problem but I think I moved it to somewhere else on "C". I had to reinstall (again) to repair the problem.

Old Hippie

Old Hippie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just thought I'd add.......

About 2 days after my last reply I started to get the same "Insufficient Disk Space" error again.

I used Craigp's fix and it's running better than it has for a long time!

Thanks Craig!

InShaneee

InShaneee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Wanted to add also, I had this same problem, and while it hasn't been long, I can at least confirm in the short term this has gotten my indexer working again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.