Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

TVersity w/WHS, anyone?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

digital

digital

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Anyone using TVeristy with WHS? How is it working for you if you are using it. I am thinking about using it rather than Media Connect 2.0 or the current WMP 11 workaround.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Silverfoxxxx

Silverfoxxxx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,

I use Tversity and it works great, installed fine, just needed to configure my router and away i went, my server is a reasonable spec so i find the fact that it can encode my files on the fly and send to my Ps3 is great.

digital

digital

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'd just like to follow up and comment that TVersity installed fine and shares out my media perfectly with 1 exception. When trying to FF or REW a movie, it stutters and can't go faster than 10x. On my XP Pro machine previous to my server, I could FF/REW at 120x with no problems. I think it has something to do with the way Home Server handles the files (tombstones, drive extender, etc).

GaMeR

GaMeR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
I've have it allready downloaded and going to check this in a few days. will let you all know how it works out.

Guest_Drashna_*

Guest_Drashna_*
  • Guests
@digital: that is due to bandwidth. Normal network transfer speed is much faster but pretty slow and is pretty much the number 2 complaint about WHS. I max at anywhere between 6mbps to 11mbps. Between my other boxes (vista and XP) I get a lot faster. This transfer speed limits the speed at which it can FF or REW because it's limited to read speed.

digital

digital

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

@digital: that is due to bandwidth. Normal network transfer speed is much faster but pretty slow and is pretty much the number 2 complaint about WHS. I max at anywhere between 6mbps to 11mbps. Between my other boxes (vista and XP) I get a lot faster. This transfer speed limits the speed at which it can FF or REW because it's limited to read speed.

Darn! Makes sense now that you say that. I've seen this network transfer slow issue before on the forums. I sure hope it gets fixed soon.

ghost82

ghost82

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I have TVersity up and running on my WHS and streaming to my PS3.

I have only used it for .jpeg and .mp3 files at the moment.

It seems to go through the different menus quick enough, photos seem to open a bit slower (compared to vista) but .mp3 files take ages to open and start playing.

I timed Foo Fighters - The Pretender, a 8.21 mb file, from when I pressed the button to when it started playing and it took 47 secs. Another file, 3.10 mb took around 30 seconds to start playing :o

Is this because of the bandwidth restriction on WHS or are there some settings somewhere that I can try and change?

Do .mp3 open quicker on your setup?

I am using a CAT6 cable (100mbs) to link them (via router)

Edit: Also it will not let me FF/RW the mp3 files

spaceman

spaceman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Would love some additional help regarding WHS, TVersity and my PS3. Specifically, I've got all 3, I think TVersity is installed and running correctly on my WHS, but no joy streaming my movie files via my new PS3.

Router problems perhaps?

I just posted another 'help!' over here (I'm namecaps):

http://forums.micros...r...4&SiteID=50

ghost82

ghost82

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hey, thanks for this. I've gone down this path, and it almost nearly works!

1. Where you said "no password" (above), this didn't work for me. The service wouldn't start. If I wanted the service to start as "This Account" then I had to enter the Administrator password for my WHS.

2. You imply that you can add directories to share via http://server:41952. If that's possible via the web browser, then it was far from obvious to me. Instead I clicked on the TVersity shortcut on my WHS desktop - then it was obvious how to add directories to share.

BUT...

At some (early) stage during the installation of TVersity I got a warning telling me that I would have to adjust my firewall (or words to that effect) to allow the TVersity executable MediaServer.exe to act as a server on port 41952. I ignored that (for the time being), and 'successfuly' completed the installation of TVersity (inc. codec pack, selecting default options all the way).

So now I'm trying to find my homeserver (that's what I call mine) using my PS3 over wireless. Sure enough, it finds it as:

HOMESERVER : 1 : Windows Media Connect

(I was kind of expecting it to mention TVersity in the line above. Oh well...)

So I select the HOMESERVER, then Video, then All Video... and it comes back saying 'There are no titles'. But there definitely are 7 .avi files in \\Homeserver\Videos.

So I'm a bit stuck now! Perhaps it's a firewall thing? I've got a Netgear ADSL Modem Wireless Router DG834PN, and I *think* I've put the right rule in place, but not sure.

Help! Any suggestions anyone about how I diagnose what's not working here and how I might fix it?

(p.s. I tried the WMP11 suggestion for streaming to my PS3, but that didn't work for me. WMP11 refused to add any media to the library. It found 1000's of files, but then refused to actually add them. So I undid everything and tried TVersity.)

I found & followed the same instructions as you

1) You need to put your administrator password in otherwise the service will not start
2) You need to allow mediaserver.exe through your firewall
3) I also had to manually add the port as well
4) It should show up as 'TVersity' on your PS3. Media Connect is the default WHS media server - turn this off in your WHS console

spaceman

spaceman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

I found & followed the same instructions as you

1) You need to put your administrator password in otherwise the service will not start
2) You need to allow mediaserver.exe through your firewall
3) I also had to manually add the port as well
4) It should show up as 'TVersity' on your PS3. Media Connect is the default WHS media server - turn this off in your WHS console

1) Yup
2) It's far from obvious to me how to achieve this using my firewall on my DG834PN (http://www.netgear.c...ys/DG834PN.aspx).
3) I think I've done this correctly, but not sure. Doh!
4) Hmmm..

BUT I'm not sure much of this matters because, forgetting TVersity for the moment, I really didn't feel confident that my DG834PN was connecting with my PS3 with any sort of reliability. And doing a Google search on DG834PN and PS3 returned a whole heap of people with massive wireless connectivity problems with this same combo as me. So I need to resolve this connectivity (or lack thereof) issue first before I look at TVersity more.

Teetime

Teetime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I just ran across this old post and would appreciate any current insights regarding WHS and network transfer speed issues.

I am running WHS on a Pentium 4 3Ghz, connected to my 802.11g router/access point via Gb. I am running Tversity in WHS as my dlna server and am streaming to an LG bd390 bluray player wia 802.11g. I am only able to stream 2Mbps encodings. If I go beyond that I get stuttering. I am seeing 54Mbps service on a laptop located near the bd390. So my question is what is the most likely cause of my bottleneck so I can begin troubleshooting:
- WHS (as mentioned in the quoted post)
- 802.11g
- router configuration
- all the above
- something else?

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,784 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Without a doubt, Wireless G is your issue. I rarely have seen above 16mbps realistically on my netwrok (1-2MB/s).

For multimedia, wired is almost *always* preferred. Wireless N is an okay alternative, but G is just bad.

Another option that may help is to change the channel the wireless is on, default is 6, but everyone uses that, so if there are other signals in the area, it may help with your reception.

Teetime

Teetime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Without a doubt, Wireless G is your issue. I rarely have seen above 16mbps realistically on my netwrok (1-2MB/s).

For multimedia, wired is almost *always* preferred. Wireless N is an okay alternative, but G is just bad.

Another option that may help is to change the channel the wireless is on, default is 6, but everyone uses that, so if there are other signals in the area, it may help with your reception.

Drashna, you say you are getting 16Mbps - is that a wired network or 802.11n? Do you think I could get 16Mbps over 802.11n?

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,784 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Wireless G, actually. And I generally avoid using wireless if I can, it's unreliable at best, and open to attack. When at home, I have couple cables dedicated to plugging in laptops.
Also, with things like wireless phones, blue tooth, microwaves interferring with wireless G....

Teetime

Teetime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Wireless G, actually. And I generally avoid using wireless if I can, it's unreliable at best, and open to attack. When at home, I have couple cables dedicated to plugging in laptops.
Also, with things like wireless phones, blue tooth, microwaves interferring with wireless G....

Drashna, one more question. How do you measure that you are getting 16Mbps? In my case, I just rendered an HD clip at various bit rates and my 2Mbps streams smoothly but my 3Mbps (or larger) stutter. My BD390 blu-ray player only shows bars, not actual connection speed. Is there a way I should be able to determine the actual connection speed, similar to what I see in a laptop that is connected wirelessly? I can see that if I had a way to monitor the connection speed to my BD390 it would make troubleshooting easier.

I appreciate your insights!

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,784 posts
I check it two ways, by what my router says (using DD-WRT firmware, much more info about well... everything) and by the file copies done in vista/Win7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.