Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Windows Home Server Console Slow

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Biyobe

Biyobe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I just purchased the EX490 and set it up on 12/31. I moved about 800GB worth of movies, pictures and videos to it that day. The Windows Home Server Console is running extremely slow and takes a significant amount of time to move from one tab to another (minutes, not seconds). I have tried a few add-ins, but uninstalled them all. I look at the system performance and the CPU Utilization has been at 100% since and the memory utilization is at 50%. If I RMD into the server there are a few programs sucking up a LOT of memory.

WHSBACKUP.EXE 344,528K
TWONKYMEDIASERVER.EXE 99,272K
PresentationHost.EXE 58,000K
WMCCDS.EXE 50,700K
W3WP.EXE 49,000K
HPMSSSERVICE.EXE 46,000K
SEARCHINDEXER.EXE 38,472K

I do not have a lot of experience with servers... but I can find my way around a computer if you have suggestions for me or need anything posted that you can tell me where to find.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Etoa

Etoa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts
The server is processing all of the data you loaded. The heavy CPU usage and slow consloe is normal while it does that. Let it sit for about a week and it will settle down to CPU usage of maybe 10%. The memory usage of 50% is normal and will probably not change.

Biyobe

Biyobe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

The server is processing all of the data you loaded. The heavy CPU usage and slow consloe is normal while it does that. Let it sit for about a week and it will settle down to CPU usage of maybe 10%. The memory usage of 50% is normal and will probably not change.

WOW, a week to load... That's good to know... I was freaking out that something was wrong and I may need to reinstall the server software. I'll give it some time and see what happens. Is there any way to check where it is in processing to know when it is done? Jason

Etoa

Etoa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts
Don't hold me to that week estimate but it will be a few days. I don't think that there ia any progress bar available but check the system status page and when you see the CPU usage fall to below 10% you know it is done.

Biyobe

Biyobe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So after a few days I found the indexing icon in the tray when I used Remote Desktop and found that only 5,500 files had been indexed out of 76,000. I killed a few processes (twonkymediaserver.exe, hpmssservices.exe and wmccds.exe) before going to work and when I returnedit showed that that index was done and the CPU Utilization was back down to 0%-2%.

I figured best to reboot the server so those processes can run again. It started indexing again even though it shows about 76,500 indexed. Again the searchindexer.exe is pulling about 219,785K memory usage, twonkymediaserver is taking 73,504K, wmccds-47,500K and HpmssService-46,000K. I don't want to kill them again since they probably are useful when using the server.

I snoozed the indexer for 12 hours and the CPU utilization is still extremely high. I'm wondering if I kill the indexer if I will be running good. Since it has found everything I have does the searchindexer process need to be running until the next time I restarted? Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.