Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Renaming, Moving Files/folders Takes 2 Minutes Before Starting.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Arunia

Arunia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have been running WHS for more then half a year now.
Have been happy with it since the beginning.

I am using Windows 7 at this point.

I sometimes got a message that a device (HDD) could not be found (the connector systray software told me that, but booting up the console told me that both HDD's are fine. SMART Add in doesn't give me anything weird. I can't find anything in the logs.

I had this message a couple of times and also that files were in use when I tried to rename them or move them to a different location. The same with folders.
I figured it could be PS3 Media Server accessing the files. I decided to reinstall the server because it got clugged with junk in that time because I installed loads of stuff like Sharepoint and what not.
I reinstalled the server and haven't installed much in the mean time.

I still had the problem with files not being accessible and can't remember if I got the device not found message.
I had installed Windows 7 during that time so I did a search on that. Seemed that W7 creates Thumbs.db files on shares, so I switched that off.
The problem I still have is that it is very slow with renaming files and folders and also moving files and folders.
When I wait for that and I boot up the console, that is slow too.
Also, when not using the pc to do something on the shares and I boot up the server, I sometimes see that it reacts slow too.

I have absolutelly no clue what it could be. I haven't got any streaming stuff on the server nowadays. I only have uTorrent on it, but mostly that one doesn't do much most of the time.
Are there things I can check? Things I could switch off in Windows 7. I should also try using another pc to access and rename the shares to see what that does. I have a couple off WinXP pc's lying around.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

J1mbo

J1mbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
Contributor
Re slow rename on WHS, I have this too. Nobody seems to have a certain method to diagnose the issue, but it is likely caused by something installed on the Win7 machine that has an Explorer Shell Extension that is not Win7 compatible (like an old version of WinZip for example).

Other things to try are resetting the folder views on Win7, and deleting the thumbs.db and desktop.ini files that get scattered about the place.

HTH

Ookpic

Ookpic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I am having this exact same issue!! It's extremely annoying! Whenever I try to access WHS from my brand new Windows 7 machine there is a delayed response the first time I try to access a shared folder. Then it is good to browse and move files around however if I try and rename files OR folders, I run into this fault.

Posted Image

If you hit try again, it just keeps displaying the fault. If I wait for a 30secs to 1min I can hit try again and it works. This only happens on my Windows 7 machine. This and a stupid "file in use" fault because the thumbs.db file hasn't been released yet.

Very irritating and annoying. Has anyone found a solution yet?

Ookpic

Ookpic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I found this small workaround for the folder delete problem.

• Run gpedit.msc.
  • Enable the following policy: User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Explorer > Turn off the caching of thumbnails in hidden thumbs.db files

I did this on my windows 7 box and it solved the "unable to delete folders" fault. This fault happens when trying to delete a folder from the server but Win7 hasn't closed the thumbs.db file yet. It often will pop up with a thumbs.db "file in use" fault with the "try again" button which doesn't work unless you wait for 30 seconds or so.

It DOES NOT fix the other problem in this thread regarding renaming files or folders.

Arunia

Arunia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Your post does fix the delete folder problem.
The other I tried with the Router disconnected (the pc's are on a 1Gbit switch) and I got the feeling that that made it better too.

It is however not a Windows 7 only problem because in Windows XP it is also slow.

Ookpic

Ookpic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Your post does fix the delete folder problem.
The other I tried with the Router disconnected (the pc's are on a 1Gbit switch) and I got the feeling that that made it better too.

It is however not a Windows 7 only problem because in Windows XP it is also slow.

I have 5 PC's attached to the WHS. 4 of them are running XP Pro and I have none of the above problems with any of them. My problem only exists on the Win7 unit.

sweitzen

sweitzen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I have 5 PC's attached to the WHS. 4 of them are running XP Pro and I have none of the above problems with any of them. My problem only exists on the Win7 unit.

I am facing this problem frequently, too -- it ONLY happens on my Windows 7 machine. If I am working from XP, I have never encountered this problem.

Arunia

Arunia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Just to let you guys know.
The minute wait when logged in to WHS or trying to copy files and also the occassional stuttering when playing music is gone.
I bought a new drive (15EARS and did all the stuff necessary to use it as the system disk) and transferred all the data off of the 15EADS drive (which was my system drive). Currently I am writing zeros to it to remove the data so I can exchange it tomorrow.
I have been listening to music and rearranging files on the server without any problems.

Somehow, the problem was in the drive itself. Still not sure what is wrong. But I am bringing it back.

snow-munki

snow-munki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I still get this issue, was it ever resolved ??

Thanks,

Ookpic

Ookpic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Every single WHS glitch or problem I was having was resolved after replacing the slow ass WD Green drives. All my streaming issues were fixed and renaming files and folders happens instantly again.

snow-munki

snow-munki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks, out of interest what disk did you change to ?

From your sig assume you now have a WD Caviar Black instead ?

And was that your system drive or just a data drive, as would be a total pain to replace the system drive !

Ookpic

Ookpic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I truely can't remember if it was system drive or not, I'm thinking not. I'm fairly certain it was a data drive. I do remember swapping out the motherboard which turned out to be a major PITA because I went from a Pentium D cpu to a core 2 duo cpu (mostly for "on the fly" video transcoding). I tried many options to trick the OS using different HAL.DLL files but in the end I just wound up doing a full OS re-install. Now on to my point...

When I did the reinstall I decided to add some more server storage so I bought 2 WD Green 1.5Tb drives. Everything went pretty smooth. The OS install is not as overwhelming as you may think. I didn't lose any data. However I started having these small glitches while watching streaming video. As well I was having this file/folder renaming problem and every time I tried to access a shared folder from my Win7 machine it seemed to take a long time the to make the initial connection. So really I had no idea that all these problems would be caused by a poor performing HD. So to answer your question...

I picked up a 2Tb HITACHI Deskstar 7K2000. It was super cheap and had decent reviews. Thought if it fairs well, I'll swap out my aging Seagates as well. So far it's been 6 months and no issues.

Gordon Currie

Gordon Currie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Every single WHS glitch or problem I was having was resolved after replacing the slow ass WD Green drives. All my streaming issues were fixed and renaming files and folders happens instantly again.

+ 1.
I've RMA'd 2 WD 2 TB green drives. I got lucky and the replacements are good. I wasted so much time trying to track down random unresponsiveness everywhere else but the drives. I guess the one bright spot is that I know the inner workings of WHS extremely well now.

No more WD drives for me. I'm planning a new box for Vail and I'm looking at the new Samsung F4 drives.

Ookpic

Ookpic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

No more WD drives for me. I'm planning a new box for Vail and I'm looking at the new Samsung F4 drives.

Yup same here at least for the WD Green series. The Samsung F4 Drives are still only 5400rpm drives. Unless you are concerned about heat or power consumption these drives may exhibit the same issues as the WD Green drives? I'll wait for further testing on server environment before I switch again. Currently the Hitachi 2Tb I have has been running 24/7 for over 6 months and was only $129. It has 32Mb cache and spins at 7200rpm. It may be slightly more noisey than the WD but the performance is what I'm after for my server.

Any idea when the heck Vail is to be officially RTM'd?

snow-munki

snow-munki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thanks all.

I have 4 drives in my server at the moment, all different manufacturers so will be a nightmare to look into :(

will try and do some testing but not sure if i have the time ...

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,509 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor
Can definitely confirm the WD GP drives being rubish.

ruprecht

ruprecht

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Has anyone successfully used this tool http://support.wdc.c...sid=114&lang=en to stop the WD Green Power drives from parking after 8 seconds, which might explain the slowness and timeouts? Problem described here: http://www.silentpcr...abyte_Drive_Fix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.