Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Anyone Use Their Android Phone (Or Other Phone) With Whs?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

CompTronicsTec

CompTronicsTec

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
Im considering getting a new phone, i have Sprint and that wont change. Current offerings include Palm Pre/Pixi (WebOS), HTC Touch Pro 2 (Windows mobile 6.1 pro), or HTC Hero/Samsung Moment (Android). There are some new phones that may be out in a month or 2 that i would be willing to wait for. The issue is im wondering what phone OS would work best with WHS and general media/data sharing/streaming in general. Im assuming Win Mobile would be, but android and WebOS seem to have more free apps available.

As a side note i dont currently have a WHS, but i think its safe to think that i will have one by years end. I dont want to be stuck with a phone that doesnt interface well or at all with it. My main concern is accessing media on my server and possibly documents. Other then that the rest would be extras like server management/monitoring etc.

Just wondering what phone OS works best with WHS and what you guys do with your phone/WHS

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

DuwayneWebPro

DuwayneWebPro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Im considering getting a new phone, i have Sprint and that wont change. Current offerings include Palm Pre/Pixi (WebOS), HTC Touch Pro 2 (Windows mobile 6.1 pro), or HTC Hero/Samsung Moment (Android). There are some new phones that may be out in a month or 2 that i would be willing to wait for. The issue is im wondering what phone OS would work best with WHS and general media/data sharing/streaming in general. Im assuming Win Mobile would be, but android and WebOS seem to have more free apps available.

As a side note i dont currently have a WHS, but i think its safe to think that i will have one by years end. I dont want to be stuck with a phone that doesnt interface well or at all with it. My main concern is accessing media on my server and possibly documents. Other then that the rest would be extras like server management/monitoring etc.

Just wondering what phone OS works best with WHS and what you guys do with your phone/WHS

Android! thats all i think you should focus on. Right now i use gmote on whs and can have mouse and keyboard controls from my g1 dev device. i plan on using the Android system to control my whole home automation/media/security system just havent finally decided on whs yet.

CompTronicsTec

CompTronicsTec

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
What exactly is Gmote, i checked out their home page and they dont explain its features very clearly. Can you tell me whats its used for and/or where to find more info/reviews/demos? Thanks sounds cool.

DuwayneWebPro

DuwayneWebPro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

What exactly is Gmote, i checked out their home page and they dont explain its features very clearly. Can you tell me whats its used for and/or where to find more info/reviews/demos? Thanks sounds cool.

it basically allows you to use the screen as a touchpad mouse and keyboard as you would using regular mouse and keyboard only with the android phone. if interested i can make a video with a demo!

jodyn

jodyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

http://www.google.co...ew: gmote&meta=

CompTronicsTec

CompTronicsTec

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
Sounds cool. Anyone else using a cell with WHS, if  so what are you using and why? So far im leaning towards an Android based phone, but im heavily considering a Palm Pre

cold71

cold71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Droid running Froyo, and since I now have flash support in the browser I was able to tap in to my server via the HP web interface (build with flash 10) and stream music. Have not tried to stream a movie yet but I thought it was cool that I was able to stream my music to my phone from anywhere.

scywin

scywin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
If you are simply talking about the web interface, any of the major smartphones should work. I have tested logging in and browsing with a couple Blackberry models and an iTouch. All worked fine.

cold71

cold71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

If you are simply talking about the web interface, any of the major smartphones should work. I have tested logging in and browsing with a couple Blackberry models and an iTouch. All worked fine.

Isn't that interface built in flashplayer though? Everytime I have ever checked the web interface from a pc it comes up in flash. Does it swap to another format for mobile?

scywin

scywin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Isn't that interface built in flashplayer though? Everytime I have ever checked the web interface from a pc it comes up in flash. Does it swap to another format for mobile?

I hadn't really thought about it as my test was simply could I get in and navigate around the site. With the exception of the dust up between Apple starting with the iPad, I think Flashplayer has had good momentum in the mobile phone sector except for Apple. In any case, my Blackberry's have worked and so has my iTouch, which is pre-iPad. I haven't had an Android phone to test with, but others seem to think it works. When Blackberry comes out with their new OS and web browser in the fall, the web core issupposed to be the same as Android, so I think the likelihood of problems will shrink further.

Note that I have not changed the out of the box web features at all. If you start tinkering with your site, your results may vary.

Stugg

Stugg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, first time poster here! I wanted to share my experience with Android and WHS. I just got the HTC EVO 4G, and have been putting it through the wringer. I found an app on the Android marketplace called MeCanto, which is a cloud-based storage service for streaming music. The service is currently free, and has no limit on the number of songs, or storage space provided.

To sum it up, you install a client (on a Windows based PC), after creating an account on their website. You then browse to the folder(s) on your local drives where your music collection is stored, and it creates a database of your available artists/albums/genres, which is accessible online. You can then stream music via HTTP to any web browser via their website, or to your mobile device running their app.

They don't specifically list WHS as a supported operating system, but I thought I'd try it out. The application install went through with no issues, but I ran into a minor speed bump when trying to select my Music folder, since the MeCanto app does not accept network locations. I got around this easily by mapping a network drive to my shared Music folder. Avoid browsing to your local drive (ie; d:\shares) when selecting folders, as you should always use the share name when accessing files on WHS (pre-Vail).

Within a few minutes, my entire list of artists and songs were available online, and the client started uploading the files to MeCanto's server. Files which have not been uploaded can be streamed directly from your server, provided the client is running and can access the Internet. Once a file is uploaded, you may stream it directly from their server in the cloud, instead of streaming from your WHS. This will be great for those with ISP imposed transfer limits, since once a file is uploaded from your server, you can play it any time without utilizing your personal upstream.

So far, I've had a great experience with this service. I'm now trying to find a way to download my files if needed, as this would be a great way to back up my entire collection off-site, for free. If I am successful, I will post a follow up here.

Stugg

Stugg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I wasn't sure if I should mention this, since it doesn't necessarily require WHS, but it is somewhat related. I use WHS to store all of my video content, and use XBMC to stream video on my media PC. This app is hands down the coolest application I have ever used in conjunction with my home theater setup, and everyone who's seen it has been blown away.

Check it out on Google Code: http://code.google.c...oid-xbmcremote/

I had been shopping for Logitech Harmony remotes, but couldn't decide on one. Then I found this app, and decided to skip buying one for now. Granted, you can't control all of your other home theater equipment, but if you use XBMC, and own an Android phone, this is a must have.

Jayd272

Jayd272

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I would love to use some of these suggestions on the new Dell Streak. Especially with that large screen, streaming media is a must. Because I work for Dell, they sent me a personalized link I posted in the "Hot Deals" section, where you can get 10% off of the Streak!

JimmyB52

JimmyB52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm not sure when this is coming out, but it might help you decide...? The 'Eyecon' thing might be what you're looking for. Does anyone else know anything about this?

http://www.droid-lif...mercial-slides/

Cheers.

spile

spile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
I am running Cyanogen Mod 7 on a HTC Desire.
I use the Logitech Squeezebox app to control access to my Music via Squeezebox Touch.
I use ES FileExplorer to remote access my WHS files.

talonzme

talonzme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I use android devices and I stream media with Plex. Plex even allows you to upload photos from your phone to the server as you take them. By far the most options with the widest variety of supported platforms. Most of the project is free, but some features require a Plex pass. Definitely worth it though.

Terry (WGS)

Terry (WGS)

Owner

• Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
Contributor

Agreed!

smithderek76

smithderek76

Advanced Member

• WGS Supporter
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Media Archiving, Comic Books, Intricacies of Life in General,

l am using Windows Phone 8.1 and I am using a combo of Plex (video) SilverSonic (music) MyHome Server/MyServer 2012 R2 (for file access) and One Drive (photo uploads). Plex is visually amazing on Windows 8.1 both the new Home Theatre desktop app and the modern/metro app. On the phone is isn't as visually stunning but it is solid for performance. I'm hoping in the future that Microsoft will grant their phones network access like you can achieve using ES file manager in Android it would greatly improve the phones utility.

dbailey75

dbailey75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

l am using Windows Phone 8.1 and I am using a combo of Plex (video) SilverSonic (music) MyHome Server/MyServer 2012 R2 (for file access) and One Drive (photo uploads). Plex is visually amazing on Windows 8.1 both the new Home Theatre desktop app and the modern/metro app. On the phone is isn't as visually stunning but it is solid for performance. I'm hoping in the future that Microsoft will grant their phones network access like you can achieve using ES file manager in Android it would greatly improve the phones utility.

I've just discovered Plex, or finally installed it for the first time, I think I tried out the media server years ago, but it's the most polished multi-device program out there, my only compliant is giving plex access to my server.  With that said, i'm really hoping that media browser server catches up. 

Plex streaming quality, using comparable settings appears to be much better than MBS, and I like that it can even trans code my WTV files.

awraynor

awraynor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I use android devices and I stream media with Plex. Plex even allows you to upload photos from your phone to the server as you take them. By far the most options with the widest variety of supported platforms. Most of the project is free, but some features require a Plex pass. Definitely worth it though.

I agree. Just bought the lifetime subscription.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.