Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Slow Download (And Upload) After Whs Sp2

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

WHSwede

WHSwede

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
A month or so back I finally installed SP2 on my WHS-setup. Don't really know why because everything was running just fine. After that upgrade I have now discovered that downloading torrents maxes out on 50kb/s (more often max 10) and before SP2 I had around 800kb/s. (DSL-connection)
I'm am not sure that the service pack has something to do with this issue but other than that I have changed nothing. Nor has my ISP changed anything that I know of. I get good download speed if I use for example Bitcomet for downloading of torrents to my regular Windows 7 computer. Only in uTorrent on the WHS it is slow. I have never more than 5 downloads in progress. (set maximum to 5). Global max is at 200 and max connected peers per torrent is set to 100. Any ideas as what to try? (before trying to restore my WHS to before SP2.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Alodar

Alodar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
 Are you using the same version of utorrent before the update as you are after the update?

Also, do you mean Power Pack 2?  Service Pack 2 is actually an erroneous indicator of patch level.  See the link for explanation.

http://social.micros...72-6f9050f530e2

You actually cannot upgrade to or download from SP2 as it is the code base on which WHS is built. "Windows Home Server is built on the same codebase as Windows Server 2003 SP2.  It includes almost all technologies found in Windows Server 2003 SP2 but has been modified in some areas to remove or limit features.  It also includes some new capabilities not found in Windows Server 2003 SP2."

Which Power Pack are you using?  Your console will tell you that, as per the link above.  Also, not sure if you can remove Power Pack 2.  On my system it says it cannot be removed, but that might just be because Power Pack 3 is installed, and maybe you have to uninstall in reverse order as installed.  However, I really do not think this is necessary, as I am fully patched (PP3) and utorrent will max my available bandwidth on my WHS.  I think it may be something other than WHS itself.  If you have recently updated utorrent, I'd try an older version of utorrent possibly.  

Evaders99

Evaders99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
More likely you need to get the latest network drivers / configure your offloading or flow control settings.

WHSwede

WHSwede

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm on Powerpack 3, but it says Service Pack 2.
As for uTorrent I don't know if I have a new version since installaing power pack 3... will look in to that. As for new network card drivers I guess I could try to revert to older drivers there to but I have good download speeds through Internet Explorer and when copying files on my local network it performs nicely on my gigabit LAN.

JesterEE

JesterEE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

I'm on Powerpack 3, but it says Service Pack 2.
As for uTorrent I don't know if I have a new version since installaing power pack 3... will look in to that. As for new network card drivers I guess I could try to revert to older drivers there to but I have good download speeds through Internet Explorer and when copying files on my local network it performs nicely on my gigabit LAN.

I doubt it was the upgrade process. I would echo the NIC drivers issue; it makes all the difference with bit torrent. Find your vendor's site and upgrade to their latest for Windows Server 2003. The Windows Update rarely gets you the driver you really want to use. Also, if that doesn't help, try blasting away your uTorrent settings and re-instantiate them. I can remember a time or two I started getting horrible speeds and forgot I modified some advanced setting.

Good Luck
-JesterEE

WHSwede

WHSwede

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I doubt it was the upgrade process. I would echo the NIC drivers issue; it makes all the difference with bit torrent. Find your vendor's site and upgrade to their latest for Windows Server 2003. The Windows Update rarely gets you the driver you really want to use. Also, if that doesn't help, try blasting away your uTorrent settings and re-instantiate them. I can remember a time or two I started getting horrible speeds and forgot I modified some advanced setting.

Good Luck
-JesterEE

Looked into the driver matter. I have been using the same driver for my NIC since day one with my WHS. My NIC is an integrated one, Intel PRO/1000 GT and the driver suggested both by Windows and Intels online detector is 8.10.3 from august 2008.
I haven't been fiddling around with any settings in uTorrent. The only thing I have done the last few months is PP3. Before that it ran for 1.5 years without me changing a thing. Perhaps some uTorrent updates and of course all Windows update suggested.
Guess I will end up reinstalling WHS completely or change for another torrent software... although I have grown to really like uTorrent.

Last night I spent 4 hours straight trying a zillion settings in uTorrent as instructed on varies guides and how-to's around the net.... no good
I did think I cracked it a few times but it lasted for maximum 1 minute . During that minute I could get speeds at least above 200kb/s from various torrents. I'm out of ideas...

Alodar

Alodar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I'm at a loss too other than suggesting trying a different (pre 2.0) version of utorrent.  As I mentioned previously, I have a fully updated and patched WHS (Acer H340), am using original network drivers, and I can max my 6/1 pipe.  However, I am using utorrent 1.8.5 on WHS.  I'd try "downgrading" utorrent first to rule out changes in the 2+ version as the cause.  Of course that is assuming that you weren't using that prior to updating WHS.

Evaders99

Evaders99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
Note: The underlying OS is indeed Server 2003 Service Pack 2. Only the WHS Console will show the details as Powerpack 3

WHSwede

WHSwede

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I'm at a loss too other than suggesting trying a different (pre 2.0) version of utorrent.  As I mentioned previously, I have a fully updated and patched WHS (Acer H340), am using original network drivers, and I can max my 6/1 pipe.  However, I am using utorrent 1.8.5 on WHS.  I'd try "downgrading" utorrent first to rule out changes in the 2+ version as the cause.  Of course that is assuming that you weren't using that prior to updating WHS.

Ok. Looked quickly for an older version of uTorrenet but couldn't find it. (not at official site anyway). Will look further tonight and try that first... before reinstalling WHS.
/J

Alodar

Alodar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Ok. Looked quickly for an older version of uTorrenet but couldn't find it. (not at official site anyway). Will look further tonight and try that first... before reinstalling WHS.
/J

If you look on the right had column there are all builds, beta and stable.  You might need to click "view more" at the bottom of the list get some of the older builds, as with all the betas of 2.x it mostly predominates that list.

http://www.filehippo...nload_utorrent/

WHSwede

WHSwede

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

If you look on the right had column there are all builds, beta and stable.  You might need to click "view more" at the bottom of the list get some of the older builds, as with all the betas of 2.x it mostly predominates that list.

http://www.filehippo...nload_utorrent/

Downgraded to 1.8.1 and initially it seems downloads has taken a turn... to the faster. Not very fast but that might be due to the torrents in them selves right now. Will evaluate this for a couple of days. Thanks for the link!
One downside thought seems to be that the Webui isn't really up to date as it isn't showing what is actually going on. Downgraded webui as well but it is very buggy. Will look further into that when speeds are at a satisfying level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.