Jump to content

Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Win 7 Client With Corrupted Wmc Connection

- - - - -

  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1
EddieJ

EddieJ

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have been on quite an odyssey for the past couple of months. It all started when a client running W7 ultimate produced unexpected error messages within WMC. This is the main client machine in our home which plays all of our media stored on WHSv1 with PP3. The only media WMC has trouble with is music. Pictures, movies, video (don't do TV yet) play fine and produce thumbnails etc.

The first error that had me panicking was the "file you are trying to play has become corrupted or cannot be found..." The thumbnails were present and I could navigate to tracks through WMC but just could not play them. In WMP, this was a non issue. So I deleted and then re-added within WMC the the mapped drive containing WMA 10 Professiona lossless tracks which are already libraries in W7. Same result - track(s) did not play. So I closed WMC, and deleted the WMP music database to through Windows explorer and had Media services rebuild it. Still hadn't any luck. I tried to re-install both the Console and Media connector through URL. This was unsuccessful. I went to another desktop and through console created another user account on WHS, and on the client. Still produced the same problem. I located the copies of WHS connector on the server itelf, put them on a thumb drive and did a manual install to the troublesome client. Still no luck. Next I deleted the rogue account and re-activated it. Nothing. After a few days of headscratching, no music and lurking on forums, inexplicably as the problem appeared the problem disappeared.

In WMC, the tracks are playable however not all from the library are present and any subsequent tracks I added to WHS only some showed up on the rogue client in the WMC library. On top of that, ALL of the music thumbnail disappeared. I was only able to navigate my music library through tagged info. In other words, just text appeared where the WMC thumbnails used to be. So if I navigated music by album artists, only the text from tagged info showed. (I am posting away from home right now, but I can upload a screen snapshot of the music library if this explanation is not clear.)

There are few other issues: back up is intermittent but, that's for another thread. I don't care if I don't have daily backups. The occasional one is fine becuase, I do not add much data to this machine and it seems to be in a corrupted state anyway. I went on to focus my troubleshooting on reproducing the thumbnails throu the eHome folder and LocalMLS folders on the client machine. This approach was misguided and a huge waste of time, I think. My suspicions are toward the Windows Media Center Connector. I get the "unexpected error" message which I tried to resolve by again lurking the forums. One poster suggested setting permissions in the TV folder on WHS so that Network Services has read/write (or full) permissions to resolve the unknown Media Center Connector issue. I am a little leary of going on another wild-goose chase.

Sorry for writing a book here. I have a hunch I might be reluctantly forced to re-install W7 but I wonder if anybody has a real clear sense on how to resolve this client connector issue. All the suggestions I read seem piecemeal and I cannot find an issue remotely similiar to mine.


Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.