Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Whs 2011 Rc Vs Server 2008 R2

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

MrCrispy

MrCrispy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
As the title says, is there any reason besides pc backup to use WHS 2011 over Windows Server? OR for that matter even Windows 7 (maybe tuned for server duty)?
You'd lose the nice WHS console and pc health monitoring also, but would gain the ability to run a lot of other software (like web server etc), which I'm not clear will install on WHS without issue.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Dave Marchant (WGS)

Dave Marchant (WGS)

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,721 posts
You also lose the nice web interface and the built-in streaming both over the local network and over the internet using Silverlight.

For most users, cost may also prove to be a significant difference.

tbuck

tbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

As the title says, is there any reason besides pc backup to use WHS 2011 over Windows Server? OR for that matter even Windows 7 (maybe tuned for server duty)?
You'd lose the nice WHS console and pc health monitoring also, but would gain the ability to run a lot of other software (like web server etc), which I'm not clear will install on WHS without issue.

Both WHS v1 and v2 have IIS built in, so running a website is no problem. Setting it up can be a bit tricky if you are not familiar with IIS and it is possible to screw up the WHS website in the process. Not trying to be scary, but it is easy to do (yes, I have done this myself, so I know, lol).

In addition you can run any other windows application on either version without issue, so long as they do not interfere with the WHS built-in apps (like another back-up app or another web server like Apache). I have run nearly 2 dozen other apps on my WHS over the last several years, most having to do with application development and several databases, but also more basic apps like WinZip, FTP programs, media apps to work with .mkv and other video formats, you name it.

While there are few people out there that do that much with their WHS, it is still Windows, and as such can run nearly anything you want. Just be careful.

Also, as Dave mentioned, price is a BIG factor as well ;)

MrCrispy

MrCrispy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Both WHS v1 and v2 have IIS built in, so running a website is no problem. Setting it up can be a bit tricky if you are not familiar with IIS and it is possible to screw up the WHS website in the process. Not trying to be scary, but it is easy to do (yes, I have done this myself, so I know, lol).

In addition you can run any other windows application on either version without issue, so long as they do not interfere with the WHS built-in apps (like another back-up app or another web server like Apache). I have run nearly 2 dozen other apps on my WHS over the last several years, most having to do with application development and several databases, but also more basic apps like WinZip, FTP programs, media apps to work with .mkv and other video formats, you name it.

While there are few people out there that do that much with their WHS, it is still Windows, and as such can run nearly anything you want. Just be careful.

Also, as Dave mentioned, price is a BIG factor as well;)

Does WHS 2011 report its version number string as Server 2008 R2? I'm afraid it won't and some software enforces that. Price is a very good point but luckily I have MSDN so I can get both for the same price :) I also ran other apps on WHSv1 but there were always issues (e.g. registry hacks to get Live Mesh working) and maybe these issues are no longer present.

tbuck

tbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Does WHS 2011 report its version number string as Server 2008 R2? I'm afraid it won't and some software enforces that. Price is a very good point but luckily I have MSDN so I can get both for the same price :) I also ran other apps on WHSv1 but there were always issues (e.g. registry hacks to get Live Mesh working) and maybe these issues are no longer present.

That I can not answer definitively ATM since I do not have the RC running right now (I do not have another suitable test system available to keep v2 active for any length of time). I do recall that my 3DM2 software shows it as 2008 R2, but it does show v1 as Server 2003 Home Edition SP2, so that may be something the RTM will change. I have never had any issues with software like what you are mentioning, and I did have the Enterprise version of SQL Server running in trial mode on v1 for a while without it kicking it out. I know that one is restricted to certain versions of the server family.

Beyond that I have never had to resort to a reg hack to get anything to run (short of setting up uTorrent to run as a service) so can not offer any help in that regard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.