Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How To Restore A 64 Bit Pc Backup

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

raff98

raff98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have an Asus UL30A windows 7 64 bit. Due to certain issues, I need to restore to a good backup (complete restore) I get to the restore point - it does not find my network. I call HP, they say I need a 32 bit driver, 64 not supported. HP told me to pull the hard drive, and restore in another machine running 32 bit. That would invalidate my UL30a warranty. This is nuts, I can back up 64bit, but need 32 bit driver to restore? Anyone have any ideas, or a 32 bit Asus driver? This is my second machine, 470 failed, upgraded to 495, hard drive in it failed, then replaced that - month later whole system crashed and lost all my data. Now I have a seperate hard drive to back up the server! (sorry, my HP luck is not good)

Anyone know where I can get a correct 32 bit lan driver for the UL30A?

Thanks for help!

(anyone recommend a better backup system? 2 servers for sale)

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Garry

Garry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

I have an Asus UL30A windows 7 64 bit. Due to certain issues, I need to restore to a good backup (complete restore) I get to the restore point - it does not find my network. I call HP, they say I need a 32 bit driver, 64 not supported. HP told me to pull the hard drive, and restore in another machine running 32 bit. That would invalidate my UL30a warranty. This is nuts, I can back up 64bit, but need 32 bit driver to restore? Anyone have any ideas, or a 32 bit Asus driver? This is my second machine, 470 failed, upgraded to 495, hard drive in it failed, then replaced that - month later whole system crashed and lost all my data. Now I have a seperate hard drive to back up the server! (sorry, my HP luck is not good)

Anyone know where I can get a correct 32 bit lan driver for the UL30A?

Thanks for help!

(anyone recommend a better backup system? 2 servers for sale)

Head over to the Asus web site for your 32bit drivers.

WHS 2011 is 64bit and will offer you better driver support on restores.

JC634 (WGS)

JC634 (WGS)

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,242 posts
Garry is correct, all you need is a NIC driver so that restore process can make use of the NIC to access your server. The restore process has nothing to do with the system being restored being 32-bit or 64-bit, it simply needs a driver to make use of the NIC in your computer.

First, do you have or did you create a set of restore discs with your computer? If so, pull the NIC drivers off the drivers disc and put them on a USB drive. If not, go to the ASUS website as Garry indicated and pull the drivers (32-bit) off their website; put those drivers on a USB drive.

Start the restore process again. When the "load the drivers" screen comes up again, point the process to the folder on that USB drive. The restore process will use this driver to access your WHS, restore your machine, and life goes on.

I had to go through this exact same process a few weeks ago when my youngest caught a nasty virus on his brand new laptop. It was easier to restore then to clean the machine.

I agree with Garry in that WHS 2011 will be better then WHS v1 regarding drivers, however, it to will become a problem as new NICs are shipped with drivers that WHS 2011 does not recognize.

--- This is an inherent probrom with any MS OS, in regards to drivers. As a BMR device, MS simply needs to do a better job of extracting the NIC drivers from a machine to be able to allow the user to connect to a computer if it fails.

raff98

raff98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I did try the files I downloaded off the Asus web site, added to USB, however, did not work It showed an Atheos driver on the restore screen but could not find the server. I will dig for restore discs, but if not, can someone help me to ensure I got the right drivers (link if possible) (i disabled wirless so it would only use NIC)

Also, I downloaded the "windows home server files" from the server. (not folder, just files per HP tech). However, each of these is another folder, there are about 6 of them (all under root of "WHS Recovery" do I need to take these driver files out of their folder to, of, according to HP, just copy whatever is under the folder for WHS recovery"

Again, any link would help, not sure if driver I downloaded. is correct (went through Assus, selected windows 7 (not 64 bit, extracted these to USB.

If it helps ASUS UL30A-X5

Thanks everyonr!!!

raff98

raff98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I managed to find the driver install package. When I get the the connections box of restore, it shows the NIC card, but till cannot find the server. I must be missing something big.

Thank You again

JC634 (WGS)

JC634 (WGS)

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,242 posts

I managed to find the driver install package. When I get the the connections box of restore, it shows the NIC card, but till cannot find the server. I must be missing something big.

Thank You again

Just so we understand correctly, the restore procedure did find and *install* the drivers? Quite often driver packages are universal, but what you are looking for are Windows 2003 or Windows XP drivers, *not* Windows 7 drivers. These drivers are required for the restore program.

Windows 7 does enter into the process at all until the restore process is done and you reboot the restored machine.

hexland

hexland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
You could do a lot worse than pop over to Breaking Home Server and downloading the Client Restore Disc from there... I had similar problems trying to restore a 64-bit system and getting into a tizzy trying to get the right drivers, etc.. The Client Restore Disc from BHS had almost every driver pack under the sun slipstreamed in - and worked for me first time.

rcamacker

rcamacker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hexland, I realize this topic is a year old, but would you happen to still have that Client Restore Disc ISO?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.