Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Extremely Slow Network Browsing

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

crisscross

crisscross

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have this strange problem where my network slows down to a crawl whenever I access my WHS files using Windows Explorer. I also have Windows XP installed and when I use Windows XP opening a network folder is no different from opening a local folder.

The PC is connected to a wireless router through a Network cable.

Any suggestions?

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Garry

Garry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

I have this strange problem where my network slows down to a crawl whenever I access my WHS files using Windows Explorer. I also have Windows XP installed and when I use Windows XP opening a network folder is no different from opening a local folder.

The PC is connected to a wireless router through a Network cable.

Any suggestions?

Can you provide more detailed information about your network setup
and your WHS/PC hardware? That would be helpfull in helping you diagnose
your problem.

crisscross

crisscross

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Garry: Thank you for your reply.

I have a Buffalo Router WHR HP-G54.
The WHS runs on a AMD Sempron LE-1250 Processor and onboard Gigabit LAN. HD's are a WD and Samsung green drives.

The Windows 7 Machine is a Core i7860 processor with a Gigabyte motherboard connected through onboard LAN.

As mentioned, it's really fast on Windows XP on the same machine but Windows 7 really crawls and I think it might be a driver or settings issue?

Link to MotherboardGA-MA74GM-S2

Garry

Garry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
Can you clarify what version of WHS? ie WHSv1 or WHS 2011. Also
are you by chance using an advanced format WD drive with WHSv1
and if so have you jumpered pins 7/8 ? If you are using an advanced
format drive as your OS drive, that will cause many problems and
is not supported by MS.

Outside of the drives. Be sure to update your NIC drivers with the
latest.
  • mrwassen likes this

crisscross

crisscross

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Can you clarify what version of WHS? ie WHSv1 or WHS 2011. Also
are you by chance using an advanced format WD drive with WHSv1
and if so have you jumpered pins 7/8 ? If you are using an advanced
format drive as your OS drive, that will cause many problems and
is not supported by MS.

Outside of the drives. Be sure to update your NIC drivers with the
latest.

Hi Garry,

Thank you for your reply. I think I solved the problem. It was the NIC drivers. :) Windows 7 detected my NIC and I didn't bother checking the motherboard manufacturer's site as I figured Windows Update would take care of it.

Thank you for pointing me in that direction. I am running WHS1 and while I am using advanced format drive, I am not using them for the OS drive.

Speeds are much improved now, and now I can finally watch movies on the network and also burn CD's without having to first copy them over to my desktop.

mrwassen

mrwassen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Garry,

I realize this thread is over a year old, but I still wanted to thank you for suggesting updating the NIC drivers. Just like crisscross, I checked the device driver version (by clicking the "Update Driver" button in device manager), but Windows informed me I was on the latest and greatest. I then went to the Realtek website and found that the latest version was much more recent. After downloading and installing that driver, the gridlock I was experiencing when moving, copying or opening files on my WHS 2011 server was resolved.

Thanks again

mrwassen

Live2Surf

Live2Surf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Chalk up one more in 2014! I use Win 7 Ultimate and WHS 2011 with a hardwired connection. I was able to use the update in device manager on my Realtek NIC and it worked great. Went from like 13KB/s and lots of "not responding" messages to 20MB/s and no messages. I wish all bugs were this easy to fix! :)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,582 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor

Live2Surf, 

Yeah, Realtek drivers are .... crap.

Also, for performance, check my signature. It will also help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.