Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is There A Way To Get Smooth Streaming For Mkv Files?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

zicoz

zicoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Is there a way to get my MKVs available with the built in web streamer in WHS 2k11? My MP4s and avi files shows up and seems to work great, but my MKV-files does not. Even after I installed a splitter (LAV Filter)

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

generious

generious

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:VMware, WHS V1, WHS2011

Is there a way to get my MKVs available with the built in web streamer in WHS 2k11? My MP4s and avi files shows up and seems to work great, but my MKV-files does not. Even after I installed a splitter (LAV Filter)

Have a look here
http://social.micros...c1-c9a7baacd9d4

zicoz

zicoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you. Tried to install Shark, but didn't seem to work for me, guess I'll just slap a plugin onto my Mediaportal TV-server and use that for online streaming.

The one thing I like about Googles WebM is that it might be able to make MKV more available.

dagamer34

dagamer34

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Install DivX MKV codecs and MKV will work. Only problem is that there's a bug in Silverlight that causes the aspect ratio to always be 4:3 (and I know it's a bug in Silverlight, not DivX because even Recorded TV shows this bug.)

You'll also need to install AC3Filter if you want to stream Recorded TV with sound because of the Dolby Digital Plus encoding.

Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I've tried DivX codecs and lav splitter and neither make mkvs work via the web silverlight player. Not going to install any codec packs on my server.

Does anyone what else the server needs besides a 64 bit splitter? The files actually play fine locally in Windows Media Player on the server, they just aren't available via the web interface.

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,582 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor
*cough* Install Subsonic *cough* The newest version (4.4) supports streaming video over the web interface for it. And while it's a bit laggy for MKV at the default quality (which you can change), over the internet, it plays it very well! Sadly, streaming was the one thing that I would have considered WHS2011 for over v1, but SubSonic is much better than WHS2011's remote streaming, and all you need is the subsonic installer, and the transcode pack (namely lame and ffmpeg).

Oh, and you can access the audio, at least, on the Apps for Android, WP7 and iPhone. And I know you can use the browser and flash on Android to watch video.

http://subsonic.org/

(and no, I'm not trying to advertise it, I just know that it works *very* well with WHS)

Shidoshi

Shidoshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Interests:Network Engineerin' and such... Graphic arts... Jumping back in to programming. That's pretty much it. I'm a fairly boring person.
As long as you install something on the server (like the DivX Installer's MKV filter) that actually associates MKVs with WMP12 (and not just installs the codecs), remote streaming (and WMC clients on the local network when installed on the clients) will work over the website; however, it does not support subtitles and, as was said before, the Silverlight but displays aspect ratios at 4:3 regardless of the container's encoding.

Stuza

Stuza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:birds, fast bikes .... and beer!

As long as you install something on the server (like the DivX Installer's MKV filter) that actually associates MKVs with WMP12 (and not just installs the codecs), remote streaming (and WMC clients on the local network when installed on the clients) will work over the website; however, it does not support subtitles and, as was said before, the Silverlight but displays aspect ratios at 4:3 regardless of the container's encoding.

So Matroska, Haali Splitter and AC3Filter combination should do the trick perfectly then as this is what I use for my Windows 7 Media Centre?

Shidoshi

Shidoshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Interests:Network Engineerin' and such... Graphic arts... Jumping back in to programming. That's pretty much it. I'm a fairly boring person.

So Matroska, Haali Splitter and AC3Filter combination should do the trick perfectly then as this is what I use for my Windows 7 Media Centre?

As far as I remember, Haali Media Splitter is the only one that actually creates the MKV file association for WMP, but I don't recall if that applies to WMP12. I know it did for WMP11 on WHSv1 (if you installed WMP11 on your v1 server).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.