Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Server Backup Fails

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

rongo

rongo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have tried both manually and automatically to backup the server to A WD 3TB USB HD. If I do it manually I get a message showing "Preparing for backup" and after a minute or 2, the Backup Status id "unsuccessful". When I look at details for the "unsuccessful" backup, there is this message: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. Any suggestions as to what this means and how to correct it? Thanks,
Ron

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

mavrrick

mavrrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

I have tried both manually and automatically to backup the server to A WD 3TB USB HD. If I do it manually I get a message showing "Preparing for backup" and after a minute or 2, the Backup Status id "unsuccessful". When I look at details for the "unsuccessful" backup, there is this message: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. Any suggestions as to what this means and how to correct it? Thanks,
Ron

I have had this error as well for a few days and started to try several things in the end it ended up being a specific chkdsk command that corrected it.

The hit i got on how to correct it was from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952272

The magic command for me was running chkdsk /R to correct the issue on the problemm PC. Once completed i was able to do a backup. It appears that I may have a issue with the hard drive in that system.

It should also be notted that it was very confusing find this solution. At first I thought the problem was with the WHS 2011 connector having issues. The message was very cryptic and pretty much just told me it had some unknown problem. I finally tried to do the backup from the PC to a network share and it still failed. But then it showed the device I/O error.

I would suggest just doing a chkdsk /R and if that doesn't fix it follow that link and read the next step.

I also wonder why this was never an issuew th WHS V1 as it never had any issues. I have a hard time beliveing that problem just occured. It might be a good idea for anyone with a problem with backups to do a chkdsk /R as well and see if the problem still persists.

Geoff Coupe

Geoff Coupe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Ron

Ron, I think that you first need to partition your WD 3TB drive into two: one of 2TB and one of 1TB. The Server Backup process cannot handle drives bigger than 2TB. See this thread:

http://social.micros...5e-b7bbf28cfec6

Geoff Coupe

Geoff Coupe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
It's just struck me that this is the same question from the same person being posted in two different forums... Oh well, hope that it has helped him.

rongo

rongo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

It's just struck me that this is the same question from the same person being posted in two different forums... Oh well, hope that it has helped him.

Yes it is the same person...me! And the answer seems to be the same. WHS 2011 can't backup the server through the Dashboard function if the server contains more than 2TB of data or if the backup target is more than 2TB. (In my case, I had somewhat less 2TB of data on the server, but the external backup drive I was attempting to use is a WD 3TB HD. That is, apparently, a problem for WHS. I changed the external server backup HD to one less then 2TB and the server backup worked with no problems.) It's almost as if they they threw their hands up and said, OK, well we don't have a solution. Maybe someone else can fix the problem. Bad MS!

Ron

Geoff Coupe

Geoff Coupe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Yes it is the same person...me! And the answer seems to be the same. WHS 2011 can't backup the server through the Dashboard function if the server contains more than 2TB of data or if the backup target is more than 2TB. (In my case, I had somewhat less 2TB of data on the server, but the external backup drive I was attempting to use is a WD 3TB HD. That is, apparently, a problem for WHS. I changed the external server backup HD to one less then 2TB and the server backup worked with no problems.) It's almost as if they they threw their hands up and said, OK, well we don't have a solution. Maybe someone else can fix the problem. Bad MS!

Ron

Ah, hello Ron! Welcome...

Yes, the limitation in the Server Backup function of WHS 2011 is a real blow if you have more than 2TB to deal with. It tipped me into a rant when I first realised that it was there.

As PhilipJH says, over in the other place, the WHS 2011 team have assumed that home users won't have more than 2TB to deal with.

The issue is that they have built the Server Backup function on top of the backup mechanisms that exist in the underlying Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system. Those mechanisms use a method of backing up that can only handle 2TB of data per backup volume.

Instead of designing the Server Backup function in WHS 2011 to be able to deal with multiple backup slices (so that we could e.g. backup 6TB in three 2TB slices), they've just given us a simple, and hardcoded limit of 2TB. And the backup drive, as you've found, can only be a maximum of 2TB in its backup partition.

If you want to take a look at these underlying backup mechanisms, then you will have to use a Remote Desktop Connection to log into WHS 2011 directly and display the Administrator's desktop. Click on the Server Manager icon in the Taskbar, and you will have access to the Windows Server Backup system. Even this is limited in what you can accomplish. To really take advantage of what the backup engine has to offer, you would need to get into scripting.

In an business enterprise situation, the IT support staff will develop and use backup scripts that use the backup mechanisms in Windows Server 2008 R2 to handle multi-terabyte backups.

I , as a plain old home user, don't have either the luxury or the desire to go there.

rongo

rongo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Geoff,

Aha. Thanks for a reply that makes sense. I, too, am not happy that I can't do a server backup of more than 2TB and also have no plans to delve into the inner workings of WHS to try to make it work. That's way beyond my level of expertize (but maybe not yours). It just seems really strange to me that MS made the WHS 2011 capable of backing up more than 2TB but gave no consideration to making the server backup capable of backing up more than 2TB. It would be nice to have a piece of software that just works as expected. Very disappointing, but at least I now know why I can't use my 3TB HD for server backup. Thanks very much,
Ron

rongo

rongo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Geoff,

I read your "rant" after I made that last posting. What you "ranted" is pretty much what I thought. WHS 2011 seems to be an unfinished product. My thought is that most of the people who actually use WHS are advanced home users, but shouldn't have to be IT people. Most people I know with computers make no backups of any kind. I've lost enough data that I want backups, but I'm not enough of an expert to make any sense out of the documentation that I read and that you posted in your blog. So I guess I'd conclude that the market for Windows Home Server is not large enough for MS to spend enough time to make it a complete product that doesn't require a lot of additional tinkering with by the end user. I enjoyed reading your blog.

Ron

timwaite

timwaite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Windows Home Server 2011 Backup

I have WHS2011 with 250MB System drive plus a 2TB data and a 2TB backup drive.
After a first manual backup which was successful all my server backups have returned the error:

"One or more selected items were not included in Server Backup

'SERVER' 22/06/2011 02:44

The scheduled backup did not finish successfully and returned the following error code: 0

WHS only suggests:

To verify the connectivity of hard drives

1. Open the Dashboard.

2. Click Server Folders and Hard Drives, and then click Hard Drives.

3. Ensure that all of the hard drives listed in Server Storage are physically connected to the server and are turned on.

If the missing items are not intended to be backed up, you must remove them from Server Backup.

To remove items from Server Backup

1. Open the Dashboard

2. Click Computers and Backup, and then click Customize Backup for the server.

3. In the Customize Server Backup Wizard, click Next, and then click Change Server Backup settings.

4. Select the hard disk that is the backup destination.

5. Continue to the Select which items to back up page, and then clear the check boxes of the items that are not available for backup.

6. Finish the wizard."

I have verified my hard drives and they are OK. I have no idea which items are missing (is there any way to find out?) from the backup so can do nothing about it. These backups are all automatic and so far, none of the 25 have been successful.

rongo

rongo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Windows Home Server 2011 Backup

I have WHS2011 with 250MB System drive plus a 2TB data and a 2TB backup drive.
After a first manual backup which was successful all my server backups have returned the error:

"One or more selected items were not included in Server Backup

'SERVER' 22/06/2011 02:44

The scheduled backup did not finish successfully and returned the following error code: 0

WHS only suggests:

To verify the connectivity of hard drives

1. Open the Dashboard.

2. Click Server Folders and Hard Drives, and then click Hard Drives.

3. Ensure that all of the hard drives listed in Server Storage are physically connected to the server and are turned on.

If the missing items are not intended to be backed up, you must remove them from Server Backup.

To remove items from Server Backup

1. Open the Dashboard

2. Click Computers and Backup, and then click Customize Backup for the server.

3. In the Customize Server Backup Wizard, click Next, and then click Change Server Backup settings.

4. Select the hard disk that is the backup destination.

5. Continue to the Select which items to back up page, and then clear the check boxes of the items that are not available for backup.

6. Finish the wizard."

I have verified my hard drives and they are OK. I have no idea which items are missing (is there any way to find out?) from the backup so can do nothing about it. These backups are all automatic and so far, none of the 25 have been successful.

I've found that manual server backups always work for me. Scheduled server backups have a history of sometimes working and sometimes not. What seems to have helped in making the scheduled server backups successful most of the time is changing the scheduled time to a time that is considerably different than the computer backups to the WHS. Maybe having the computer backups and the server backups close together causes some kind of conflict. I have no idea, but it has helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.