Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Anyone Using An Ssd For Their Os Drive?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Andy D

Andy D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I'm rebuilding my current server and I'm going to have to purchase a boot drive to replace the one I currently use since I'll be selling my Mediasmart.

I was thinking of using a 30gb ssd for the OS for WHS 2011. Can anyone think of a reason why this would be a bad idea?

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Javadog

Javadog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I'm rebuilding my current server and I'm going to have to purchase a boot drive to replace the one I currently use since I'll be selling my Mediasmart.

I was thinking of using a 30gb ssd for the OS for WHS 2011. Can anyone think of a reason why this would be a bad idea?

Drive is too small.

As far as using an SSD over conventional mechanical storage, there is NO downside. I have been building SSD drives into machines for the OS for a couple years now. They are all plus and no negative. But as far as what you are doing, that drive is just too small to be considered for an OS partition.

I would suggest at least a 90GB drive (OCZ Vertex 2 would be an outstanding economical choice).

GaPony

GaPony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts
Yes, Virginia, there is a downside.

Price... a fairly large downside.

You could easily use two 320gb WD RE4 Enterprise Class drives in RAID1 for less than a single SSD. SSDs offer one advantage... speed. This isn't an important feature for a server OS drive. There is no evidence that SSDs are any more reliable in a server situation, although they do handle rough useage in a notebook PC, better than a conventional drive.

When I see the business community move to SSDs in a big way, I'll change my view. Until then, its just an enthusiast toy as they have lots of speed, but little capacity.

In full disclosure, I have 6 of them and like them for the way I use them. I don't use them on my server(s) for the reasons provided above.

Pook

Pook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
correct me if I'm wrong, but minimum hard drive requirements for WHS 2011 is 120 GB to 160 GB HDD space depending of if the OS is standard or essential. Is this correct? thats what I read while reading Microsoft website , if that's true 120 GB ssd range from $180-$275, I just ordered 3 TB internal hard drive for $117.00...

Again I might be incorrect or misunderstanding the notes i read so please correct me if I'm wrong.

chemikalguy

chemikalguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
No, it's only a 60GB requirement. I have mine installed on an old 64GB laptop SSD. Then, I have all of my storage on a RAID 5 array. It boots in just a few seconds, and is the most responsive system I've ever worked on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.