Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Whs 2011 Only Sees Half My Ram

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

gtholder

gtholder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello all,
I would appreciate some insights on troubleshooting my RAM problem. I am at work so I don't have complete hardware specs at hand, but here is the gist of my issue.

I have 8gb installed on the mobo as 2 4gb sticks installed as dual-channel, 16gb is max for this board.
The BIOS sees all 8 gb.
WHS "sees" all 8 gb on the system properties screen, but it reports "Installed memory (RAM): 8.0 GB (3.99 GB usable)"
I am NOT using a built in graphics card with shared memory which would be eating the ram, and the rest of the MB resources shouldn't take anywhere near 500KB, much less 4GB.

Any ideas on why my other 4 GB aren't usable?

Thanks for any help!

G.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

krunt

krunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hello all,
I would appreciate some insights on troubleshooting my RAM problem. I am at work so I don't have complete hardware specs at hand, but here is the gist of my issue.

I have 8gb installed on the mobo as 2 4gb sticks installed as dual-channel, 16gb is max for this board.
The BIOS sees all 8 gb.
WHS "sees" all 8 gb on the system properties screen, but it reports "Installed memory (RAM): 8.0 GB (3.99 GB usable)"
I am NOT using a built in graphics card with shared memory which would be eating the ram, and the rest of the MB resources shouldn't take anywhere near 500KB, much less 4GB.

Any ideas on why my other 4 GB aren't usable?

Thanks for any help!

G.

check your bios. I do not know which MB or bios you have, but my HP requires a bios selection to go from 1 stick to a pair. You have to turn on interleaving or dual channel memory.

gtholder

gtholder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

check your bios. I do not know which MB or bios you have, but my HP requires a bios selection to go from 1 stick to a pair. You have to turn on interleaving or dual channel memory.

Thanks for the reply. The motherboard is an MSI p55-GD65. As far as I know it was already set for dual channel mode, since it reports the ram mode during the POST and boot procedures.

Anyway I fixed the issue, though I can't say for certain what was wrong. I ended up running the memory sticks round robin through the memory slots even in "unsupported" configurations. when I put them back in their original slots, WHS decided to actually use all 8gb instead of just reporting that it was there but only 3.99gb was available. I think there may have been some micro-corrosion on one of the contacts and by shuffling them around i cleaned the contacts up a bit due to insertion and removal friction.

Thanks again!

G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.