Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Restore Computer Backups After Server Reinstallation

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Ilan

Ilan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I remember reading on the forum that after the re-installation of the server the backed up computers will be listed in the the Windows Home server console and there being a way to re-associate the computers to there collective backups but I can't find that thread. Does anyone remember where it was located?

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Dave Marchant (WGS)

Dave Marchant (WGS)

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,720 posts
If you restore the backups using the WHS BDBB add-in, the re-association will be automatic as it will put the PC's unique ID's back on the server. I have just done this moving from my home-brew Dell server to an HP X510.

I think I may have written what you were after, and if you can't get to where you need to be by restoring the backup database, post back and I'll give some more help.

gminnick

gminnick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am getting ready to move to WHS 2011 and am using a 2nd older system to build a new installation WHS v1 by using WHS BDBB to backup the BDB and then restore on the new WHS v1. This way I can reload current hardware with 2011. My added question to this thread is that do I need to re-install the connector on my workstations so they get added to WHS first or does the restore of the DBD recreate the clients in WHS? What is the order of restoring the DBD and adding clients to the new build of WHS v1?

Thanks

Dave Marchant (WGS)

Dave Marchant (WGS)

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,720 posts
Restore in BDBB recreates the clients, but it may be worth running discovery.exe on the clients to make sure (it is in the C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server folder). You should not need to reinstall the connector if the new server is up to the same patch level as the old one.

Restore BDBB before looking to see if you need to add the clients.
  • Rturnock likes this

gminnick

gminnick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Those steps worked perfect. Thanks very much!!!

Rturnock

Rturnock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having trouble restoring a BDBB backup.

I was taking off-site backups every months and when a disk died I replaced it and did a restore but the BDBB was damaged and the repair failed. I retried twice and had the same issue.

There's not much point in taking off-sites if they can't be restored so I bought a second, identical Acer server since I din't want to mess with my "production" server. I backed up the BDBB and tried to restore it to the second Acer and got exactly the same problem.

The backup disk is on a computer and shared to the servers, there were no errors with the backup and it appeared to complete correctly.

I use version 1.0.3.3 of Alex Kuretz utility to do the backup and restore.

Is there a trick, this is very frustrating.

Any help will be appreciated.

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,585 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor
Have you tried manually restoring?
As in, stop the backup service, copy the files over (should be a bunch of .dat files), and then restart the service.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.