Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Whs 2011 Motherboard Search

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

droppedatbirth

droppedatbirth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Currently have a HP EX485 running WHS, that needs to be replaced. I am looking to build a new 2011 WHS, looking for anyone what has built a new 2011 server that has good luck with finding driver for there motherboard or even if you had mixed or bad luck getting drivers to work for WHS 2011.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

gtholder

gtholder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Currently have a HP EX485 running WHS, that needs to be replaced. I am looking to build a new 2011 WHS, looking for anyone what has built a new 2011 server that has good luck with finding driver for there motherboard or even if you had mixed or bad luck getting drivers to work for WHS 2011.

I Built my server with a little more power for transcoding etc... I built mine based on a full size ATX Mobo, and am having great results with it. Specs as follows:

MSI P55-GD65 it has 9...9! internal and 1 external SATA headers, and USB 3.0. Socket LGA 1156 using an I5 760

All the drivers were either native in WHS, or WHS accepted the included drivers for win7 64 without hiccuping.

Rychek

Rychek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Location:"Where folks know what picante sauce should taste like."
  • Interests:Computers, Home Servers, Warhammer FB, Reading.
If you're using a consumer grade motherboard, you will have difficulty finding one with server 2008 R2 drivers. However, you can use Win 7 drivers as Win 7 and Server 2008 R2 are the same code base and driver model. If you have to have server drivers, you'll need to buy a server board.

droppedatbirth

droppedatbirth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

If you're using a consumer grade motherboard, you will have difficulty finding one with server 2008 R2 drivers. However, you can use Win 7 drivers as Win 7 and Server 2008 R2 are the same code base and driver model. If you have to have server drivers, you'll need to buy a server board.

Yes, would prefer to stick with server grade hardware, but would consider almost anything if it a good fit for my needs, I like my HP 485 but it will not be the best for WHS 2011. Would even be willing to buy pre-build(except HP) or barebone server, but would prefer something with modist power usage, dual cpu minimum, 4 bays, and onboard video which not all server have. The 485 being headless isn't to much of problem to rdp into but still not easy to troubleshoot if a problem comes up.

Current server is used for monitoring security cameras(constant 30-50% load), ftp access(very little), network storage(alot), and pc backups(3 pc's, 1 laptop). Dont' do any video streaming, but would imagine I will adventually.

Was looking at maybe something like a SuperServer 5037C-i(basebone), but not sure on WHS driver support...

Rychek

Rychek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Location:"Where folks know what picante sauce should taste like."
  • Interests:Computers, Home Servers, Warhammer FB, Reading.
Keep in mind that WHS 2011 is based on Server 2008 R2 Essentials and as such only supports a single CPU socket. You can cram multiple cores in that single socket, but it will not recognize/utilize more than one CPU socket. WHS v1 did not have this limitation.

Also remember that general driver support isn't an issue as you can use Windows 7 64 bit drivers for WHS 2011.

Edited by Rychek, 03 August 2011 - 04:55 AM.

rmassey

rmassey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
Here's the system I built early this year using a SM X9SCM-F-O MoBo... works fine, no driver issues.

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O
Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 ECC Unbuffered Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G
Intel 2100 Core i3 CPU
Western Digital RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
5 x WD15EARS data drives
Rosewill RC-219 eSata Card
Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Computer Case + 550W Power Supply

mavrrick

mavrrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
My server is running on a Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2-B3 and everything is fine. It loaded and had an issue with 2 things which were quickly resolved with the Chipset drivers for windows 7. Just download the zip instead of the executeable and let windows find the drivers for the items that did setup correctly.

falco

falco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have just purchased a Asus E35M1-I DELUXE motherboard for my new server build. I liked the 18watts at full load.
It has 6 sata ports and inbuilt video, so thats no mean feat.

mavrrick

mavrrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Hehe But can you stream an HD movie at 5mbps.

But that is a great point. The new APP processors are a great low powered option if you don't need much CPU processing power. As a reference mine has a core i5 2400 and 6 drives and runs about 60 watts.

mavrrick

mavrrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
And that is at idle

Teetime

Teetime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Here's the system I built early this year using a SM X9SCM-F-O MoBo... works fine, no driver issues.

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O
Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 ECC Unbuffered Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G
Intel 2100 Core i3 CPU
Western Digital RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
5 x WD15EARS data drives
Rosewill RC-219 eSata Card
Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Computer Case + 550W Power Supply

rmassey, I am considering a similar build with this same MB and CPU. Does this motherboard support suspend to disk (hibernate)?
  • robot_dan likes this

robot_dan

robot_dan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I like this build but why did you pick Core i3 over Xeon E3-1200 processor family? I am concidering an almost identical build but had picked out the Xeon processor. Am I making a mistake?

robot_dan

robot_dan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

rmassey, I am considering a similar build with this same MB and CPU. Does this motherboard support suspend to disk (hibernate)?

I like this build but why did you pick Core i3 over Xeon E3-1200 processor family? I am concidering an almost identical build but had picked out the Xeon processor. Am I making a mistake?

rmassey

rmassey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Lower cost. I picked up an I3 2100 for $99. A Xeon is in the $200+ price range. For my use, I barely use the CPU power of the i3.

rmassey

rmassey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

not sure... the mobo manual is here:
http://www.supermicr...ces/results.cfm
take a look.

LorenH

LorenH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Just built two of these WHS 2011

ASUS M4A87TD Motherboard
AMD Phenon II X6 Thuban 3.3 GHz
Antec 300 case and 550 watt ps
8 GB Corsair RAM
1 Tb boot disk
2 TB RAID 5 using on board SATA ports

No problems install and adding RAID array. Used as small retail business and second server offsite backup / home use.
I am impressed.

therealdippy

therealdippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Should that be "you *may* have difficulty"? I only had trouble with the Intel LAN chip on my consumer grade motherboard, but when searching the web I found that this seems to be an issue with Intel, and there are plenty of other chips that would have no problem. Whilst I agree that for 100% confidence server HW should be used, however experienced DIY'ers should not be put off trying to build a home server with consumer grade components.

GaPony

GaPony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts
The thing about buying a consumer grade mobo for a server is that you get (and pay for) alot of stuff you don't need. With a server class mobo, you get everything you need and very little that you don't need. The difference is that the money spent goes into better component quality instead of useless bells and whistles.

Its a choice that has little to do with experience at building a system. Its more about knowledge of what works best. An example: A good, reliable Intel socket 1155 consumer class mobo is going to price out at around $150.00. A good, reliable Intel socket 1155 enterprise class server mobo is going to price out at around $199.00.

If you're going low budget, then it doesn't matter. You'll be on borrowed time anyway.

The intel nic/chipset issue is well know and easily corrected with a driver download until MS puts out an update that includes the newest drivers in the basic library.

Teetime

Teetime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
GaPony, you helped me with this decision a couple weeks ago and you will be happy to know I have now finished my first ever PC build and I am really glad I chose a server MB (Supermicro X9SCM-F). I had zero problems with drivers.

In my case, a key consideration was ease of headless operation/maintenance. The X9SCM-F supports IPMI which allowed me to mount my installation ISO's or CD/DVDs on my laptop and install to the server - no monitor, keyboard or CD drive needed at the server. It also allowed me to set server bios settings before I installed the OS and drivers.

Jerry

GaPony

GaPony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts
I'm glad to hear that you're up and running. IPMI alone is probably worth the additional cost of these mobos, but the higher quality construction is what its really all about. I'd be interested in seeing what kind of file transfer rates you're getting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.