Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Connector Install Fail Xp 32 & Success For Win 7 64

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

whs2011help

whs2011help

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
*****UPDATE*******

Excellent Info Here: http://social.techne...icles/3887.aspx
Event Logs were useless found info: On XP machines the log files are located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs connectcomputer.log

Service issue for me with Net.Tcp Port Sharing, it will not start, generates an error. Reg points to correct location, can not find info, will need help with this.

Other good information: http://social.techne...icles/3941.aspx and http://forum.wegotse...ct-help-please/ great info regarding file permissions and fat 32 to ntfs problems.

New WHS 2011 build. Install went smooth. IP address for Server is static, assigned from router with DHCP. Upnp is on in the router. I installed connector no problem on windows 7 64 machine. On two XP Pro SP3 and one XP Media Center 2005 all 32 bit, connector fails at about 95% every time. The computers will show up in WHS, but connector software does not install correctly. I can RDP into WHS just fine. If I ping "server name" it responds, if I ping "IP number" it responds. I can access shared folders fine.

What I have tried.

Changing DNS (from assigned 8.8.8.8 to obtain automatically)
Opening required ports in router (win 7 machine worked with just Upnp)
Turning Firewall off in router and clients
Turning Ip6 off on WHS
Assigning Static IP address to adapter in WHS (changing it as opposed to having router assign it).
I have checked services IIS on WHS, it is on.
I have Workgroup assigned correctly.
I made WHS the master browser.
....and who knows what else I've tried and forgot about already.

Please HELP.....I built this for the client backups and now I seem to just have a file server like the machine it's going to replace.

PS, everything is up to date....clients, router, WHS, bios, etc.....
Yes, time zone is correct, time is set properly on all machines.
I also uninstalled and re-installed .net and tried the find my serevr tool. I have googled for 12 hours and really need help.

Thanks for any and all input.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,477 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor
Do you have .NET Framework 4 installed on the XP machine?

whs2011help

whs2011help

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes .NET 4 and all updates have been installed...and removed and installed and updated.
Net.TCP Port Sharing Service ....I still can not get running.
Had a caution in .NET install logs about Internet Information Sharing service (IIS).
found info that Net.TCP Port Sharing Service required that.
I was able to install IIS and get it running, but Net.TCP Port Sharing still does not start properly , just hangs "starting".
Have tried another install this morning, will check logs, but think it's going to point me back to the Net.TCP service.....Thanks for help and suggestions.

Do you have .NET Framework 4 installed on the XP machine?

whs2011help

whs2011help

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
*******SOLVED*******
I hope this helps someone else...If you know of a better place to post so Microsoft fixes this please repost.
It was definitely a the Net.TCP Port Sharing Service issue for me, first identified in the logs.

I was able to restart the service by replacing the SMSvcHost.exe file and the SMSvcHost.exe.config files found in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319 with the files found in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation.

I have done this on one of the XP machines. I have three more to try it on.
After Net.TCP Port Sharing Service was started I ran the connector program again. IT WORKED!!!

I will update post when it works on other machines...Looking for feedback and for others to call this to Microsoft's attention.

********Update*********
I have sucessfully connected 3 more xp pro client machines with this same fix that would not connect prior to it.

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,477 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor
Glad you found a solution. If you haven't already, please post your "bug" and solution on the Connect website.

jimbop99

jimbop99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you Thank you Thank you! I've tried many of the other "fixes" and yours worked. I found TCP.net was trying to start but wouldn't. My son's computer also boots faster because the service is no longer hanging.

*******SOLVED*******
I hope this helps someone else...If you know of a better place to post so Microsoft fixes this please repost.
It was definitely a the Net.TCP Port Sharing Service issue for me, first identified in the logs.

I was able to restart the service by replacing the SMSvcHost.exe file and the SMSvcHost.exe.config files found in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319 with the files found in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation.

I have done this on one of the XP machines. I have three more to try it on.
After Net.TCP Port Sharing Service was started I ran the connector program again. IT WORKED!!!

I will update post when it works on other machines...Looking for feedback and for others to call this to Microsoft's attention.

********Update*********
I have sucessfully connected 3 more xp pro client machines with this same fix that would not connect prior to it.

Susanb

Susanb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
For all those impacted by this, can you tell me if you had any of the following installed:

a. Acronis
b. Quickbooks
c. Forefront a/v
d. Microsoft security essentials?

Susanb

Susanb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
NEW SOLUTION FOR THIS ISSUE:
The Connector has encountered an unexpected error

If you receive an error that says "The Connector has encountered an unexpected error" please also check if the NetTCPPortSharing service is in starting status but not successfully started. In some situations, NetTCPPortSharing service fail to start on XP client with .NET 4.0 installed. That may caused by several reasons including

1.LocalService account does not have proper access rights to the root of the C: drive
2.LocalService account does not have proper access rights to the C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\V4.0.30319\SMSvcHost.exe.Config file 3. "The disk on which the C: Volume exists is a Dynamic disk"

You may be able to resolve this issue by perform the following steps:

1.Give LocalService account Read permission to C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\V4.0.30319\SMSvcHost.exe.Config
2.OR Give LocalService Read and List Folder Contents permission to the root of C:
  • bobbyc likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.