Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How To Include Files On Whs V1 In Windows 7 Search Results

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

JeePee

JeePee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Hi,

I have Windows Home Server (v1) and Windows 7 on my laptop. I store lot's of documents in the shared folder on the server. These folders are added to the Windows 7 library on my laptop, but when I use Windows search on that laptop, most of the time it does not return any results from the documents that are located on the home server and sporadically one or two files.

If I go to 'change how windows searches' / 'indexing options', all included locations are local on the laptop, and the WHS folders are not listed. I can't find a way to add the WHS folders either. Any idea if it is possible to get them included?

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Dave Marchant (WGS)

Dave Marchant (WGS)

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,712 posts
WHS should be running Windows Search 4 as it was included in one of the major updates, but some users have disabled it as it impacts performance. If you are one of those it may be the cause of the problem but otherwise it just may be an issue with Search on the server.

Search in Win 7 is certainly picking up documents on my server with not issues.

JeePee

JeePee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Thanks Dave. I do have Windows Search 4 and didn't disable it. There are files in the index and win7 does pick up a few files, but most of them are not picked up. Even when I search for a word that I included in the file name, they are not picked up. I just told it to rebuild the index and will see if that resolves it.

So do I understand correctly that Win7 uses the index created by Windows Search on the Home Server?

Thanks
JP

WHS should be running Windows Search 4 as it was included in one of the major updates, but some users have disabled it as it impacts performance. If you are one of those it may be the cause of the problem but otherwise it just may be an issue with Search on the server.

Search in Win 7 is certainly picking up documents on my server with not issues.

Dave Marchant (WGS)

Dave Marchant (WGS)

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,712 posts
It should use the server's index. I am trying to think where I have seen a write up on this. Something in the back of my mind says it the Win 7 system only looks at shares that are included in libraries, but I may be wrong. I have a dead disk on my server today and am struggling to remove it so can't do any more testing at the moment.

JeePee

JeePee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
The files I can't find are in the 'public' folder on the home server and this folder is included in the 'Documents' folder of my Win7 pc.
I just searched directly on the server and even there it does not find all the files. For example, in one of the folders I have saved PDF scans from invoices. The are 4 files where the file name starts with 'Mediamarkt' and if I use the desktop search on the home server, it only finds one of them. The only difference I see between them is that the files it doesn't find are set to 'read-only', but I can't believe that that would cause the file not being indexed. I am going to do some testing with that this weekend...

Good luck with your HDD.

JeePee

JeePee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
ok, removing the read-only attribute did not make a difference. I found another difference though,
- the one file that is found by windows search was printed with 'pdf creator'
- the three files that are not found by windows search were scanned by a xerox copier. They are all scanned as text rather then an image with the 'searchable' option enabled). I can search for the words in the contents when I open in foxit pdf reader.

Although I can understand that it may not be possible to index a scanned document when the original was put 'slanted' (?) on the copier, it won't explain why it's not found when searching for a word in the file name.

But... I googled some more and this is next on my test list:
http://blog.techhit....-windows-search
http://www.adobe.com....jsp?ftpID=2611

Results will follow

JeePee

JeePee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Finally after a very long research I found what the problem was.

1) It was the PDF filter which Windows search / indexer needs to index PDF files. The iFilter from Adobe did not the trick, it gives a pdf iFilter in the indexing file types. It may be good enough but I don't know because of another problem so before finding the real problem I uninstalled it and installed the full adobe reader as suggested by someone somewhere. With that you get a 'pdf' and a 'pdfxml' filter. I don't know if it makes a real difference though.

2) Now the real problem is described here. It is because all missing files had a 'T' attribute along with the 'A' attribute. I did some research and it is a 'Temporary' attribute that programs should use on temporary files. It took some time to find out about the attribute because it's not shown anywhere in the file properties. It is only shown in windows explorer when you add the attribute column and only in Windows 7, not on the home server. Unfortunately Windows does not allow you to switch it off either (as with 'Archive', 'Hidden', 'Index' and 'Read-Only').
The Windows answers page gives a workaround to copy it to a FAT32 disk or using robocopy but who wants to copy all the files from the server? So then began the search for a tool to switch it off and yeah! I found BulkFileChanger from Nirsoft. Screenshot suggest it does not support this attribute because the option is added after the screenshot was taken.

3) Last but not least the 'allow indexing' attribute. If the file properties (under advanced) have this setting disabled then the attribute 'I' is shown in the explorer column and the file does not get indexed either.

I also found out that Foxit PDF reader is the root cause of the problem. I scan documents on a Xerox machine and they get emailed to me. If you open the attached pdf file with Foxit reader and choose 'save as' it saves the file with the AHRI attributes (other programs save files with just the 'A' attribute). I hear you say 'maybe it's the Xerox'. Well no, there was no problem if I drag the attachment out of the email onto my disk rather then open+save as.

Many many hours later I am glad I found the problem. I just share it here to help others who might have this problem too.

GaPony

GaPony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts
FWIW, I map my main shared folders as a drive on my desktop PC. Windows 7 has its own search index for those mapped drives. This is probably a slight performance hit on my PC, but not enough that I've been able to notice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.