Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Waking Hp Microserver When Remote Pc Turned On

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

ps burley

ps burley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi new to WHS 2011 and forum, had fun and games but finally got my HP proliant microserver installed with WHS2011 and installed lights out which after some headacjes is working.

I have a revo downstairs (small pc) used as my media player that streams from VOB files stored on the microserver.

I have lights out on a time schedule but what I want to be able to do is wake the server when the revo is switched on, I read somewhere that the server can be remotely woken when a PC is turned on...can any one help me with this please I have searched for the info to no avail.

paul

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Geoff Coupe

Geoff Coupe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Page 31 of the LightsOut manual:

Home Server running on demand (automatic mode)

Scenario: Windows Home Server is used for file sharing, streaming and remote access
Intention: Run Windows Home Server automatically as needed, sleep the rest of the day to conserve energy.

Recommended Settings
 Standard delay and action: 5 minutes, suspended mode or hibernation.
 Monitored sources: All 4 standard sources
 Select all Windows Home Server Clients and all IP clients for monitoring on computers sub-tab (default).
 Enable “automatic wake-up” on all clients (computers sub-tab, default).
 Disable “client side suspend” on all clients (computer sub-tab, default).

Result
Windows Home Server will wake-up when a client computer is started or resumed from standby. Windows Home Server will stay awake as long as one or more clients are running or as long as audio or video streaming are active.

Additional options
 Use network load monitoring or monitor shares for devices which are always active (for example Apples iPad).
 Configure Wake-On-Wan on your router to enable wake-up over internet.

ps burley

ps burley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Page 31 of the LightsOut manual:

Home Server running on demand (automatic mode)

Scenario: Windows Home Server is used for file sharing, streaming and remote access
Intention: Run Windows Home Server automatically as needed, sleep the rest of the day to conserve energy.

Recommended Settings
 Standard delay and action: 5 minutes, suspended mode or hibernation.
 Monitored sources: All 4 standard sources
 Select all Windows Home Server Clients and all IP clients for monitoring on computers sub-tab (default).
 Enable “automatic wake-up” on all clients (computers sub-tab, default).
 Disable “client side suspend” on all clients (computer sub-tab, default).

Result
Windows Home Server will wake-up when a client computer is started or resumed from standby. Windows Home Server will stay awake as long as one or more clients are running or as long as audio or video streaming are active.

Additional options
 Use network load monitoring or monitor shares for devices which are always active (for example Apples iPad).
 Configure Wake-On-Wan on your router to enable wake-up over internet.

Geoff thanks for replying, I am not that hot on IT although pleased I have got this far, the instructions above are a little confusing for me,,, I dont know what it means by "computers sub tab default etc" ...also I see a potential problem with above in that I dont want the server to switch on when any of the other devises do ie will summarize below:-
1. HP Microserver (WIFI N)set up so hibernate most of day and enabled from 6pm - 10pm when I use video streamer most. (scheduled via lights out calander)
2. REVO (WIFI N) which I use to stream video.... this I want to bring the server out of hibernate if I switch on at other times other than 6-10pm,,, (a sub question here is I assume I need to install connect on this unit but to do so means I need to log on with a password which I would prefer not to - I like to switch on the REVO and it boots straight in to windows 7 without need to log on as user (auto log on) I believe WHS connect will not install with auto log on.
3. My wifes (WIFI N) laptop,,,,I only want this to back up to server...when she is using during the daytime I DO NOT want the server to wake as there is no need?
4. My main desktop (hardwired) which I use synctoy to WHS to preserve file format for videos to VOB so they stream ok (I am not using the WHS back up for this machine ???)

So this is how I am trying to use my system, I really only want the server to wake on the revo active and I will leave wife machine on at night for auto back up.

Does this all make sense to you? finally as I say I need a little more detail due to me still learning all this exciting stuff.... thank you + anyone for the help. PAUL

Geoff Coupe

Geoff Coupe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
OK, here goes...

I have an HTPC that will cause the WHS 2011 server to wake up if it is sleeping. I do that by going to the "Computers" tab on the LightsOut Add-in (see first screenshot), and then selecting the "HTPC" entry, and then clicking the "View the device properties" link to get the "Computers sub tab" window (second screenshot).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Make sure that your REVO has the same settings as my HTPC, in particular the "Automatically boot server on wake or resume".

Now, you rightly say that you should install Connect on your REVO, and you need to have an account for your REVO "user" set up on your WHS 2011, and this will require a password. My HTPC has a user "Media" set up on it. It has a password, and I've used the same password for the Media account on my WHS 2011. The trick is to set up your REVO to automatically logon to the "user" account without the need for you to enter the password... To do this, follow the steps here.

ps burley

ps burley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
thanks Geoff, I can still not get the server to wake from the revo, I have managed to get the revo to connect and now it auto logs on as per your instructions but when I use calander to put server in to hibernate and then turn revo on its does not wake the server...here is the screen shot showing HTPC settings...hope you can help in what has been a long day (but nearly achieving my goals !!)

ps burley

ps burley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
sorry i missed screen shot geoff here it is (refer to previous post words) see attached

Attached Files

Geoff Coupe

Geoff Coupe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Paul, just a quick thought before I go to bed - I wonder if the difference is caused by the fact that my HTPC is on a wired Ethernet connection, but that your REVO is on WiFi?

I think it's time to ask your question over in the LightsOut forum. Martin (the developer) is usually very responsive to support issues such as this. Ask here:

http://forum.wegotse.../299-lightsout/

ps burley

ps burley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Paul, just a quick thought before I go to bed - I wonder if the difference is caused by the fact that my HTPC is on a wired Ethernet connection, but that your REVO is on WiFi?

I think it's time to ask your question over in the LightsOut forum. Martin (the developer) is usually very responsive to support issues such as this. Ask here:

http://forum.wegotse.../299-lightsout/

Geoff I really do appreciate your help I am off to bed too loooong day and I will contact the forum tomorrow...since speaking to you another issue has developed despite trying a test to make sure revo (media center) could see my videos its now saying no shared folders(after I have syntoyed them all across) from what I can see the follders pauls backups & videos are set as shared but again is there different types of sharing and can you help me set it up correct I have no idea why I could see them before but now I can not alll I have done is create another folder called videos then each video (dvd) is in a sub folder of that....arhhhh

ps burley

ps burley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
geoff just a correction revo is not via wifi is actually ethernet homeplugs ....def will not wake up server still.posted on lights out forum as suggested but no answer..:-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.