Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Powercfg Setting Keeps Changing

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

joe m

joe m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello, for some unknow reason the hibernation setting keeps disabling on my server. I have used the "powercfg -h" on to enable hibernation. When I check the schedule in LO hibernation is selected. When I discover that the server did not hibernate at the scheduled time I check the schedule again and find that hibernation is NOT available on my server. I then have to rerun the "powercfg -h on" to again enable hibernation.... it appears that somehow the hibernation state keeps getting cancelled on my server. Any advice? Thx.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Tinus

Tinus

Advanced Member

• Add-In Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts
Strange, have not seen something similar before. Can you give some more details about your hardware/software?
What other software is installed which may interfere here?

When you enable hibernation via powercfg and the run powercfg -a, does it confirm that hibernation is enabled?

joe m

joe m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have a HP EX495. only additional software is: Lights-Out, AWIECO Driveinfo & HPMssService. Yes, I did confirm that hibernation was enabled each time. It also shows as enabled in the calendar schedule. At some point during the day something somehow is changing it back to NOT enabled. I have reinstalled LO on the server and reloaded the connector and LO client on my admin laptop but the problem is still occuring. I would prefer not to have to reload the connector and LO client on the other computers becauseWHS2011 will disassocaite the previous backups. Any other suggestions? Thx

Tinus

Tinus

Advanced Member

• Add-In Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

I would prefer not to have to reload the connector and LO client on the other computers becauseWHS2011 will disassocaite the previous backups.

Sure, that will not fix the problem.
I can't tell you which process is resetting hibernation. You may want to uninstall all other Add-Ins and then install one, make some tests etc. to identify the one which creates the trouble.

joe m

joe m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
ok, i will give that a try. I have uninstalled everything except LO and the HPMssService and I will wait to see if the issue contunues. I also checked all of the event logs but I couldn't find any entries regarding the powercfg or hibernation. I will keep checking throughout the day to be sure that hibernation remains enabled and let you know. Thx

polar

polar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have exactly the same problem on my server and wonder if you found a resolution? It's drving me nuts! I've got 2 HP Microserver's running WHS 2011. One is running Stablebit Drivepool and both AVA Media copy addin's (nothing else) The only workaround I've come up with is to setup a scheduler task to run "powercfg /hibernate on" every 30 mins, but this is obviously not an ideal solution.
I also have a problem that one server will not shut down to hibernate, there seems to be nothing that is keeping it awake. I wonder if there is a log somewhere that can tell me why LightsOut has decided not to sleep? It also seems to get woken up a 6am every morning by some unspecified event (and then won't go back to sleep). The only way I can get it to shut down is using a calendar event but this isn't what I want -- I want an on-demand server starting up when the client boots and shutting down when the client shuts down.

I've been through the manual and setup the drivers / settings as recommended.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tinus

Tinus

Advanced Member

• Add-In Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts
I'm running a HP N36L without issues. But I'm running neither Stablebit Drivepool nor AVA Media. Can you uninstall these and test again?

polar

polar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Tried uninstalling the Addins and still get the issue - any other suggestions?

Tinus

Tinus

Advanced Member

• Add-In Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts
Very strange. What other software is installed? Are there any hints in event log? Are you using MS drivers or HP drivers?

polar

polar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Event Log:

LoService: seems to do a ResumeSuspend every day at 6am even though no WOL was sent -- is this normal behaviour for Lights-Out?

Also, it should hibernate after 10mins of idle, but does not for some reason (uptime chart shows no activity).

In System : Power-Troubleshooter - showed"Resumed from Sleep" - wake source "unknown"

Don't see any error messages.

Other software:
- Perfect Disk 12 WHS Edition
- Crashplan 3.0.3

System:
HP N36L Microserver

Drivers:
- Network : HP NC107i PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter v14.2.0.5
- Display : ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 series v8.730.4.0
- All others : standard Microsoft

BIOS:
- updated to latest HP BIOS ("TheBay" version with support for AHCI on all ports and WOL support).

Tinus

Tinus

Advanced Member

• Add-In Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

LoService: seems to do a ResumeSuspend every day at 6am even though no WOL was sent -- is this normal behaviour for Lights-Out?

Yes, please see here http://www.homeserve...faq_standby.htm

Other software:
- Perfect Disk 12 WHS Edition
- Crashplan 3.0.3

Do not have these two on my system

Drivers:
- Network : HP NC107i PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter v14.2.0.5
- Display : ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 series v8.730.4.0
- All others : standard Microsoft

I was using the MS driver for the NIC, have now installed the HP for testing, all others are the same as yours.

BIOS:
- updated to latest HP BIOS ("TheBay" version with support for AHCI on all ports and WOL support).

That unofficial russian one? Please try an official first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.