Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help! I Need A Free Antivirus Program?!?

- - - - - eset coupon

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

lisasctt4

lisasctt4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Something that block virus, protects computer, and can take away the virus.

We all know well regarding the fact that an antivirus in our day after day life. We dare never to risk our computer to Trojans and other worm which can poison our favorite computers be it a laptop or perhaps a desktop. The single method of excluding computer viruses and other malevolent programs is the use of an effectual antivirus software application. An effective quality antivirus delivers "real time" protection for this electronic mail and also files they receive. Having the appropriate firewall and antivirus software could make a world of the transformation. Keeping your computer secure isn't just about having a mean antivirus software tool fixed on your system. When using the constantly increasing use of that Internet you can find endless computer threats kicking off every day. You may get best antivirus protection software at discounted rates from eset coupon page http://www.dailydeal...om/coupons/eset.

Best Firewall Programs
Antivirus firewall software once in a while comes as a set of separate programs packaged into one security suite. However, there's antivirus programs that may be installed as individual applications. Additionally , there are individual firewall programs which might replace the bundled basic Windows Firewall that gets installed with new or updated versions for this Microsoft Windows operating system. When you want to block your computer from prospective hackers who can retrieve information out of your PC, you are looking for trustworthy antivirus firewall software, this is now the 1st line of protection your computer has in contrast to viruses and malevolent software's. It's imperative to realize the difference between just an antivirus and firewall software, an antivirus generally detects and removes programs which have been infecting the system.

Best Antivirus Programs
You can find about a lot of computer threats that might affect your system including, malware, spyware, spam and Trojans. To guard your computer against every one of these harmful programs it is necessary to have overall PC protection. It is very essential to shield your computer mainly if you utilize the Internet as this is often how most computer viruses are contracted. Antivirus software will protect you beside all common computer viruses. It is vital that antivirus product is kept up to date as new viruses are created every day. Your antivirus definitions need to be updated frequently so your antivirus knows how to accommodate any new viruses. Antivirus software also provides you protection against something that is termed spyware. Spyware gathers personal information about you, in addition to passwords and sends it to another person over the Internet. If you are computer gets infected with spyware you could possibly have your identity stolen.

So one can defend your computer from destructive viruses you can expect to seek out antivirus software that is included with a firewall. If a hacker sees your computer features a firewall it could suspend them from attempting break into your system. A firewall works by terminating all the internet ports you are not using on your computer. Get best virus protection software at discounted rates with online coupon search available online.

Save your computer from viruses and malware by getting latest anti-virus program from eset discount page http://www.dailydeal...om/coupons/eset and save some huge cash with online coupon search.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
MSE - free from Microsoft.

jodyn

jodyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
avast.com free version is also really good

bobbyc

bobbyc

Advanced Member

• WGS Supporter
  • 625 posts
  • Interests:Shoveling SNOW
Contributor
I highly recommend MSE and MalwareBytes an excellent combination. Not to mention FREE!
  • Drashna Jaelre (WGS) likes this

ingebolk

ingebolk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I dunno... i read a lot about free antivirus systems, avast came out as a winning there... but i like AVG 2013 aswell, it protects pretty good & i always use malwarebytes as a backup.

Guest_Mark42_*

Guest_Mark42_*
  • Guests

I use AVG free and Spybot.   No problems.

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,107 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor

AVG and Avast have become too nag-ware, and bloated for me. They seem to run about as good as Norton or McAfee, and that says something.  :(

Personally, Microsoft Security Essentials gets the job done, and is super light weight. Won't slow down the system like the previously listed will... and no need for spybot, most of that stuff is basically built in to every virus scanner any more... or is a lot more control than you need.... if you have the UAC enabled, you get at least an admin prompt first.

spile

spile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

A recent review in PCPro of free solutions rated Avast as the best. AVG (which I currently use) was last years winner.

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,107 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor

.... I wonder how much money changed hands for those ratings....   I've seen a wide variety of what is "best".  And honestly, I trust Lifehacker.com more than "PC Pro".  And IIRC, lifehacker recommended MSE for a free virus scanner. 

Guest_Mark42_*

Guest_Mark42_*
  • Guests

Thought I would give MSE a try.  Uninstalled AVG and Spybot2.   So far so good.   Might put back Spybot2 for its utility features.

Guest_Mark42_*

Guest_Mark42_*
  • Guests

Just a FYI....   I have not put back spybot2 yet, but I noticed that MSE does not ask if Registry entries should be allowed or not.   Kind of miss that.   

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,107 posts
Contributor

Honestly, I found it annoying more than anything. :(

If you're going to allow registry changes, then you're going to give it admin privileges via the UAC... so why should you have to click 20+ okay boxes, instead of just the one?

spile

spile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

MSE came out very poorly. It  added 13 secs to the boot time, used 125Mb of ram and stopped only 67% of the malware tested including 10% of established threats.

By comparison Avast also added 13 sec to the boot time, used 82Mb of RAM and stopped 98% of malware and successfully cleaned up 79% of infections. 

AVG 2013 had a 91% protection rate and a 272Mb footprint.

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,107 posts
Contributor

Out of curiosity, where did you get those statistics?

Also, do they include the IO footprint, which can be significantly more noticeable than RAM?

Guest_Mark42_*

Guest_Mark42_*
  • Guests

Honestly, I found it annoying more than anything. :(

If you're going to allow registry changes, then you're going to give it admin privileges via the UAC... so why should you have to click 20+ okay boxes, instead of just the one?

I did not have your experience with constatnly have to "OK" registry updates.   What I found is when installing applications, it let me allow the necessary registry entries, but block the entries that cause the "update your software to the latest version..." that pop up 3 months later.   For evey one registry entry that is mandatory, there seems to be three more that are for data collection, upgrades, more advertising, etc.   Even a legitimate purchased app has these.   I found that SB prevented the annoyance of cleaning up the crap later by just clicking "no" now.   Another plus was choosing which websites to allow or disallow registry or other updates.    If you use any Torrent sites, you know how they spam your registry. 

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,107 posts
Contributor

I've never had that spammy issue. But I also use AdBlock and not-script for Chrome.  And I'm very picky about the software I install. And if I have any reason to question it... I install it into an isolated VM first.  

But then again, I paid $10 for the 3 PC, 1year subscription for ESET NOD32 when newegg had a special on it. :)

Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

I have MSE and Malwarebytes on my WHS, SBS2011 and several Win 8 PCs. Never had a problem.

Trig0r

Trig0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

MSE does the job, yes there are things it might miss but its decent enough and if you're on dodgy sites where you are likely to catch something then its your own fault lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.