Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Ssd System Question

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

tjohn

tjohn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi, I just built a new rig consisting of an ASRock z68 pro gen3 board, I7 2600k, 16 GB G.skill RipJaws memory, a Crucial C300 128 GB SSD running win7 ultimate. Right now I'm getting a 7.8 WEI score and it is really fast fast fast. My question is if Install the WHS client on this machine will it degrade any performance?

Thanks, John

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

bobbyc

bobbyc

Advanced Member

• WGS Supporter
  • 643 posts
  • Interests:Shoveling SNOW
IMO it should not effect your performance, if it did you would see a performance drop on systems with traditional hdd.

You could always install it and rerun the performance test and report back to the forum.

tjohn

tjohn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the reply. How about start up times. I like the way I start up in a few seconds now. When I tried to map a drive on my server it really slowed down my start up drastically. Is there a difference if I use the connector disk to install the client of just map to a folder on the server? I don't mean to be confusing, right now I can still access my server through windows file explorer, it takes a while but I can get there. I had to enter my user name and password at first but then it does get there. My old system with the client installed was much faster viewing files.

bobbyc

bobbyc

Advanced Member

• WGS Supporter
  • 643 posts
  • Interests:Shoveling SNOW

Is there a difference if I use the connector disk to install the client of just map to a folder on the server?

Yes and No. You can map the WHS Shares the way you described, But, with the connector software installed you can access them via the LaunchPad or Dashboard. This is assuming you are using WHS2011. The difference between the LaunchPad and DashBoard, LP is for normal users, while DB is for the administrator.

You should also be able to see the WHS Shares via Windows Explorer under the Network section.

Also, you are not alone when it comes to slow response to items showing up or connecting to your server's shares. Here is a thread you might look at. I believe it may address your problem. Here is the link.

I don't mean to be confusing, right now I can still access my server through windows file explorer, it takes a while but I can get there. I had to enter my user name and password at first but then it does get there. My old system with the client installed was much faster viewing files.

This can be a network issue, and can be addressed in a couple of ways. Let me ask to clarity your situation. Are you setting up a WHS network with WHS2011 and at least one Win7 client system on your network?

I would recommend the installation of the connector software. Without the connector software you will not be able to perform client backups using the WHS backup system. Additionally, your WHS is not intended to be administered like a normal MS server. The DB software is the primary means to administer your WHS. It is from the DB that you will add users, and administer WHS Shares.

Once you have this all worked out I would suggest directing your specific WHS questions to the forum which best describes your situation. If you have a problem with the installation of the connector software, then address it to the WHS2011 - Installation forum.

It sounds like you have your Win7 install finished and now you need to get the whole WHS network working together.

I hope I addressed your questions sufficiently.

Good Luck...

tjohn

tjohn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the information. I'm using WHS 2003 and have Win7 clients only, and one Win8 preview laptop which is working fine with the connector software. I'm going to install the connector on my new machine and report back if there are any problems.

tjohn

tjohn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I installed the connector software and everything is working fast. Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.