Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Squeezebox Duet Software Install On Whs 11- Hp Micro Server

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

psionguy

psionguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I am just getting into my new HP Micro server running WHS 11. I have managed to install my first addon (asoft auto exit) via my client PC and all went well.

I am now trying to install Squeezebox software vs. 7.70-33614 for my Duet setup. When I try and install from my PC I get the message this software is for WHS only. Looking at the instructions from Logitech it states the file should be on the shared folder Software/addon but there is no folder of this name. So I created a folder called addon on one of my micro server drives and copied the msi file there, when I try and run this I still get the same message.

Should I place the folder on the server C drive, or do I need to install directly on my server instead of my client PC?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
Which version of the software are you trying to add?

The WHS squeezecentre addon is for WHS1 only. It will not work on WHS 2011.
The standard dektop software however works on WHS 2011. You do not get to access it via the Dashboard, but you can access perfectly via a web browser.
I have it installed and works just fine.

psionguy

psionguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Which version of the software are you trying to add?

The WHS squeezecentre addon is for WHS1 only. It will not work on WHS 2011.
The standard dektop software however works on WHS 2011. You do not get to access it via the Dashboard, but you can access perfectly via a web browser.
I have it installed and works just fine.

Ian

As I am very new to this setup could you let me know how to install the standard setup on my WHS 11. I Have downloaded the standard 7.70 Vs, I assume the only way you can install on there server is direct, as any other way will just install on your PC, is this correct?

I am hoping that I can run this server without the need of my PC being on, is that possible?

Thanks

Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
You are correct on both counts.

If you have a screen and keyboard on your WHS then install that way, if not then Remote into the WHS and then install.

It does indeed run on the server without the need for your PC to be on. You may need the PC to login to the web interface, but you can also log in to this on the server if you have screen and keyboard! You don't need to use the web interface as you can control things with the Duet (well I'm assuming so, I actually have the older Squeezebox)

When you have installed - go into the control panel on the server and choose the startup option you want. I have mine set as Automatically run at susyem startup.

The only issue I have encountered was when streaming live radio frem the BBC. I have Peerblock running in the background of my WHS and I had to open the relevant ports for the BBC to stream.

psionguy

psionguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

You are correct on both counts.

If you have a screen and keyboard on your WHS then install that way, if not then Remote into the WHS and then install.

It does indeed run on the server without the need for your PC to be on. You may need the PC to login to the web interface, but you can also log in to this on the server if you have screen and keyboard! You don't need to use the web interface as you can control things with the Duet (well I'm assuming so, I actually have the older Squeezebox)

When you have installed - go into the control panel on the server and choose the startup option you want. I have mine set as Automatically run at susyem startup.

The only issue I have encountered was when streaming live radio frem the BBC. I have Peerblock running in the background of my WHS and I had to open the relevant ports for the BBC to stream.

Ian thanks for your help much appreciated.

I have now got Sqeezebox server running and can access via my client PC, but to get it to work I have to now logon onto my server and re-start logitech media server. As I normally do not have it connected to a monitor, it looks like I will have to keep it connected in the future.

I have been using asoft auto exit, which enables me to re-boot the server from my client PC, and this makes the server available to everything except Logitech media.

Hope I am making sense, so if I am correct is there any way around having to logon onto the server every time I do a re-boot?

Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
Should do it for you

psionguy

psionguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

When you have installed - go into the control panel on the server and choose the startup option you want. I have mine set as Automatically run at susyem startup. Should do it for you

Ian

I am struggling with this for some reason. If I boot my server I get the screen alt ctrl del to logon, when I logon I then have to click on Logitech sever icon and load the software, for it to be recognised by my streamers I have to stop the server and the re-start and only then is it recognised on my other devices. If I then logoff of the server, all my streamers still see my hpserver and I can access my files, but the Logitech server is no longer seen.

So I have to make the assumption that I have to manually log on to my hpserver (or can this be automated if yes how?) and then load the squeezebox and stop and start this server even though I have selected auto start on this software. It is a shame that there is not an addon for WHS 11.

Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
How odd.
Mine auto logons at startup having changed the setting I mention above.
You can start any program without having to logon by using task scheduler. I guess you could do this but I would be more interested why it isn't working as it should.
Did you log on as administrator when you laded squeezecentre?

psionguy

psionguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

How odd.
Mine auto logons at startup having changed the setting I mention above.
You can start any program without having to logon by using task scheduler. I guess you could do this but I would be more interested why it isn't working as it should.
Did you log on as administrator when you laded squeezecentre?

Yes I did log on as administrator. When you setup auto logon at start up, was this on the HPserver or Logitech software. I can see the option for auto log on the Logitech, but cannot find this option on WHS 11; perhaps this is where I am going wrong.

Ray

Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
No - in the squeezebox server.

Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
Or maybe not.
You got me wondering - there was an update recentlly, which I installed and didn't really think about.
However I've just had a quick play and it seems you are right. The old version did work on startup, not needing to login but this seems not to work in the updated version.
I'm out and about for the rest of the week but will experiment some more when I get back in.

Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
I foud time - the update had wiped out my settings.
When you checked the run at startup box, did you add a username and password with admin priveledges in the boxes below? That was what got me with the update!

psionguy

psionguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

I foud time - the update had wiped out my settings.
When you checked the run at startup box, did you add a username and password with admin priveledges in the boxes below? That was what got me with the update!

When I open Logitech Media Server Control Panel ther is a drop down arrow with 3 options, I have selected Automatically run at system start. Underneath there is 2 blank spaces for username and password, you can only add to this is you have selected automatic start. I them enter my logon details which is my email address and then my password, I theh hit apply and OK. When I log off and then re start my password details are not in the boxes and I don't understand why.

When you mention admin priveledges, are you reffering to when I first run the squeezebox exe, as I can't remember, but I would have used my squeezebox logon when it was installed. There is no sign of admin priveledges in the server control panel now, could you confirm it is the same on yours.

Do you think I should remove and reload the squeezebox software, and be carefull about ticking all the right boxes?

Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
The user and password need to be the same as a logon to WHS that has admin priveledges
  • psionguy likes this

psionguy

psionguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

The user and password need to be the same as a logon to WHS that has admin priveledges

Ian many thanks, all now sorted and working 100%.

You have been a great help to me, much appresiated.

Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
Good to hear are sorted.

Gordon Currie

Gordon Currie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
It would be great if psionguy would post back on what detail finally got it working, as there will probably be others with the same question who find this via Google and then wonder what the answer was. :mellow:

Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
I think the answer is my last post to him.

muskmusk

muskmusk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

u need to download it from the server and then install

Chris Cowles

Chris Cowles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

The standard dektop software however works on WHS 2011. You do not get to access it via the Dashboard, ...

I get to CrashPlan and Microsoft Security Essentials clients installed on WHS 2011 by putting shortcuts on the desktop. I get to those through Advanced Admin Console, and navigate to the Desktop using Explorer. Works like a charm for me. Perhaps it will work for Squeezebox desktop?

• Drashna Jaelre (WGS) likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.