Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Migration From Whs 2003 To 2011

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Rob K

Rob K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am running WHS 2003 on an Acer Cube. Have not put any thought what-so-ever into WHS 2011. If and when the time comes, will I be able to upgrade to WHS 2011 and still use the Acer Cube? Or will I have to upgrade my hardware as well?

Hardware:
- Intel Atom 1.66Hz
- 2 GB RAM
- 4 bay hard drives

Thanks

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

bobbyc

bobbyc

Advanced Member

• WGS Supporter
  • 642 posts
  • Interests:Shoveling SNOW
Contributor
whs 2011 is based on Win server 2008 r2 and is a 64bit os.

Is the cpu a 64bit cpu? The cpu must be a 1.4GHz single core or 1.3GHz dual core. It also requires 2GB of ram which you have covered.

If your rig has the ability to connect a Keyboard, Video, and mouse you should no problem.

Rob K

Rob K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The server is a Acer, Aspire easyStore H340

The documentation (http://support.acer...._UG_EN_0205.pdf) suggests that it supports:

Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit Edition

Windows XP 32-bit and 64-bit Edition

I have Windows 7 on my client. Not sure if its compatiable with Widows 7. Does anyone know if it is?

Specs are as follows:

Processor: Intel® Atom™ Processor

Chipset: Intel 945GC Express Chipset and ICH7R

Drive storage: Up to four 3.5-inch hot-swappable SATA hard disk drives (HDD)

Memory: Up to 2 GB DDR2 MHz unbuffered SDRAM

Ethernet: High performance (10/100/1000) Gigabit Ethernet port

I/O ports: USB 2.0 ports (1 front and 4 rear), Gigabit Ethernet port, eSATA port, recovery/reset button

Power: 200 W, 100-240 V AC

Server operating system (OS) support: Windows Home Server

Home computer OS support: Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit Edition and Windows XP 32-bit and 64-bit Edition

Digital media player support Any DLNA certified device

Digital media file support

• Music: MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC, AC3, FLAC, APE, OGG,

VOC, AIFF, AU, MID

• Video: WMV, ASF, MOV, AVI, MPEG, 3GP, SWF, FLV,

RMVB, RM, RA, RAM, MP4, MPG, MPE, M2V, TP, TS,

MLV, MKV, DIVX

• Photos: GIF, PNG, BMP, JPG, JEPG, ICO, TIFF, DXF,

WMF, EMF, PICT, EPS, CDR

I do not have keyboard or display optoins for this server. I came across this post on how to do install WHS 2011 using a USB drive (using an HP MediaSmart):
http://www.wegotserv...sb-flash-drive/

Not sure if I ca follow the same USB approach for the Acer Aspire

Final question. I only have 4 drive bays (4 x 2.0TB). Given the lmitiation on the had drive space, I want to consider having another NAS system to store large Blu Ray files. However it is not clear to me whether I could do this efficiently as the server only has:
- USB 2.0 inputs
- eSata port

Will the eSata allow for this?

Thanks

bobbyc

bobbyc

Advanced Member

• WGS Supporter
  • 642 posts
Contributor
I'm not sure, here are some instructions for upgrading an Acer box. check it out.

Rob K

Rob K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
How do you create the cfg.ini file in the root directory (Step 3). Is this a text file?

Thanks

bobbyc

bobbyc

Advanced Member

• WGS Supporter
  • 642 posts
Contributor
Yes it is a text file. You can create it using 'Notepad'. Save it as an ANSI file and you should be good to go.

Rychek

Rychek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Location:"Where folks know what picante sauce should taste like."
  • Interests:Computers, Home Servers, Warhammer FB, Reading.

The server is a Acer, Aspire easyStore H340

The documentation (http://support.acer...._UG_EN_0205.pdf) suggests that it supports:

Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit Edition

Windows XP 32-bit and 64-bit Edition

I have Windows 7 on my client. Not sure if its compatiable with Widows 7. Does anyone know if it is?

Specs are as follows:

Processor: Intel® Atom™ Processor

Chipset: Intel 945GC Express Chipset and ICH7R

Drive storage: Up to four 3.5-inch hot-swappable SATA hard disk drives (HDD)

Memory: Up to 2 GB DDR2 MHz unbuffered SDRAM

Ethernet: High performance (10/100/1000) Gigabit Ethernet port

I/O ports: USB 2.0 ports (1 front and 4 rear), Gigabit Ethernet port, eSATA port, recovery/reset button

Power: 200 W, 100-240 V AC

Server operating system (OS) support: Windows Home Server

Home computer OS support: Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit Edition and Windows XP 32-bit and 64-bit Edition

Digital media player support Any DLNA certified device

Digital media file support

• Music: MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC, AC3, FLAC, APE, OGG,

VOC, AIFF, AU, MID

• Video: WMV, ASF, MOV, AVI, MPEG, 3GP, SWF, FLV,

RMVB, RM, RA, RAM, MP4, MPG, MPE, M2V, TP, TS,

MLV, MKV, DIVX

• Photos: GIF, PNG, BMP, JPG, JEPG, ICO, TIFF, DXF,

WMF, EMF, PICT, EPS, CDR

I do not have keyboard or display optoins for this server. I came across this post on how to do install WHS 2011 using a USB drive (using an HP MediaSmart):
http://www.wegotserv...sb-flash-drive/

Not sure if I ca follow the same USB approach for the Acer Aspire

Final question. I only have 4 drive bays (4 x 2.0TB). Given the lmitiation on the had drive space, I want to consider having another NAS system to store large Blu Ray files. However it is not clear to me whether I could do this efficiently as the server only has:
- USB 2.0 inputs
- eSata port

Will the eSata allow for this?

Thanks

You can use eSata to attach additional hard drives. I have a four disk box attached to my WHS 2011 via eSata and it's treated the same as any internal disk. Unless you have USB 3.0, eSata is the best interface for external disk performance.

EricE

EricE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
If you can't get the USB/config.ini to work, don't sweat it.

You can install WHS onto a system drive outside of your server box - this is great for headless units like the HP's (what I have) and Acers.

Just take out (or disconnect) all the drives out of your PC, put in drive you want to be your WHS system drive, boot from the WHS install DVD and perform the install. Don't apply updates (mainly for time) and don't activate it as part of the initial setup. Once you get WHS completely set up and to a point where it boots to the logon screen, login and shut it down and install in your Acer box. I suspect it will auto-detect the hardware in your Acer just fine, boot and you will be able to RDP into it - at least it did for my HP. Hopefully your Acer uses hardware that Server 2008 has drivers for too B)

I went round and round with my HP, saw this idea from someone else, tried it and it worked like a champ. In less than an hour I had my EX490 up with WHS 2011. I then used RDP to finish applying updates and activate my WHS. It's been working great for almost six months now (!!) Time flies when you are having fun...
  • bobbyc likes this

Rob K

Rob K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank-you. Three quick questions:

1) I am assuming that I turn the Acer off and pull all the drives out
2) I am assuming that I will use a new drive to load the WHS 2011 onto from another computer
3) I came across another post (http://www.intensegamingtv.com/entries/11-Upgrading-the-Acer-Aspire-EasyStore-H340-to-Windows-Home-Server-2011-(WHS-2011) - in point #4 he notes that when you you are asked to reboot that you should turn your PC off as you don't want to load WHS drive to boot with the hardware settings of your PC. I am assuming you load it and then when it prompts to reboot you simply turn off the PC and then put the drive back into the Acer cube.

Thanks

Rob K

Rob K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
And a 4th question. What do you do with your other drives once you have the new WHS 2011 drive installed(i.e. the 3 other data drives)? Can you pop those back in or do you have to reformat again? Are these simply plug and play?

Thanks

Rychek

Rychek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Location:"Where folks know what picante sauce should taste like."
  • Interests:Computers, Home Servers, Warhammer FB, Reading.
They are simply plug and play (provided they are already partitioned and formatted. Unlike v1 with DriveExtender, WHS 2011 doesn't force a format when adding a new drive. It works just like other Windows OSs and recognizes the drive for what it is, without trying to modify it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.