Hoppa till innehåll

Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Foto

Cloud Backup Suggestion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

shammah98

shammah98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 Inlägg:
I have an HP Mediasmart 485v3. Just put in a new seagate 2TB in my 4th bay. I have a 2TB, 1TB, and 750GB (system) drive in the other bays. all filled up. I have duplication turned on (it essentially is my music/photo/video server). I regularly use the built in backup tool to back up the server to an external hitachi HD (3TB). It is my understaning that this only backs up the shares, so i just installed BDBB, which i will use to back up the server files to the external drive as well.

For an additional/last layer of redundancy, I want to get some offsite/online back up as well. I searched the forums and i saw cloudberry, using amazon s3 The simplicity of this appealed to me, but when i checked on amazon's price estimator, it was quoting me $700/yr for my approx 4TB of data. seems too expensive for me.

Does anyone have any experience with KeepVault or any other cloud backup service that works with WHSv1?

Thanks. and Happy New Year!

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

GaPony

GaPony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2055 Inlägg:
Maybe this will help... http://lifehacker.co...limited-backups

Personally speaking, I don't see how you'd get 4TB uploaded to the cloud, unless they provide a service to allow you to send them one (or more) physical drives to pre-load into your account. Even a 100Mbps internet connection would take a very, very long time.

For the individual person trying to protect their movies and music, the original files, plus duplication with an additional set of backup drives is probably sufficient (that's 3 copies of each file). If you're really that paranoid, you'd be better served with an additional couple large drives that clone the backup set. You could keep those off-site someplace.

spile

spile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 Inlägg:
Think how long that amount of data is going to take to transfer over the net zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1278 Inlägg:
I used to have a Carbonite account for a work server. It backs up in the background, and after the first backup - which can take weeks, it only backs up incrementally.
Might be worth a look.

GaPony

GaPony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2055 Inlägg:
I guess the other issue I see with cloud backup is that it would also take maybe weeks to get your 4TB of stuff back, if you ever needed it. I think the cloud concept is great for user generated data, or maybe even the average person's home computer. I'm not sure I see the realistic value for servers full of movies.

Businesses who use this technology are not using the cable company's broadband internet service...

oj88

oj88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 Inlägg:
Personally, I think that the cloud might be good for a few GBs of critical data at most. Other, less critical data can be backud up to a NAS installed maybe in another room using a gigabit connection.

Just to put things into perspective, transferring 4TBs of data over a 2mbps line would take roughly 180 days or 6 months!

GaPony

GaPony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2055 Inlägg:
Thanks OJ. I was too lazy to do the math. :D

oj88

oj88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 Inlägg:

Thanks OJ. I was too lazy to do the math. :D

:) You don't have to: http://www.numion.co...ators/Time.html

... And I found out that there's such a thing as a "Yottabyte".

shammah98

shammah98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 Inlägg:
Thanks everyone for the replies. Yeah I knew it would take a long time to upload that amount of data. And actually, upon further thought, I realized I would only be uploading our family videos/pics and personal docs. So it wouldn't be anywhere close to the 4TB (Maybe 1?) Funny how one forgets about the hard copies of their music/video library after using digital media for so long. You'd think I'd remember considering how long it took to rip them all to the server! :-)

Using duplication, the space goes 2x as fast. IN the mediasmart servers, we're limited to 4bays. ONce those get filled up, do you just start adding external HDs?
thanks

GaPony

GaPony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2055 Inlägg:
I think you'll get a bigger bag for the buck by adding multi-drive enclosures, instead of single, external drives. All the MSS's except for the EX48x series have PM Aware eSATA connections.

pchoi94

pchoi94

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 Inlägg:
I'm in the exact same boat here. I'm running an Acer home server and although I've got around 2 or 3 TB of data, I only want to back up about 1TB worth to the cloud (documents, family photos and home videos). I had signed up for Asus Webstorage a while back (like over 2 years ago) and to this day have still not finished my first full backup. I recently upgraded my home Internet connection to 5Mbps upstream, but I was dismayed to find out that it doesn't matter because Asus Webstorage caps the upload bandwidth to 500Kbps or less!!! Anyway, it's really dirt cheap, i.e. 55 bucks for 2 years of unlimited storage, so I just let it run in the background. But if anyone has any other suggestions for cheap cloud storage (to have in addition to internal duplication and external backups) I'd love to hear it! Backblaze is cheap but doesn't support server OS, and the ones that do are pretty expensive. Yes, I'm paranoid like that, I've lost data before...

BrettDraen

BrettDraen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 Inlägg:

Cloud Backup Services providing mostly secure and reliable storage and backup platform. But i recommend only Dropbox, sugarsync, livedrive and other best cloud backup services. I rate cloud backup services on the basis of their features rather pricing plans. I strongly recommend to select provider who have following features: Synchronization, file versioning, file preview, restored deleted files, fully automated, incremental backup, can be able to access from any part of the world. All the above mentioned providers does have these features. For the secure cloud backup service these features need to look at before making any final decision. 

Doug Neal

Doug Neal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 Inlägg:
  • Interests:80s music, 80s video games, WHS and family.

I know cloud is all the rage, but how about an external drive (or two) backed up on a weekly or monthly basis and taken offsite (to work, a friend's house)?

I have yet to find an offsite backup service that copies files fast enough, is trustworthy, doesn't cost a lot, can handle file deltas (instead of always re-transferring an entire file if only part of it has changed) - and allows me to quickly pull back down my backed up data for a restore.

I'm a backup freak and have a crazy amount of redundancies within the home.  But without offsite backup too, a fire would wipe it all out.  Since I haven't found an automatic, hands-free option that meets my criteria (above), I have a calendar reminder each month to backup my critical files to an external drive.  When my monthly reminder fires, I backup to an external and take it to work with me the next day.  That gives me a copy offsite in another city - and allows a super-quick, local restore from the external drive if needed.

I used to hack CrashPlan to copy my WHS data to a friend's WHS (and vice versa), but the external drive via sneakernet works better than anything else I've found to date.

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14424 Inlägg:
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor

SyncToy maybe? Or a scripted RoboCopy?

0 användare läser detta ämne

0 medlemmar, 0 gäster, 0 anonyma medlemmar

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.