Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Server Remote Access Failing

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Chugg

Chugg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I am having some seriously odd remote access issues. Both via the internet and via local connections.

From the internet, I can login and see the "computers" tab and when I click on the WHS, enter password and then click on the RDP session Connect button, it just dumps me to the "computers" tab.

When on a local PC, I click the Connect to Home Server, and get prompted for the password, and whatever I type in comes back as an invalid password (yes even the correct one).

I need to get onto my WHS as I have a dying HDD that needs to be swapped out, but its playing silly beggars with me.

What am I to do?

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Dave Marchant (WGS)

Dave Marchant (WGS)

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,720 posts
Can you RDP to the server and then open the console directly on the server itself?

Chugg

Chugg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sadly I cannot RDP from a local machine, nor from the "computers" tab.
When local WHS Console won't log me in and says that the password is invalid. (Which it is not).
Similarly RDP won't authenticate.
I am thinking that I will have to get out my trusty keyboard, mouse and screen and access it directly. I have 10 HDDs in it and one of them is failing (I do get the notifications) and I need to get it removed and replaced (it's still under warrenty).

LeRoi

LeRoi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Safiest way to go, kb, mouse and monitor. BTW have you tried restarting the server and router?

Chugg

Chugg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have restarted both router and WHS box, still no access.
It's odd that for years it was just sat there running with no intervention, and now it's getting more and more sick.
I tried a WHS2011, but the lack of a reliable alternative to Drive Extender has put that on hold. But that is for another forum!

LeRoi

LeRoi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just migrate the good old WHSv1 for WHS2011 a week ago. Don't miss the drive extender that much. Hope you will get your WHS access back. Let us know how you did it.

Chugg

Chugg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
After connecting the keyboard, mouse and screen back, I could reboot and see what was what.
After much removing of drives, swapping which controllers they were connected to, I found that 2Tb drives were not happy on the Marvell controller, but happy with the SiL one. The WD EADS drive was not happy anywhere (looked on WD site and need to twiddle a jumper possibly - will check out later).
After a few reconfiguration reboots, all running and now have 'removed' the WD drive and all is happy running on 9 drives.
Just got to wait until drives prices drop so I can add a couple of newer bigger drives.
I am reluctant to use WHS2011 as I primary use WHS as a huge file store. (with backups being duplicated too).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.