Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Issues With Hp Mediasmart Server

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Vas

Vas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello everyone,

I couldn't find an exact solution to my issue so was hoping someone could help.

I apologize because I am working and can't give you my exact HP Server Model number, but I believe it was the first released. It has been a reliable machine, albeit sluggish at times to connect to.

Recently, I can't connect to it at all. When I try to use the WHS Console on any of my computers, it spins its wheels for a bit then says it cannot connect to the server through the console. Then it tells me to reboot if necessary. Which I have done, to no avail.

I used to just go in through the folders via a shared folder. Now I can click on a folder, it takes forever to drop down to the next level but it will. I go through a few levels of folders to find my stuff, I click on it, and it just spins it's wheels indefinitely.

Can anyone offer any advice? Again, apologize I can't give more details. I run my computers on Windows 7 almost exclusively, and have the console hooked up on most. Oh, and on the one I do the testing of the server from, I have downloaded the newest version of console by connecting through my server through the browser. That was also difficult but after many failed attempts I did get it and installed with no change.

Thank you!!

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Dave Marchant (WGS)

Dave Marchant (WGS)

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,712 posts
First impression would be a failing hard drive, Not an easy thing to confirm though. Can you RDP to the server and check the server's event logs. Alternatively, the console failing to open could be a bad add-in and again, this may be able to be confirmed via RDP to the server and trying to open the console directly there.

Final thought is that all these symptoms could also be down to networking issues, either the cable or the network switch into which it is connected.

Vas

Vas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Dave,

Thanks for replying! I believe it is a dying hard drive. I did a server recovery and the server runs better, however, there is obviously a hard drive that is giving me issues. There are a lot of files that just don't work, even though the server says they are there. The hard drive came up missing at first, but now its coming up "healthy". Regardless the data is still not there. When I go to the D://DE folder, there is very little data there. Of course the failing drive is the largest one. Any advice on recovering the data? I know I had the thing turned on to backup twice but I am not sure why so much data is missing. Any advice on recovering my data would be appreciated! I will definitely replace this drive ASAP!

Dave Marchant (WGS)

Dave Marchant (WGS)

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,712 posts
If the folders were duplicated, your files should be in the DE folder on another drive. If you didn't have duplication on, the files are probably gone for good.

In that position (I have been there), it is a case of consolidating what you have got left onto any other storage you can get hold of. I was lucky having a couple of large USB drives, and I took each drive out of the server in turn, mounted them up using a USB adaptor on my PC and copied the readable data off them. Then I rebuilt the server from scratch before putting the data back.

I now make sure I have enough external storage on my server for a regular server backup of both the shared folders and the PC Backup database (using BDBB add-in).

azasadny

azasadny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
The "unresponsive server" was just one of the many issues I faced with my Mediasmart 510 and I was forced to take it out of production. I sure hope you have better experience with yours than I had...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.