Thanks to all who have provided their input...very much appreciated. I've done another round of research & I would like to share it with you for your perspective and any additional input/guidance. THANK YOU!!! Round 3 – Home Server/WHS2011 Configuration: Here are my "updated" requirements for a home server:
- Powerful enough to support media streaming and transcoding (real time video conversion and streaming from one format to another). From my research on this, it suggests a CPU: Intel Core i5 or better (e.g. Intel Core i5-2405S).
Research findings: For the CPU, the only LGA1155 Core i5/i7 I found with reasonable watt burn is the Core i5-2390T at 35 watts, or the Core i7-2xxxS series at 65 watts, according to this Core i3/i5/i7 overview site.
- I prefer Intel vs. AMD (personal preference).
- Onboard video is required (would prefer to avoid video card). I’ll need to use a monitor connection for initial WHS 2011 installation, but installed I can use my PC to connect to the WHS Dashboard to manage/update it.
- Support for DDR 3 Memory (research I’ve seen for WHS 2011 suggests this)
- Low power consumption...as it will be on 24x7
Note: Efficiency is a concern, as electricity costs over 4 years really add up.
- Gigabit Ethernet Only (dual ports is a nice to have)
- Decent SATA (i.e. for example…something like 6Gb SATA): No less than 4 SATA ports, but would prefer 6 for future growth.
Note: I’m a fan of Western Digital (WD) Caviar Green hard drives. Currently thoughts for Storage:
- Media/Back-ups: WD Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB (x2)
- OS Storage: WD Caviar Green WD10EARX 1TB
- USB 3.0
- Form Factor: I prefer a smaller one (i.e. Micro vs. Tower), but this isn’t a showstopper
- Longevity: If at all possible, I'd like to get 4 years out of this home server
This is all I can think of. Based on your server expertise, is there anything else I should consider?DISCLAIMER
: I’m NOT a server expert, so based on my requirements I would appreciate any suggestions anyone would have for me. Proposed ConfigurationMotherboard
: ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard ($65)
Note: Port configuration not less than Motherboard noted. No USB 3.0. Gen 3 card with 4 6G ports available at 3x price. 6 ports available on non-ASUS brand at 4x price.CPU
: Intel Core i5 2500K LGA 1155 Boxed ProcessorRAM
: HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules)Storage
: Caviar Green 2TB IntelliPower SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD20EARX – OEM (x2)
Note: 7200 RPM playing more important role than 6G. Thought 6G only playing importance in gaming - not as important as streaming. Can anyone validate this?OS Storage
: Caviar Green 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WDBAAY0010HNC
- What about Solid State Drives for OS (SSD is 6G port)?
- Western Digital “VelociRaptor” - SATA 6 Gb/s, SATA 3 Gb/s
I’m thinking this is worth considering, but I haven’t fully researched it. Key point is moving SWAP files off to regular HDD.Power Supply
: Corsair Builder Series 500 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply
Note: Power Supply options focus on different variations of guaranteed efficiency of 80%+ - silver, gold, platinum, etc.
: Cooler Master Elite 360 Slim ATX Mid Tower / HTPC / Desktop Convertible Computer Case
I hope my "newbie" research & your valuable/experienced input will help others interested in home built solutions.
Thanks again for everyone's willingness to help.