Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Windows 8 Connector

- - - - - connector

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

MasterCobra

MasterCobra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
When will a connector be available for windows 8?
When I install it now, it gives a error. Or did I do something wrong?

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

dechah

dechah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am having the same problem with Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Attempts to install the connecter from my Vail server result in the installer hanging at about the 90% completed mark (Connecting this computer to the network...)

Does anybody know of a fix or work-around?

kegobeer

kegobeer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Since Windows 8 is a consumer preview (just released today) don't expect a connector to be out already.

Garry

Garry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
Right. It is just a beta. Still being developed.
MS wont start supporting it with other software
until final release. Probably this fall.

John-D

John-D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Computers, big & small; Astronomy; AI-Robotics; Antique tube radios; and Model Railroading

I am having the same problem with Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Attempts to install the connecter from my Vail server result in the installer hanging at about the 90% completed mark (Connecting this computer to the network...)

Does anybody know of a fix or work-around?

The WHS Connector was working with Win8 Developer, but it does not work with the Consumer Preview release. I have tried a few of the Microsoft Win7 suggested fixes and still get the "unexpected error" rollback at 95%.

I will report the problem to Microsoft and hopefully someone will find a workaround in the next few days.

dechah

dechah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Since Windows 8 is a consumer preview (just released today) don't expect a connector to be out already.

I agree, but I was able to use it with the System Developer's build, so I was hoping there might be a tweak or a work-around to get it going until something more official comes along from MS?

troels

troels

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Run the program as administrator - works for me.

spyder0069

spyder0069

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem on multiple machines connecting to whs2011. Tried running the connector as admin and also tried win7 compatibility mode. Same rollback error. My experience so far is thumbs down. Crippling the desktop interface was a bad idea. Should have made it easy to switch back and forth.

MasterCobra

MasterCobra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I'll give it a try <_<

John-D

John-D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Computers, big & small; Astronomy; AI-Robotics; Antique tube radios; and Model Railroading

I know Win8 CP has only been generally available for a couple of days, but you are the only reference I can find that got WHS2 Connector to work with it.

Please confirm that you are using the Win8 Customer Preview release (build 8250) and what local Connector install program are you running as Administrator?

More information would be appreciated.

troels

troels

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I know Win8 CP has only been generally available for a couple of days, but you are the only reference I can find that got WHS2 Connector to work with it.

Please confirm that you are using the Win8 Customer Preview release (build 8250) and what local Connector install program are you running as Administrator?

More information would be appreciated.

Yes, I can confirm all that. The install program is the one downloaded from WHS2011/connect.
Now I also have a backup of the machine on WHS2011.

Further: Before installing the connector software I could see WHS2011 on the lan but had to logon. That would be normal, I guess. I was already a user on WHS2011.

Before doing a fresh install I upgraded win7 to win8. It went OK - took forever - but the connector could not connect to WHS2011 - and when uninstalling it something went wrong - unknown error. Bluish screen with cursor moving but no action. Then the fresh install of win8 CP. At first I experienced the same error as described above: 95 pct. install of the connector software and then rollback.

Garry

Garry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
Best thing to do is submit a bug report on Connect site.
If already there then vote it up.

Tom_Hall

Tom_Hall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Here's a work-around … from MS, (on Win8), go to control panel > add/remove etc> turn windows features on or off > select all the .net framework 3.5 checkboxes in windows features > click ok, then allow windowsupdate to download .net 3.5 - then reinstall connector http://social.techne...erver-2011.aspx
  • John-D likes this

John-D

John-D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Here's a work-around … from MS, (on Win8), go to control panel > add/remove etc> turn windows features on or off > select all the .net framework 3.5 checkboxes in windows features > click ok, then allow windowsupdate to download .net 3.5 - then reinstall connector http://social.techne...erver-2011.aspx

Thank you Tom!

That workaround takes care of the problem.
  • John-D likes this

MasterCobra

MasterCobra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Sure gonna try it!
Thanks!

MasterCobra

MasterCobra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

It works!!!!
Thanks Tom :) :) :) :)

larryz

larryz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Greetings, all.

FWIW, I had no issues connecting the Win8 CP to WHSv1 -- the only anomaly was that during the connector install, the installer went out and grabbed .net 4 (I think it was 4) and installed it. First backup occurred with no issues.

dechah

dechah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The work around got me connector to connect W8CP to WHS2011, however I cannot successfully backup W8CP. Any attempt to start a backup fails. Any work arounds for this?

Jim Kelleher

Jim Kelleher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Wow, just bought a new Asus laptop, WIndows 8 x64. I can install the connector, I can start a back up, and it fails right at startup (1%). Just like message #18 from dechah. Are we the only 2 getting this? My WHS appears to have all the latest updates, and I install off the WHS/connect website. I did what everybody else did, 1) Flip .NET 3.5 on server 2) download installation to Win 8 client, run as Admin and Win 7, it installs no problems. Then when I start a backup it stops at 1% and status says Unsuccessful. I will keep searching, but I can't find anything.

Did anyone else have this issue, and find a resolution?

Thanks,

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,668 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor
If the backup is failing, then it's likely a problem with the VSS service, and you need to re-associate that, basically.

This link is meant for v1, but it should work anyhow:
http://forum.wegotse...ackup-problems/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: connector

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.