Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Windows Home Server Continously Changing Metadata

- - - - - metadata lightroom error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

jatrax

jatrax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently moved my pictures from a Linux NAS to a Windows Home Server 2011 machine. Since doing so Lightroom 3.6 continously reports that the metadata was changed externally. Writing metadata to the files manually from Lightroom makes the error go away for a short time and then it reappears. You can actually watch the error pop up on each picture as something changes the files.

Something is writing to the metadata after I save from Lightroom. My assumption, due to the change in file servers is that it is something Windows Home Server is doing but I cannot find any information related to that. Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to stop it?

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

kegobeer

kegobeer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Turn off metadata updating. Open the dashboard, go to server settings -> media, and deselect "Retrieve additional information from the Internet".

jatrax

jatrax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the response, unfortunately that was already turned off. The install included a questions to that regard and I answered no. When I started having the problem with picture files I assumed this was the problem and checked, it is un-checked. I also noticed that media server is turned on, so I turned that off thinking it might affect things. Manually overwrote the picture metadata and and all the errors dissappeared. But within 30 seconds the errors appeared again, one at a time as something worked its way through the files again.

This is driving me nuts...

kegobeer

kegobeer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Do you have a keyboard and monitor connected to your WHS machine? If so, turn off all client machines and log onto the server, and look at the pictures/metadata and see if they change. You could also check the server logs to see if there are any informational events that look out of the ordinary.

jatrax

jatrax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, keyboard and monitor. I watched the files but cannot really see anything happening. To be honest not sure what to watch for. Logs do not show anything odd.

This happens immediately after a file is changed and once the external program changes it then nothing happens. If I make a change in Lightroom, within seconds something external makes a change as well which then conflicts with Lightroom. Is there an indexing service that would set something within a file to indicate it has been indexed? Or perhaps a backup service of some type?

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,605 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor
There is indeed a service or some such that edits metadata. I believe there was a recent update that fixes that.

Geoff Coupe

Geoff Coupe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

There is indeed a service or some such that edits metadata. I believe there was a recent update that fixes that.

Drashna - that's different metadata. What jatrax is talking about is the IPTC/XMP metadata contained in image files (JPEGs). What the recent update from Microsoft was for was to fix a process that updated metadata in audio files (ID2 and ID3 tags)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: metadata, lightroom, error

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.