Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Stable Bit Drivepool Is Final, Why Isn't There More Buzz And Should I Upgrade To Whs 2011

- - - - - drive pool

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

John_Dumke

John_Dumke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
When DE wasn't included in WHS 2011, there was an uproar from the WHS community, and I was personally pissed off. I was really looking forward to implementing my new hardware with the new software. That was over a year ago, and while I upgraded the hardware, I just decided to keep WHS v1.

Now it seems like Stablebit Drivepool is here and has good reviews from beta testers. Why isn't there more buzz about the product?

For those needing a DE replacement, Is it now time to upgrade to WHS 2011?

Current Usage for WHS v1:
Music Server with Logitech SqueezeCenter /Media Server: Storing about 2TB or music.
Data Backup for 4 business computers.: Computer backups 250gb
Centralized Document location: 500gb of office documents, photos, etc.
Total storage around 3TB.

Current Hardware:
i5-2500k processor - bought in case I needed transcoding of videos served to XBOX
GIGABYTE GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
PROMISE SATA300 TX4 PCI SATA II (3.0Gb/s) 4-Port Adapter
4 GB memory
An assortment of drives 4 x 1TB drives on the Promise controller card and 500gb system drive and 2 x 2TB drives on other motherboard ports.
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50

Reason for Upgrading
Faster response time, and better ability to back up entire server and get data off server.
I have some USB 3.0 docking stations, but they don't seem to work with WHS v1. It takes about 30 hours backup to a USB 2.0 external drive, my board has USB 3.0, but this doesn't seem to work with WHS v1. It starts working and then there are file conflicts. I even tried an aftermarket USB 3.0 add in card, same thing. I don't think WHS v1 is fast enough to keep up.

Hardware to add
SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCI Express x4 Low Profile SAS RAID Controller
from what I have read the Promise TX4 controller doesn't support discs larger than 1TB.
I have a 300gb raptor to use for the system drive.

Conclusion and Questions
My WHS v1 is rock solid, but I guess I would like a project, and wouldn't mind WHS being a little snappier, v1 is a little slow.

If you were in my shoes would it be time to upgrade?

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

John_Dumke

John_Dumke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well, I am taking the plunge. Upgrading the server to WHS 2011.

So far so good, the computer is much more responsive. All the client computers are hooked up, and I am copying data back on to the Pooled Shares. I don't think that I will regret this move. WHS v1 was slooooowwww.

dbailey75

dbailey75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
I've been running Drivepool for maybe 5-6 weeks, after first giving drive bender a 30 day test drive. My recollection of drive bender was, that it just did not feel right, the way you enabled duplication was buried in menus, you could not use the server move folder fuction in the current release to move the defualt servers, while your data seems safe, it really was not ready to be released out of beta, just my opinion. While drivepool is still considered beta, I guess it makes since for there to still to be some functional gaps, but I do like the way it feels and looks less like and addin. I've done some testing just to ensure I know how everything works should there be a sytem failure, drive failure, boot disk or data disk, and while there are some things that you need to do manually, where there really should be a gui/wizard of some sort, in the end, it wasn't that diffucult to figure out, and hopefully Alex (drivepool developer) will have a complete manual avalaible by the time it comes out of beta, to help those who don't want to spend hours reading forums.

I need to pay upfor some of my addins this weekend, lol, since I keep using trial versions after each reinstall of whs, but I'm in a steady state right now, and I don't see the need to for any more simulated failures, or software testing.

Guess i need to find something else to do.

John_Dumke

John_Dumke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well, I completed the upgrade. In reading all of the user experiences, there were quite a few people that were not happy with the upgrade. It seemed like about 40% of WHS v1 were not happy with the upgrade. If I am correct, one of the main complaints was computers not restoring from back ups correctly with WHS 2011 (not quite sure if this was the complaint).

But so far my experience has been nothing but positive. So here are my pro's and con's so far. If I uncover more con's later I will add to the list.

Pros
1) WHS 2011 is so much more responsive. Boot times for the OS are much better, at least twice as fast, possibly even 3 times as fast, (however I installed the OS for 2011 on a velocirpator, vs the WHS v1 which was on a WD 500gb Black. Opening files located on the server with Photoshop is also 2 or 3 times faster. No comparison.
2) Logitech Media Server (squeezecenter) loads quickly and cleaning on every reboot. On WHS v1, squeezecenter would not start many times automatically, even though it was set to.
Operating squeezecenter from my iPhone (iPeng) is instantanious. I can click on a song in the queue, and it plays instantly. I can go down the queue and click on one song after the next, leaving only one second between clicking the next song, and every plays. With WHS v1, if I wasn't very slow and deliberate with the controller, they system would get bogged down.
3) Drivepool is better than drive extender. Disk can be added with data, disks can be removed without clearing data. Drivepool just seems more flexible and robust than Drive Extender.
4) Support for 3TB drives
5) My USB 3.0 now works with WHS 2011. In WHS v1, I would get delayed write errors when ever I used an external USB 3.0 drive, so I had to dumb down the USB 3.0 drive an attach is to a USB 2.0 port.
6) The software only costs $50.

Cons:
1) Remote access works, but WHS 2011 reports router as not being set up properly.
I can't really think of any other Cons relative to v1, I will add to the list.
Maybe as I continue to use the product I will find some other cons.

Hardware:
I purchases a SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCI Express x4 controller for my new build. People have got this to work. But I wasn't real happy with it. Adding drives caused others to drop out. The WD 15EADS and WD15EARS were the drives that caused problems. And adding a Hitatchi 3TB drive resulted in a BSOD.

After I bought this drive, I realized that there were two variants of this drive the SAS1 and the SAS2. So I have ordered the SAS2 from provantage and will test this out. Maybe I will get this to work. Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 It might take a while to get this as it looks like it is special order. If this doesn't work, then I will try some of the other choices out there.

Other Possible Controller Cards. Does anybody have a preferences either on this list or not on the list?

But in the mean time I was able to get my older Promise SATA300 TX4 to work with the system. However, I believe these cards are limited to 1TB drives.

RonV

RonV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I started by trial of Stablebit Drivepool last weekend. I found it to be a good replacement of drive extender from WHS v1. One thing I did notice that when real time duplication is turned on the write performance of the pooled drive goes down a bit. But it does do something really cool is that when it reads it streams from both copies as if they were striped.

Also I did turn on the native media server and forgot to turn off the option to download additional meta-data and a lot of my music meta-data got messed up. I had to recopy my music from the v1 server after ticking the option off.

Muaddib

Muaddib

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Stablebit is a Godsend. The software should be heavily pubbed by the community even the WHSv1 snobs :)

With Stablebit, WHSv2 is better than WHSv1 in every way.

dbailey75

dbailey75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

I started by trial of Stablebit Drivepool last weekend. I found it to be a good replacement of drive extender from WHS v1. One thing I did notice that when real time duplication is turned on the write performance of the pooled drive goes down a bit. But it does do something really cool is that when it reads it streams from both copies as if they were striped.

Also I did turn on the native media server and forgot to turn off the option to download additional meta-data and a lot of my music meta-data got messed up. I had to recopy my music from the v1 server after ticking the option off.

I'm only running two drives in the pool, but Drivepool, also balances the data across the drives, WHS V1 DE, would fill up one drive, and then move to the next, it did not ever balance the data, I was running a seperate tool to balance the data, while I much perfer the automatic route. I've rebuilt my server yet once again, and this time, I left some data on the pooled drives, and you can just reinstall the drive, and then copy data from one drive to a pooled driver, from what I've read, you can even take a drive out of a whs v1 machine, and then just add it to the drivepool, I've not tried this, but it seems to be the fastest way to migrate your data.

Also, if you have installed WHS Rollup one, by defaut the medata tool is turned off (you should notice an alert about turning the feature on), so you may have turned it on by mistake.

britgeezer

britgeezer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Its great! I've been using it since the first Beta's

majones

majones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm a recent acquirer of WHS2011, and without much thought I also purchased DriveBender because it offered button-click (software) duplication. I am very impressed. I hadn't considered Drivepool. What are the benefits?

whatsinaname

whatsinaname

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I am on the fence about buying drivepool. I am like everyone else. I loved DE in WHS v1, and now with my new server I constantly find myself wondering where I should store what. My only concern is that if you duplicate folders, your server backup duplicates them as well. Not efficient for me, I have a 250 gig os drive, and two 750 gig drives, I have two 1TB external drives I rotate for off site storage. If I backup all my server and data w/o duplication I can fit it on the 1TB external. If I drivepool causes the backup up the duplicated folders it wouldn't all fit..... If there were a way not to backup the duplicates that would be awesome. Hopefully it evolves into something like that.

John_Dumke

John_Dumke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Stablebit is a Godsend. The software should be heavily pubbed by the community even the WHSv1 snobs :)

With Stablebit, WHSv2 is better than WHSv1 in every way.

Ditto: with DrivePool, I can't see anything WHS v1 does better. WHS v1 is just clunky slow. In addition, DrivePool is a much better program that the original MS DE.

The only downside is I had to wait 15 months for the upgrade.

John_Dumke

John_Dumke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
duplicate - delete

Pulinski

Pulinski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Just installed WHS2011 after running WHS v1 for 4 years. I have had my copy of WHS2011 for 9 months and has held off upgrading. Once DrivePool was released I thought it was time to swap.

Did the install last night, no major issues.

My observations is that the WHS 2011 Server is considerably faster.

Descision time, I need to decide whether to pay for Cloudberry (native WHS) or stick with Jungle Disk (not native WHS).

Jame

Jame

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Has anybody done a side by side comparison with Drive Bender & DrivePool? I'm still running WHSV1 and sitting on the fence trying to decide which is better. Since both are post-Beta, very unsure which to go for.. Please advise

Teetime

Teetime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Has anybody done a side by side comparison with Drive Bender & DrivePool? I'm still running WHSV1 and sitting on the fence trying to decide which is better. Since both are post-Beta, very unsure which to go for.. Please advise

I'm not aware of one but I recall that Terry has one planned. I think they hope to publish it this summer.

/jerry

dbailey75

dbailey75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Agreed, woud like to know more about I/O performance, and what's under the hood or both programs.

I'm still running stable bit, paid license, with no issue other than a compatiblitly problem I encountered with Comodo AV, uninstalling Comodo resolved the issue, and I'm now running ESET NOD 32 as my AV so far so good. But my server is the HP N40L Microserver, needing More CPU, I've built a second whs 2011 using an Asus P8H67-I MB and a I5-2400 CPU, and I installed the latest release of Drivebender 1.3.1. I just have two 2tb drives in the Pool, but I've had some of the fastest transfer rates ever on my network, I copied all the data from 3 shares off my N40l, and I had tranfers rates exceeding 80 MB/s to the Asus server with driver bender, I've never had speeds like that on my network, to say the least, I was impressed with driver bender, but I have to say, the DB dashboard is very confusing at first, but if you take the time to read all the infon, it's not too bad.

Drive bender has also lowered it's price from $40, to $20 bucks, guess the wegotserved survey showing that more repondants were using Stablebit, got their attention.

I'm going to use if for a month and see how it goes.

crracer

crracer

Advanced Member

• WGS Supporter
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Harescrambles, anything off-road, NFL & Broncos

Cons:
1)
Remote access works, but WHS 2011 reports router as not being set up properly.
I can't really think of any other Cons relative to v1, I will add to the list.
Maybe as I continue to use the product I will find some other cons.

Mine says that now as well since I manually forwarded ports 80, 443, and 4125. If I let WHS 2011 setup the router (Netgear 3700v2), it says everything is hunky dorey, but my local 'remote web access' wouldn't work. It would only work out of my home network.

With my old router and new router WHS 2011 would only UPnP ports 80 and 443, not 4125. So I manually entered that one on both old and new router. One my old router, I was golden doing this. On my new router, not so much. So, I manually forward all ports, and WHS says it's not setup correct, but it works like it should now.

I don't know exactly which entry fixed my local remote web access issue as I manually forwarded all 3 ports at the same time that I disabled the readyshare feature on the new router (I noticed readyshare was using port 80 and didn't know if this was a possible conflict).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: drive pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.