Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

20Gb Of Ram, Only 8Gb Usable?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Richard Ainz

Richard Ainz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I was over my system settings and noticed this, which must have eluded me previously. See screenshot.

Any explanation?

Attached Files

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

bobbyc

bobbyc

Advanced Member

• WGS Supporter
  • 642 posts
  • Interests:Shoveling SNOW
Contributor
WHS 2011 is based on the Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation edition. This OS has a 8GB limit. Here is a link to MS site explaining the limits based on the different versions of the OS.

Richard Ainz

Richard Ainz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Damn. I need that for virtual machines. Bloo****y MS

Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Damn. I need that for virtual machines. Bloo****y MS

You can put Win 7 64 bit as your primary OS and then install WHS in a VM. That way you get to use all your RAM.

Richard Ainz

Richard Ainz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Your idea has merit, but I rathert not use a Virtual Machine "in production", at least not until I have tested a bit

Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
I have WHS 2011 running in a VirtualBox VM - I keep it for testing before I move anything to the hardware 2011. It works just fine and appears stable.

EricE

EricE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Your idea has merit, but I rathert not use a Virtual Machine "in production", at least not until I have tested a bit

Test it. I know of very few companies that deploy new servers to bare hardware - almost everything is virtualized these days. Even the last SBS server I deployed, even though it's the only server on the box, is in a VM. Recovery and management of the server is so much easier if it's in a VM... In fact the only servers I currently deploy to bare metal with no VM are WHS to the HP MediaSmart/DataVault appliances since they really can only support one OS due to them only supporting 4GB of RAM.

Richard Ainz

Richard Ainz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

I know of very few companies that deploy new servers to bare hardware - almost everything is virtualized these days.

Yes, I know. I am also aware of configuration related issues with extensive virtualization that you do not have with "bare metal". We have about 80 virtual servers in ESXi environment. From what I gather of the Infrastructure Team, I consider myself fortunate not having those on my watch.

But I will check it out.

EricE

EricE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

I am also aware of configuration related issues with extensive virtualization that you do not have with "bare metal". We have about 80 virtual servers in ESXi environment. From what I gather of the Infrastructure Team, I consider myself fortunate not having those on my watch.

Am I to understand that they think Virtualization is a negative?

To paraphrase the great joke "I think your doing it wrong". While not perfect, the benefits far out weigh the issues - at least from my personal experience and for any other admins I interact with. The only issue I have with virtualization is Microsoft's Hyper-V doesn't support access to USB or serial ports from within a VM - but VMware does. Other hardware related restrictions tend to revolve around desktop OS (such as 3D graphics support - mainly for games) rather than server related issues.

Windows Home Server should run in a VM rather nicely...

Richard Ainz

Richard Ainz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Risking off topic here, a bit, but all I can say is I hear them swear and when we discuss things we do it from very different point of views. Since I deal with support I reflect the needs of the users and since they deal with server administration they reflect the need for, well, administration.
HyperV has been thrown out the window due to issues with windows firewall, if it is disabled, some patching will just generate errors, and if it is enabled other issues happen.
Issues with ESXi have been volume capacity and other stuff I don't recall right now. I could listen in a bit more, but this is not the place to discuss it anyway. From an administrative point of view, the ability to quickly create new servers with similar setup and the advantages of being able to allocate CPU/RAM resources and Disk storage in a simpler way, is of course positive. We never had so many servers... :P

particleman

particleman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have used Superspeed Ramdisk plus to get around the RAM limitations of xp 32 bit and in a few other windows installs. I wonder if it would work with WHS 2011? With Superspeed ramdisk you can create a ramdisk on memory the OS can't/won't allocate and put your pagefile on it; moving the virtual memory into physical memory.

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,726 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor
Not sure that would work. WHS2011's limit is hard coded. It's restricted to 8GBs. If you want more than that, you'd need to use something like Small Business Server 2011 Essentials (which is limited to 16GBs I think... maybe 32... documenation is shady on that subject at best). Or use 2012 Essentials, who's limit is 64GBs, I think.

particleman

particleman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I did a quick search on google looking for people that have tried WHS 2011 with various ramdisk products, and was able to find able to find a german forum where they tried a couple. They had success with Primo Ramdisk Server edition and vSuite Ramdisk from what I could make out. Another forum tried the ramdisk software included with asrock motherboards but that didn't let him address any additional RAM. So it is hit and miss and dependant on what ramdisk software you choose.

http://translate.goo...d=0CDQQ7gEwATgK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.