Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Server Bare Metal Recovery Tutorial Questions?

- - - - - whs 2011 bmr server backup server restore

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

KesterHouse

KesterHouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Contributor
Hi ho,

Just a quick note to say I've posted a three part series (it just kept getting longer and longer!) about performing Bare Metal Recovery over in the WGS Tutorials section. I realize "comments" are available within the Tutorials section, but I thought it might be easier to use the forums to deal with any questions that may come up. I hope that's okay.

Here's some links to the tutorials:
BMR Part I - Backup Preparation
BMR Part II - Finding the Backups
BMR Part III - Restoring the System

Hope that helps,
-Jeff K.
  • LanMonkey likes this

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Teetime

Teetime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Jeff, outstanding job on this tutorial! I intend to go through the test BMR later this week and will report back if I encounter any issues. I will be attempting the test headless.

Thanks for your substantial effort and for sharing it with the community.

/jerry

KesterHouse

KesterHouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Contributor

[snip]
I will be attempting the test headless.

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated

I'm very interested to hear how this works out - I can't imagine how one works through all those WinRE questions without a GUI available - then again I've had zero experience running a headless system. Hopefully you have an spare, blank HDD to test with since I've got no idea what it might do to your existing system. Please be careful, and good luck!

-Jeff K.

b_x20852

b_x20852

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for the very good and useful guide! I wonder if it is at all possible to schedule the BMR backup to run every other week, for example...

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,115 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor
You bet. IIRC, though, WHS2011 wants to do it every day. :)

The Server Backup feature does the BMR image when it backs up. The dashboard does a basic configuration, but if you use the actual management console to set up backups, you can do a heck of a lot more stuff.

b_x20852

b_x20852

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You bet. IIRC, though, WHS2011 wants to do it every day. :)

Aha, even better!

Also, is it correct that the backups stored under Stablebit Drivepool can't be used for BMR? Stablebit claims that "data is stored in standard NTFS files. You can always access your files even if the Windows Home Server completely crashes or this add-in can't be used."

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,115 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor
the StableBit "DrivePool" doesn't use NTFS... so it cant' be backed up. But you can backup all the drives that are in the pool. In fact, that's what StableBit recommends. Though you're bsaically screwed if you want to backup more than 2TB worth of data..... :(

b_x20852

b_x20852

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

the StableBit "DrivePool" doesn't use NTFS... so it cant' be backed up. But you can backup all the drives that are in the pool. In fact, that's what StableBit recommends. Though you're bsaically screwed if you want to backup more than 2TB worth of data..... :(

Ok, it's not a problem for me as I want to do BMR backups just for a system drive - I have system installed on 64GB SSD, and want to be able quickly restore it when (not IF :( ) that SSD goes south... BTW, I don't see any reason to do BMR backup for anything else... do I miss something here?..

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,115 posts
Contributor
If you want to just the System disk, that's perfect. :)

famousdavis

famousdavis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Question regarding this statement, "BMR does not have the ability to "shrink-to-fit" the partitions stored in a system image if you are attempting to recover the system to a smaller capacity hard disk than the one that was backed-up. The target recovery disk must be of equal or greater capacity than the disk it is replacing."

My system drive is a 500GB that uses two partitions -- the default action from the WHS install. I think the C: is 60GB so the D: must be about 440GB. It's a WD Blue drive, whereas I use Black drives for all my other server drives. I expect the Blue drive to fail before any of my Black drives, so when it does, if I replace it with a 1TB Black drive, how does the restore function deal with the new 500GB of disk space? Does it become part of the D: drive, or is it just unallocated space?

I use my D: partition to store the client backup database, so if I start to run out of space on D:, I may want to replace the system HDD even before I get a disk failure, so I can have a larger D: partition. I don't really want to model what it takes to replace a system drive untill its time to do so.

Thanks

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,115 posts
Contributor
@Famousdavis: if you're talking about the server backup stuff, that's completely different. That actually should be able to restore a backup to a different size.

famousdavis

famousdavis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Okay, so I'm a little confused - please enlighten me.

What's the difference between what my server does twice a day -- writing what I thought was everything it needs to build a new system disk if mine crashes -- and the ad hoc process called BMR?

I thought by doing twice-a-day backups of my system disk (C: partition and the D: partition which only contains the client backup database, no shared data folders), I was already good to go when it comes time to restore my server. Right or wrong?

Thanks

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,115 posts
Contributor
It's how it's handled. Server Backup uses a very different format than the WHS Client backups. Namely, the Client Backups use a proprietary format for storing "cluster data", while the Server Backup is basically just a VHD used for copying the system (VHD is a) what a VM uses, and B) why there is the 2TB limit for backups).
As for BMR, that just means any "full system" restore to a "bare metal" computer.
Restoring from a Server Backup basically just copies the data from the VHD and applies it to the system. the WHS client restore copies the data over the network, cluster by cluster. So you *must* have enough available clusters on the HDD for how many are used on the disk originally for that client.

That help clarify for you? If not, please ask what you need clarification on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whs 2011 bmr, server backup, server restore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.