Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dashboard Works Launchpad Doesn't!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

britgeezer

britgeezer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
New WHS install previously using for a long time, all seems to work except Launchpad.

Green sign on screen comes up requesting user name and password, I type the PC name (as seen in dashboard) and the admin password (the only one I ever provided) but it refuses with name or password error. All 3 stations (W7-64) have the same issue. No add-ins installed.

I tried name as Admin, blank (no good) and no password but no luck - what am I missing.

In dashboard under users there is just Guest since no PC is logged in. I can access the shared drives, backups are being made and can run Dashboard from all PC's but I can't run Launchpad.

Any Ideas?

I do have homegroup turned on.

thanks

BG

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Geoff Coupe

Geoff Coupe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
First set up your users. The Launchpad uses user accounts, not PC names...
  • britgeezer likes this

Geoff Coupe

Geoff Coupe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Oh - and I wouldn't turn the Homegroup on in the Server, if I were you. Not if you want to have different access rights per user. Homegroups and individual user access rights don't mix very well in WHS 2011.
  • britgeezer likes this

britgeezer

britgeezer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Ooops thanks, I don't recall having to do that before (create the account) but it did the trick. :rolleyes:
Access is the same for all except for guest and I don't use that feature so is homegroup a real concern for me? If I get any access rights issues thanks for the tip to turn it off

britgeezer

britgeezer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Oh - and I wouldn't turn the Homegroup on in the Server, if I were you. Not if you want to have different access rights per user. Homegroups and individual user access rights don't mix very well in WHS 2011.

You were correct, Homegroups made things confusing.

britgeezer

britgeezer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Have originally created my use shares manually and then adding the user account properly also seemed to cause issues, so I deleted the user accounts in dashboard manually removed any trace of them on the server and then rebooted before add the user accounts in dashboard.

Only problem is that although the user accounts were created, their name shares are not showing. At this point is it OK to add them manually?

britgeezer

britgeezer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Decided to do a clean install.

scorpionvenom

scorpionvenom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

thanks you have helped me out big time was wondering what was going wrong for me lol :)

mhkazi

mhkazi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My lauchpad is missing the ADD ins folder on all my computers what must be the problem. Also my launchpad keeps displaying the error "an Add in could not be installed".

Geoff Coupe

Geoff Coupe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

My lauchpad is missing the ADD ins folder on all my computers what must be the problem. Also my launchpad keeps displaying the error "an Add in could not be installed".

I'm not quite understanding what you are saying here. Do you mean that when you click the "Shared Folders" link in the Launchpad, then in the Windows Explorer window that opens, you don't see an "Add-ins" folder?

If so, then that's quite correct. WHS 2011 does not have an Add-ins shared folder set up by default. You're thinking of WHS v1, which did.

Add-ins are installed quite differently in WHS 2011 from how they were installed in WHS v1.

In WHS v1, you had to put the Add-in installation file into the Add-ins folder on the server.

For WHS 2011, you run the installation file directly from one of your client PCs, and it will install the Add-in on the WHS 2011 server.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.