Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help: Wd 3Tb Drive Only Showing As 700Gb (Not 2.1Tb)

- - - - - western digital whs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

tsawicki

tsawicki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I just got the WD 3TB Green HD and when I put it into my 49x HP it only showed up as 700GB instead of 2.1TB. Any ideas as to why or what I should do to access at least the 2.1TB (going to try the 3TB WHS hacks).

Many thanks in advance for any advice,
Todd

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,784 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
If it's v1, then it's not supported by the server. Period.
At best, you'd have to do the "GPT hack".... which is more complicated than it should be ( go microsoft for screwing us over because they want to format as MBR only, and not GPT!)
https://spackle.word...-3tb-in-whs-v1/

WHS2011 supports it just fine, if you delete all the partitions, and convert it to GPT, and then create a partition.

tsawicki

tsawicki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Drashna - thanks for responding - I know that 3TB isn't supported natively.  My issue is for whatever reason the 3TB Western Digital drive isn't showing 2.1TB as it should - instead it shows a capacity of only 746GB.  I thought I found someone who discussed this issue but can't find it again.  Hoping someone recalls the issue (HD driver?).
Thanks!

bobbyc

bobbyc

Advanced Member

• WGS Supporter
  • 643 posts
  • Interests:Shoveling SNOW
Is this what you are looking for?

Guide: How To Make Gpt, 4K Sector Drives And 3Tb Drives Work As Storage Pool Drives In Whs Pp3

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,784 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
That's the "expected" result with the MBR disks over 2TBs. It divides them up like that and mis-reports the size.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: western digital, whs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.