Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Welcome to the Windows Media Center Forum

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

JC634 (WGS)

JC634 (WGS)

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,242 posts
Hi, ya all!

I assume that I will spending a bit of time here, so I might as well start this off. I'm going to be tracking down Media Center items of interest. Some will involve WHS and some not. Hopefully all will be of interest to you, the readers.

As I stated in my Blog post http://www.wegotserv...cross-the-pond/, before I (and others) can provide the most pertinent information to you, we need your feedback. What kind of information are you looking for? Do you have any MC or Digital Media sites that you peruse frequently? Any good (or bad) experiences? Let us know.

If you have a question about one of news Blogs, or about MC in general, this is the place to be. If you are new to MC, don’t feel like the Lone Ranger. I’ve had VMC for some time now, but by no means do I consider myself a "MC" expert. I will do my best to answer any questions or solve problems. I do *assume* that a few experts will join in, also!

So if you are new to MC, this is your chance to learn about the various features of this software along with me. If you are a veteran of MC, this is your chance to share your knowledge.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Guest_Drashna (WGS)_*

Guest_Drashna (WGS)_*
  • Guests

Hi, ya all!

I assume that I will spending a bit of time here, so I might as well start this off. I'm going to be tracking down Media Center items of interest. Some will involve WHS and some not. Hopefully all will be of interest to you, the readers.

As I stated in my Blog post http://www.wegotserv...cross-the-pond/, before I (and others) can provide the most pertinent information to you, we need your feedback. What kind of information are you looking for? Do you have any MC or Digital Media sites that you peruse frequently? Any good (or bad) experiences? Let us know.

If you have a question about one of news Blogs, or about MC in general, this is the place to be. If you are new to MC, don’t feel like the Lone Ranger. I’ve had VMC for some time now, but by no means do I consider myself a "MC" expert. I will do my best to answer any questions or solve problems. I do *assume* that a few experts will join in, also!

So if you are new to MC, this is your chance to learn about the various features of this software along with me. If you are a veteran of MC, this is your chance to share your knowledge.

Good to know, and it looks like I'll be needing to split the wiki tutorials/guides, one set for WHS and another for MC (and have individual pages linked to both when appropriate).

Kevin Croft

Kevin Croft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Casual Programming (nothing serious)<br />Chemical Engineer<br />Hiking and Camping<br />Fun with my children<br />
I am looking forward to reading this forum.

I have a nice Dell XPS 410 on a desk built in to my kithchen that my kids use with Vista Premium. I have the VMC on this machine set up with an Xbox 360 in the den. I am intersted in using WHS to store home videos as well as my kid's purchased DVD's. I would like my kid's to be able to easily view these videos on the TV in the den. The kids are hard on the disks!

I am interested in reading about the most efficient methods of ripping, storing, and accessing these videos. I am also interested in reading about the best and cheapest tools to accomplish this.

Thanks.

JC634 (WGS)

JC634 (WGS)

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,242 posts

I have a nice Dell XPS 410 on a desk built in to my kithchen that my kids use with Vista Premium. I have the VMC on this machine set up with an Xbox 360 in the den. I am intersted in using WHS to store home videos as well as my kid's purchased DVD's. I would like my kid's to be able to easily view these videos on the TV in the den. The kids are hard on the disks!

I am interested in reading about the most efficient methods of ripping, storing, and accessing these videos. I am also interested in reading about the best and cheapest tools to accomplish this.

Thanks.

I may have to add some stuff here regarding your interests. If I ever find time... Anyway, if you go to http://www.wegotserv...s-media-center/, you will find some tools and other ideas on what has been discussed in the blogs. You might want to check the wiki, also. Should be a few tidbits there, also.

Guest_Drashna (WGS)_*

Guest_Drashna (WGS)_*
  • Guests

Thanks.

It's not really cheap, but DVD Fab with dvd mobile allows you to rip DVDs to pretty much any format you want. AVI, WMV, MPG, ISO even. :P I personally love the software and swear by it.

Kevin Croft

Kevin Croft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Casual Programming (nothing serious)<br />Chemical Engineer<br />Hiking and Camping<br />Fun with my children<br />

It's not really cheap, but DVD Fab with dvd mobile allows you to rip DVDs to pretty much any format you want. AVI, WMV, MPG, ISO even. :P I personally love the software and swear by it.

Thanks! I have done some surfing for tools, but had not seen this one. I will give it a look.

I already have a good way to create ISO's. This seems to be an efficient format for storage. I just have not figured out how to play them on the Xbox 360. I am just getting started in learning the ins/outs of streaming to the xbox. I am not fond of mounting a lot of virtual drives from ISO's.

JC634 (WGS)

JC634 (WGS)

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,242 posts
I 2nd the DVDfab. Excellent free piece of SW. V4 is free. V5 is a trial version.

Guest_Drashna (WGS)_*

Guest_Drashna (WGS)_*
  • Guests

I 2nd the DVDfab. Excellent free piece of SW. V4 is free. V5 is a trial version.

yeah. And I know it should be able to "convert" ISOs to WMVs. Just click on the "mobile" menu and "XBOX 360" :) And you can do the same for DVDs.

I've started to convert my all my collection to WMV namely because there is much better support for the 360, and media center. And no codec issues! And much smaller space.

Kevin Croft

Kevin Croft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Thanks! I have done some surfing for tools, but had not seen this one. I will give it a look.

I already have a good way to create ISO's. This seems to be an efficient format for storage. I just have not figured out how to play them on the Xbox 360. I am just getting started in learning the ins/outs of streaming to the xbox. I am not fond of mounting a lot of virtual drives from ISO's.

An update on this: I follwed instructions from: Using Transcoder 360 ...

I am storing movies as ISO's on WHS. My Movies installed on my VMC machnine. I can play the movies directly on my Xbox360.

My Movies uses the share path name to WHS videos in the database to point to the movie.

My Movies automatically uses my copy of Virtual Clonedrive to mount the ISO on my VMC machine. This happens "on the fly" when I select a movie to stream from the My Movies interface on the Xbox360. As long as I end the movie with the eject command on the Xbox360, the ISO is "unmounted" when I am done watching.

I agree with Drashna regarding the compatibility and space consideration of using WMV files. My main reason for prefering ISO ... I keep one copy of the movie in a form that is easy to burn to a new disk in original, complete format if I need to. I often like to burn fresh disks for my kids to use on long road trips. They tend to be very hard on disks when travelling. It is nice to have a selection of disks for them to abuse with their portable player during the trip and I don't have to worry myself about what damage is being done to them.

Guest_Drashna (WGS)_*

Guest_Drashna (WGS)_*
  • Guests

I agree with Drashna regarding the compatibility and space consideration of using WMV files. My main reason for prefering ISO ... I keep one copy of the movie in a form that is easy to burn to a new disk in original, complete format if I need to. I often like to burn fresh disks for my kids to use on long road trips. They tend to be very hard on disks when travelling. It is nice to have a selection of disks for them to abuse with their portable player during the trip and I don't have to worry myself about what damage is being done to them.

That's absolutely a reason to keep the ISOs. But as I have limited funds which means limited HDD space... I want to maximize my storage space. 95% of my movies are in avi format, but will soon be converted to WMV for better support (in WMC, and for a future 360).

I don't have kids yet, so I don't have to worry about them breaking/damaging stuff. :)

otipoby

otipoby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Kudo's to starting the Client OS forums. My family uses Win7 MCE with 2 extenders as my sole entertainment hub. We love it. In the past, I have had questions that are mostly MCE related but have a thread of WHS. I would usually post these questions on TheGreenButton (another awesome forum). Now I can post them here as well!! Great addition to a great community.

Terry (WGS)

Terry (WGS)

Owner

• Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts
Contributor
Thanks for the feedback - the Green Button is indeed a great forum! Looking forward to checking out your posts...

Best wishes
Terry

Kudo's to starting the Client OS forums. My family uses Win7 MCE with 2 extenders as my sole entertainment hub. We love it. In the past, I have had questions that are mostly MCE related but have a thread of WHS. I would usually post these questions on TheGreenButton (another awesome forum). Now I can post them here as well!! Great addition to a great community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.