Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Impossible To Create A Storage Space Of A Partition?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Sylar

Sylar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey!

I have a 2TB HDD in my WS 2012. 180GB System Partition and a 2. partition with 1600GB.
I created a Storage Pool and add the 2. partition to the pool (none resilency).

Later I change the pool (2-Way Mirror, Parity and so on) to try it out. Now i want to create a pool with none resilency.
The problem is, Storage Space says he can't find any drives.
I reinstalled Windows, delete all partition and reinstalled Windows again. But it won't works any more :(

I can only create a pool with other drives. But I want to add the 2. partition of the 2TB HDD. Any ideas, what's wrong ?

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,406 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor
You may need to load a "disk editing" util boot disk (such as gparted) to reformat the disks,, to "reclaim" them, and reuse them in Storage Spaces.

Sylar

Sylar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
What for a system i need to reformat the partition? I alread tried ntfs, fat... but the Storage Space still can't find any drives

Or do you mean i have to reclaim the whole disk and format everything (Windows too), then reinstall windows and with gparted create a new partition?

ViRGE

ViRGE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I think what Drashna is trying to say is that Windows may still think the disk is part of a storage space, so it may need to be completely wiped to break that relationship. A reformatting is not a complete wipe in this case; you have to delete the partitions.

Sylar

Sylar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I deleted all Partitions with GParted too! Later I created 2 new Partitions again and after Windows are installed, the problem is still there.

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,406 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor
Are you trying to say that you want to add a partition of the system disk to the storage space? If so... that cannot be done. Only whole disks can be added. The Storage Space thing is done on the disk level, before things like partitions even come into play. So you can't add a part of a disk, you can only add a whole disk.

Sylar

Sylar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The strange thing is, that I could added a partiton to the Storage Space! I found some info by microsoft, they mean the same! The storage space could only add whole disks.

Thanks for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.