Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Amd Usb 3.0 Drivers

* * * * * 1 votes

Best Answer mika91 , 28 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Ok, solved.
I tweak drivers *.inf files, replacing NTamd64.6.1.1 with NTamd64.6.1! (6.1.1 is for w7 and 6.1 for server2008r2 & whs2011)

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

mika91

mika91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hi,

I just installed my new server, but I have some troubles about usb drivers.
I have a gigabyte GA-F2A85XM-D3H, with native AMD usb 3.0 ports (confirmed by the gigabyte hotline).

In the device manager, there are two unknown Universal "Serial Bus (USB) Controller" with PID VEN_1022&DEV_7812

I tried installing/desinstalling gigabyte, then amd all-in one chipset drivers without succes.

Finally, I tried to manualy add the driver, using C:\AMD\Support\13-1_vista_win7_win8_32-64_sb\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\hseries\USB30\W764A\amdxhc.inf file but I got an error:" The folder you specified doesn't contain a sfotware compatible.....make sure it is designed to word with windows x64-based system".
I tested all the folders in the USB3.0 directory.

Does anybody have the same troubles?
And a solution?

Thanks

Attached Files

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

I have had problems with my Gigabyte motherboard and USB 3 in Windows 8. I contacted Gigabyte and they were very helpful. An updated Bios solved my problem. You might want to contact them.

mika91

mika91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.
I contacted them, but they don't mention about a bios update.
What is your board?

mika91

mika91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
✓  Best Answer

Ok, solved.
I tweak drivers *.inf files, replacing NTamd64.6.1.1 with NTamd64.6.1! (6.1.1 is for w7 and 6.1 for server2008r2 & whs2011)

• BobDeGr54 likes this

Robtrout5

Robtrout5

• WGS Supporter
  • 3 posts

@mika91 did you have any other driver issues with this motherboard and whs 2011. I am about to purchase this motherboard for exactly this purpose and found your post so have held off now looking to make sure i can find drivers.

What about the audio on the board. Did that work with the standard driver set?

Which AMD processor are you using. I plan on buying the A10 8500K.

Like the board due to the number of SATA ports and price :)

Dwight1379

Dwight1379

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Ok, solved.

Hi mika91

Could you give a bit more detail as I have the same problem with an Asus board.

1 Did you rename the files?

2 Did you have to open in a program and change anything?

Cheers

Robtrout5

Robtrout5

• WGS Supporter
  • 3 posts

Can anyone please shed some light on what has been done in this suggestion to change names on the .inf file for this motherboard.

I have my WHS2011 loaded and setup using one of these gigabyte motherboards. The only feature i cannot get working are USB 3.0 ports on both front and back and the PCI bus driver.

Now here are the odd parts.

I have disabled the onboard Lan port in favor of an intel pci board i found via this site. Its working. Go figure i have no idea how this works when the PCi bus drivers are not installed.

I have tried all sorts been to AMD site downloaded their app and run it still no joy.

This USB 3.0 feature is a function of the AMD chipset as i can make it out. There are some systems that are using the ex NEC now Renesas chip and i even tried their driver setup for USB. Still no luck.

Have written to Gigabyte hoping to hear something but they make it clear which OS this board and their drivers support and WHS 2011 is not one of them. I have asked if they have a win 2008r2 driver for the USb 3.0 chipset feature.

Anyhow anychance anyone here can offer any other ideas to get this working fully.

For the record i have my whs 2011 OS installed on a 120gb ssd drive so the hack to use F10 and change the size of drive through notepad works.

Help please someone have spent two days now trying to find a fix. This is a great Motherboard with its features. Great to have 8 6gbyte/s sata ports. I will post some pics of my box and setup when done.

lordmoosh

lordmoosh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello all,

I have been using Windows Home Server 2011 for a year or so now with a Gigabyte AMD E-350 cpu/motherboard. It has a USB 3.0 Renesas controller that never worked right in WHS 2011 so I was stuck with USB 2.0 for a long time. I bought an AMD A10-5700 and an MSI FM2 ITX motherboard and swapped out the motherboard/cpu today. Lo and behold my new motherboard's USB 3.0 drivers were not detected. After reading this thread I determined how to get the USB 3.0 drivers to install. You may follow these at your own risk. I tried my best to remember all of the steps from memory since I've gone through them all already on my machine during a tedious exploratory process. I'll try to make corrections if you guys get stuck.

1)Install the AMD SouthBridge drivers which you can find here:

http://support.amd.c..._windows.aspx#2

After the install is complete you will notice some drivers did not install properly (SMBUS, PCI Device, USB Controllers)

2)To install the USB 3.0 drivers you have to edit these two files (your path maybe different depending on version you installed, I installed the current version 13-1 as of today):

C:\AMD\Support\13-1_vista_win7_win8_32-64_sb\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\hseries\USB30\amdhub\W764A\amdhub30.inf

C:\AMD\Support\13-1_vista_win7_win8_32-64_sb\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\hseries\USB30\amdxhc\W764A\amdxhc.inf

In these two files replace anywhere it says "5.1.1" with "6.1". In each file (for me) there were 4 occurances for a total of 8 between the two files.

3)Then go to the Device Manager, double click on the USB 3.0 device, click the Driver tab, click Update Driver, click Browse my computer for driver software, and paste the link to your drivers:

C:\AMD\Support\13-1_vista_win7_win8_32-64_sb\

Make sure "Include subfolders" is checked off.

It will give you a warning about not trusting the drivers. Install anyway. You will see the installation go and see an error and a couple of Unknown Devices pop up. Repeat step for all USB 3.0 devices and Unknown Devices. For my motherboard I had to do this for 4 devices. They later appear as AMD USB 3.0 Host Controller and AMD USB 3.0 Root Hub.

4) I also manually installed this USB3 program:

C:\AMD\Support\13-1_vista_win7_win8_32-64_sb\Packages\Apps\USB3DD\USB3DD64\USB3DD64.msi

5) To install the SMBUS drivers run this:

C:\AMD\Support\13-1_vista_win7_win8_32-64_sb\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SMBus\W764A\SMBUSamd.msi

6)To install the PCI Device do this:

Go to the Device Manager, double click on the PCI device, click the Driver tab, click Update Driver, click Browse my computer for driver software, and paste the link to your drivers:

7) Also I noticed that the AMD SATA drivers were not installed. WHS2011 was using the Microsoft drivers. To get the AMD SATA drivers working:

Go to the Device Manager, expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, double click on the SATA Device (I forget what its called now that I have already gone through this, there were several choices, most with numbers. Look for the main SATA device and double click on it), click the Driver tab, click Update Driver, click Browse my computer for driver software, and paste the link to your drivers:

Hopefully this helps you out. I think that was it. I will try to keep an eye on this thread in case anyone needs help.

• BobDeGr54 and eatpills like this

robertbailey

robertbailey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Hi any one update on this problem, i tried the above editing the files but still no joy

Thanks

Robert

okay edit and move to he root of c:\ , amd cant seartch sub folders

eatpills

eatpills

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Just registered to say that this thread helped me a lot!

After applying the .inf file hack, USB3 is finally working on my GA-F2A88XM-D3H with Windows Server 2008 R2 :)

lordmoosh

lordmoosh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I just had to rebuild my WHS2011 server due to a failed SSD. I went through the steps I laid out above and ran into problems so I needed to add an additional step to the instructions. Use the steps posted above but also do the following. Note I was able to successfully install all of these drivers using the latest AMD 13.12 WHQL drivers. I tested my USB flash drive and got 150 MB reads and writes. I think the writes were overstated because when the file dialog box was finished copying I still had to wait like 10 seconds until the dialog went away but things were very fast on USB 3.0

For step 2) you also need to do the following:

For FILE C:\AMD\Support\13-1_vista_win7_win8_32-64_sb\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\hseries\USB30\amdhub\W764A\amdhub30.inf

On this line you have to add NTamd64.6.1 as a manufacturer option:

Before:

[Manufacturer]
 %AMD% = AMD, NTx86.6.1.1, NTx86.6.0.1, NTamd64.6.1.1, NTamd64.6.0.1

After:

[Manufacturer]
 %AMD% = AMD, NTx86.6.1.1, NTx86.6.0.1, NTamd64.6.1.1, NTamd64.6.0.1, NTamd64.6.1

For FILE: C:\AMD\Support\13-1_vista_win7_win8_32-64_sb\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\hseries\USB30\amdxhc\W764A\amdxhc.inf

For this line you must replace 5.1.1 with 6.1:

Before:

[AMD.NTamd64.5.1.1]

After:

[AMD.NTamd64.6.1]

Good luck.

Semore666

Semore666

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I just had to rebuild my WHS2011 server due to a failed SSD. I went through the steps I laid out above and ran into problems so I needed to add an additional step to the instructions. Use the steps posted above but also do the following. Note I was able to successfully install all of these drivers using the latest AMD 13.12 WHQL drivers. I tested my USB flash drive and got 150 MB reads and writes. I think the writes were overstated because when the file dialog box was finished copying I still had to wait like 10 seconds until the dialog went away but things were very fast on USB 3.0

For step 2) you also need to do the following:

For FILE C:\AMD\Support\13-1_vista_win7_win8_32-64_sb\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\hseries\USB30\amdhub\W764A\amdhub30.inf

Hey guys.

I don't actually have the folder SBDrv inside the Drivers folder. I'm on a Gigagyte F2A88XN-WIFI itx mobo with a A10-6800K APU and the driver the AMD site detected for me was 13.12. 

The address looks like this: C:\AMD\Support\13-12_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql\Packages\Drivers

I've tried sneaking the folder in there with copy paste and following all of your instructions but to no avail. No matter weather I check or uncheck the box saying "include subdirectories" and it also doesn't matter if I select the exact folder or a higher up one. Nothing. :S

EDIT: SUCCESS!!! FIXED! nevermind - i found that the 13-12_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql driver package was completely different to the 13-1_vista_win7_win8_32-64_sb\ package. I did a complete 60gb SSD re-install and searched the EXACT driver mentioned in this thread (with emphasis on the 'sb' at the end of the driver package), got the usb installed, then proceeded to update to the latest graphics drivers. SUCCESS!!!!

now to try get the ethernet controller working so it can do it's job as a server properly :\ anyone?

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,424 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor

Well, I'm glad to hear that you sorted this out.

As for the NIC driver, it's a realtek .... But it should install right away, without any issues.

Gammit10

Gammit10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I tried to do this exact thing, but with the latest 14.4 drivers, and it did not work. Should I try to get the 13.2 drivers?

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,424 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor

If you're having issues with the newer drivers, then yes, definitely try the older ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.