Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Does Server 2012 Essentials Use My Nvidia Gpu

- - - - -

Best Answer Drashna Jaelre (WGS) , 27 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

Lots of questions. :P

As for the graphics, that depends on where it's plugged in. If you plug in the monitor/tv to the gfx card and not the onboard, it should use the gfx card.

Though, just keep in mind that it is a server and the optimization is not for foreground (or running applications), it's for the background processes and services.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

smithderek76

smithderek76

Advanced Member

• WGS Supporter
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Media Archiving, Comic Books, Intricacies of Life in General,

I have installed my WSE2012 on an Asus CG5290 with a I7 processor and 24GB of RAM (If I decide to purchase after evaluation is over I may switch over to my WHS2011 box). I was wondering if while running WSE2012 does the OS even use my Nvidia GPU or do all of the graphics come from the cpu and if so is there anyway to enable the GPU I have the box connected to a 60 HDTV (its right next to it and I had an extra HDMI port and cable so why not) and I was curious as this is one of the few PC's I have that will handle my Dolphin emulator. I have tried to run a few of my older emulators with no success so I was wondering. In addition is there away to enable sound.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,726 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor
✓  Best Answer

Lots of questions. :P

As for the graphics, that depends on where it's plugged in. If you plug in the monitor/tv to the gfx card and not the onboard, it should use the gfx card.

Though, just keep in mind that it is a server and the optimization is not for foreground (or running applications), it's for the background processes and services.

MaxWHS

MaxWHS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

My WES 2012 is running in a HTPC case under my TV stand and it is connected to my TV through hdmi. Beside using it as a server I run XBMC for my media center needs and PowerDVD for playing Blu Ray movies without any issues.

miles267

miles267

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
WS2012E for a HTPC seems like a mismatch.

therealdippy

therealdippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

You don't mention which graphics card you have. Officially only professional graphics cards are supported by NVIDIA on the server OS, so the 'in the box' WSE driver may not support your card if it is from the comsumer range. If its doesn't then you just need to manually install a client OS driver.

smithderek76

smithderek76

Advanced Member

• WGS Supporter
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Media Archiving, Comic Books, Intricacies of Life in General,

NVIDIA® GeForce GTX260

I am in the process of downloading the driver now will report back if it works

It installed successfully Thanxs for the suggestion

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,726 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor

I had a GTX 560 installed in my server for a bit. Works fine, but you definitely need to install the Windows 8 x64 drivers.

smithderek76

smithderek76

Advanced Member

• WGS Supporter
  • 536 posts

I used the Windows 7 driver would there be a difference

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,726 posts
Contributor

That should be fine. I think it's the same installer for Vista/7/8. 

But if there is an option, you'd want the Windows 8 one, as that's specifically designed for the OS.

therealdippy

therealdippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Drashna is correct - NVIDIA's current drivers are common for Win 8, Win 7 and Vista - if you download the Win 7 installer it is the same file you would have got if you downloaded the Win 8 installer.

JesterEE

JesterEE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

I tried to install the 320.49 WHQL and 326.41 beta drivers for my GT 240 on WS2012E with no success.  After install the fan on the card slows to minimum and the screen goes dark when booted into Windows.  I needed to restart into Safe Mode to uninstall and revert back to the Microsoft default driver both times.

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,726 posts
Contributor

That's very odd indeed.

I'm using a GeForce 9600 (I think) ... and I was gaming on a GT 560 on my server for a bit (till I was able to get a dedicated desktop for this).

So the drivers should absolutely work. I'd recommend contacting nVidia about this, as it would seem to be a gfx hardware or (more likely) driver issue.

JesterEE

JesterEE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Resurrecting an old post since it still comes up at the top of Google search results on the topic.

I just tried today to install the newest Nvidia GeForce drivers (337.88-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql) on my Windows Server 2012 Essentials install and it worked without a hitch with my GT 240 even though Nvidia does not specify Server 2012 is supported.  I will be installing R2 this week and I am hopeful that I will get similar results there as well.

JesterEE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.