Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Backup Scheme Advice?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Chris Cowles

Chris Cowles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

I'm running WHS2011 on an HP Proliant Microserver. The OS is on a pair of 2.5" 350GB drives in RAID1 format. Currently I have 2 x 1TB + 1 x 2TB as data drives. The 2 TB is partitioned as 2 x 1 TB drives. Effectively I have 4 x 1TB partitions on 3 physical drives.

1 of the 1TB hard drives is dedicated to server backup. Since WHS server backup takes over the drive, I can't give it a partition on the 2 TB drive.

1 x 1TB hard drive + 1 1TB partition on the 2TB hard drive are dedicated to DrivePool. All shares on it are duplicated. I have 1 TB effective data storage space, which is  plenty for my needs.

1 x 1 TB partition on the 2 TB hard drive is used to store client backups and is also a target destination for backups from other machines using CrashPlan. The clients I back up with WHS are not backed up with CrashPlan. It's only for a single floating laptop that my daughter takes to college. CrashPlan seems easier for that purpose than Hamachi, especially since the latter no longer runs as a service.

I have a subscription to CrashPlan+ for off-server backup. My intent is to backup the server backup, the client CrashPlan backup, and perhaps the WHS client backups, if those aren't covered by WHS server backup. My use of CrashPlan in that way is as protection against disaster, such as my house burning down or the server being stolen.

My first issue is that backup of the DrivePool requires backing up both parts of the pool, to get everything. That's a lot of duplication. Am I better off just pairing the 2 x 1TB drives with RAID? That way the primary data protection is RAID and backup of the data share sees only one set of data. My original use of DrivePool was because I had an odd collection of drives. That has changed as I've been able to accrue more similar drives.

My second issue is that I dedicated a 1TB drive to server backup and it filled up REALLY fast. Considering that I have CrashPlan for off-server backup, what should I be protecting with server backup that provides a means to restore the server? I have enough space on 2 other workstations on the network to use CrashPlan to copy some data (maybe the client backup directory?) to them, as redundant off-server backup that can be accessed easily.

Any suggestions are welcome. I don't mind effort reconfiguring drives, etc., to make all this work. But, once configured, it has to be automatic or I'll never keep up with it. If I were required to swap external drives in rotation, the scheme will fail.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Also, what recommendations do you have for using CrashPlan? It interferes with server backup so I can only run it outside the time that server backup is running.

Chris

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

dbailey75

dbailey75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

I'm running WHS2011 on an HP Proliant Microserver. The OS is on a pair of 2.5" 350GB drives in RAID1 format. Currently I have 2 x 1TB + 1 x 2TB as data drives. The 2 TB is partitioned as 2 x 1 TB drives. Effectively I have 4 x 1TB partitions on 3 physical drives.

1 of the 1TB hard drives is dedicated to server backup. Since WHS server backup takes over the drive, I can't give it a partition on the 2 TB drive.

1 x 1TB hard drive + 1 1TB partition on the 2TB hard drive are dedicated to DrivePool. All shares on it are duplicated. I have 1 TB effective data storage space, which is  plenty for my needs.

1 x 1 TB partition on the 2 TB hard drive is used to store client backups and is also a target destination for backups from other machines using CrashPlan. The clients I back up with WHS are not backed up with CrashPlan. It's only for a single floating laptop that my daughter takes to college. CrashPlan seems easier for that purpose than Hamachi, especially since the latter no longer runs as a service.

I have a subscription to CrashPlan+ for off-server backup. My intent is to backup the server backup, the client CrashPlan backup, and perhaps the WHS client backups, if those aren't covered by WHS server backup. My use of CrashPlan in that way is as protection against disaster, such as my house burning down or the server being stolen.

My first issue is that backup of the DrivePool requires backing up both parts of the pool, to get everything. That's a lot of duplication. Am I better off just pairing the 2 x 1TB drives with RAID? That way the primary data protection is RAID and backup of the data share sees only one set of data. My original use of DrivePool was because I had an odd collection of drives. That has changed as I've been able to accrue more similar drives.

My second issue is that I dedicated a 1TB drive to server backup and it filled up REALLY fast. Considering that I have CrashPlan for off-server backup, what should I be protecting with server backup that provides a means to restore the server? I have enough space on 2 other workstations on the network to use CrashPlan to copy some data (maybe the client backup directory?) to them, as redundant off-server backup that can be accessed easily.

Any suggestions are welcome. I don't mind effort reconfiguring drives, etc., to make all this work. But, once configured, it has to be automatic or I'll never keep up with it. If I were required to swap external drives in rotation, the scheme will fail.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Also, what recommendations do you have for using CrashPlan? It interferes with server backup so I can only run it outside the time that server backup is running.

Chris

sounds like you have a good plan,  and having both local and offsite backups is not necessarily over kill.   as you mentioned your use of crash plan is for the very worst case, and I'm sure if provides some reassurance as well.     I don't subscribe to any of the off site backup, but I do keep a copy of all the data that I can not reproduce, documents, photos, home movies, etc, on a hard disk in a fire box, that's on top of the  complete backup set that I do for all the server data, but those drives are in a closet, so in case of fire I'm toast.haha

I've thought about getting a separate fire box for just my HDDs, but haven't got around to it.

You mentioned that you backup up your drive pool, I would recommend that you backup only the shares themselves, this ensures your not backing up the duplicated data.

I'm not fan of the built in backup, I'm using it only to backup my OS drive, for my shares, I'm using a program called backup4all, and the only reason I selected this program is because you can set it to do a checksum of all files, this should help catch any file corruption, either in the backup set or on the server, before its too late.  Lets hope we never find out.

Chris Cowles

Chris Cowles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
I don't subscribe to any of the off site backup, but I do keep a copy of all the data that I can not reproduce, documents, photos, home movies, etc, on a hard disk in a fire box, that's on top of the complete backup set that I do for all the server data ...

Keeping them in a firebox requires physically swapping external drives. If I had to do that, it would never happen.

You mentioned that you backup up your drive pool, I would recommend that you backup only the shares themselves, this ensures your not backing up the duplicated data.

I'm doing what you suggest. I backup from the pool, but not the individual copies of the pool. I'm effectively just backing up the shares as presented by DrivePool. From CrashPlan's perspective, they're not duplicated. I do that only becuase it's easier to use DrivePool's drive letter, and I don't have to concern myself with whether I'm getting all the pieces.

I do backup the WHS client computer backups from one copy of the pool's hidden directories, using server backup. That's because I don't want to back those up to CrashPlan, and becuase server backup requires a real hard disk as a source. Since the client backup folder is duplicated but the pool has only 2 drives, I know that each half fo the pool contains complete copies of all of the files.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.