Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ipad Thinks It's My Whs Server?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Cort

Cort

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
So, I've got something strange going on. xxx.xxx xxx.73 is my home server, named WHS2011. When I did an nslookup on WHS2011, I got back xxx.xxx.xxx.78. When I do nslookup on xxx.xxx.xxx.73, I get back the name WHS2011, the correct name for my server.

I moved all my wife's Apple devices, including the iPad, to the .90 range. The ipad is now .91. NSLOOKUP on WHS2011 now yields the .91 address, so the problem followed.

So, I have two devices thinking they are the server. Wondering if this is why I can't get my wife's Mac connected via the connector software. Any ideas. Would this be a problem in the Uverse gateway? I think it serves as the primary DNS server. I think it recognizes devices by MAC address, and allocates preferred addresses, or you can use the router to assign a fixed address.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Rychek

Rychek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Location:"Where folks know what picante sauce should taste like."
  • Interests:Computers, Home Servers, Warhammer FB, Reading.

I have had similar issues with my home network with UVerse.  For me it is the server's IPMI name that tends to show up in strange places despite not being connected to the network anymore.  I assume it is the 2-Wire gateway because upgrading to Win Server 2012 Essentials didn't resolve the issue. 

SJ_UnderWater

SJ_UnderWater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Contributor

I use a fixed address for my server because port forwarding usually requires it, it may also solve this issue. just make sure it's not a really strange ipv6/4 issue, as most apple services will try to configure themselves over ipv6 when possible. non-airport routers may not be able to handle this well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.