Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Server Backup Fails Due To Insufficent Disk Space - How To Clean Manually?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

THZ

THZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Hello

For my Server 2012 Essentials, I backup the server manually ("Backup once") - since today I cannot backup any more as there is insufficient space on the external USB disk.

How can I free up space? If I ran "Backup Cleanup", nothing happens, the disk space on the HDD remains the same.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,509 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor

I'm assuming you're backing up to the said external USB drive?

If so, I don't think there is a way to clean that.

What is the capacity of the disks that you are a backing up, and the of the backup drive?

THZ

THZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Yes, I'm backing up to that external USB drive.

I even have 2 external drives, which I use alternately to backup to, I rotate them after each backup.

As I don't need automated backups, I followed your instructions in another post here and changed from regular backups to one time backups (backup once). But now the external USB drive is full, and - as you write - there unfortunately is no way to cleanup old backups.

I switched back to regular backups yesterday.

The capacity is: 120 GB OS disk, and 2 x 1 TB drives (but only 600 GB used at this moment, on all drives). The USB drive has 1.5 TB.

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,509 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor

Aside from formatting, I'm not sure there is a way to "fix" them.

I think that if you're not setting up a schedule, each backup takes up additional space, rather than being incremental. And I think that's what is happening here.

Though, I'm not sure, and there isn't a good way to check.

THZ

THZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Thank you! Yes, I think the only way is formatting.

And - it seemed to me that the updates weren't really incremental. They took more and more space.
I reverted back to scheduled backup. I did one full backup yesterday, and 2 incremental, which only took a few minutes. With these one time backups, each backup took 1 hour ore more.

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,509 posts
Contributor

If you're doing manual backups, they may not be incremental. I'm not sure, to be honest.

And as for the scheduled backups, I'm using a 2TB drive, which is backing up a 120GB SSD, and a 500GB partition. It's not used more than maybe 300GBs.

THZ

THZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Yes, that's what I think, too.
I'm using scheduled backups again.

Thank you for your suggestions - as always!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.