Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PS3 Media Server

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

tronski

tronski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi

Have been using the below software to stream content from my HP to my PS3 and it really is good
http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

Problem is that to enable the PS3 to see the server, you have to login via remote desktop once to allow it to complete the boot sequence and for the Java based streamer to load. When using WMP11, this wasn't an issue as PS3 picked up the sever without having to login via remote desktop. Does anyone know if there is a workaround or has anyone managed to get this loading without logging in first?

thanks

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Terry (WGS)

Terry (WGS)

Owner

• Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
Contributor
Try Any Service Installer - http://forum.wegotse...a...&showfile=7, Review: http://www.wegotserv...vice-installer/

Fulltopuk

Fulltopuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Take a look at http://www.avforums....server-ps3.html. The software developer regularly writes in this forum and from what I can see is more than happy to take on valid requests from feedback.

Fulltopuk

tronski

tronski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Take a look at http://www.avforums....server-ps3.html. The software developer regularly writes in this forum and from what I can see is more than happy to take on valid requests from feedback.

Fulltopuk

Lovely thanks gang

K.Rock

K.Rock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Hi

Have been using the below software to stream content from my HP to my PS3 and it really is good

Problem is that to enable the PS3 to see the server, you have to login via remote desktop once to allow it to complete the boot sequence and for the Java based streamer to load. When using WMP11, this wasn't an issue as PS3 picked up the sever without having to login via remote desktop. Does anyone know if there is a workaround or has anyone managed to get this loading without logging in first?

thanks

Check out the discussion already-
http://forum.wegotse...?showtopic=5200

PLEASE CLOSE TOPIC

Bodog (WGS)

Bodog (WGS)

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,440 posts
  • Interests:Windows Home Server

PLEASE CLOSE TOPIC

That topic is titled "Stream .mkv to PS3" - this one is on the wider subject of PS3 Media Server - we will let them both run their course.
Please use the other topic for .mkv specific discussion

spaceman

spaceman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Hi

thanks

When you're logged into your WHS via remote desktop, fire up the GUI for PS3-Media-Server, and under the 'General Configuration' tab, click the option to 'Install as a Windows Service'. After clicking this it will tell you that you need to visit Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services to 'manually' change the Startup Type from Manual to Automatic for the PS3 Media Server service. Et voila! Worked for me :-)

TripleFun

TripleFun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Note the latest release of PS3 Media Server (1.02) has a 'run as a service' option. I tried this with no sucecss. Have resorted back to 'AnyServiceInstaller' which works well. Note you can delete services by running 'sc delete <service name>'. If the <service name> has spaces then put it in quotes.

1.02 also installs PS3 Media Server in C:\Program Files which makes adminsitartion a lot easier.

Note also that PS3 Media Server successfully streams .mt2s content with speeds up to 100mb/sec (assuming you have a Gb LAN). It is software like this that really plays to the strengths of WHS.

Volnhar

Volnhar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I've found that with the latest update 1.02.1 the install as service option does install it as a service but the PS3 can't see the server.

I ended up using the AnyServiceInstaller on it and it worked fine.

Liste

Liste

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Just to let everyone know, there is a new version (v1.03) available now: http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

There is also a forum that has just been established. I just discovered ps3mediaserver and am going to give it a whirl.

Liste

Aedryn

Aedryn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Works ok so far, it shuttered alot when I only had 1GB of RAM in the server. I upgraded the server to 3GB of RAM and it now seems to screem along :)

My only issue now is getting dual audio files to work, or work out how to strip out the english audio track and mark it as primary

Liste

Liste

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Working for me too......with virtually no configuration.

yak

yak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
PS3 Media Server 1.04 was released on 4 Feb 09.

On a separate note has anyone found a sure fire way of getting all XViDs to play without any transcoding? I normally use TSMuxer as the preferred streaming engine and the majority of things work fine but every now and then a file won't play. I then have to use Mencoder and play an MPEG2 transcoded version of the file.

As an example I can play the following file using TSMuxer, reported by Media Info as;

Container and general information
AVI: 350MiB, 41mn 7s
1 video stream: MPEG-4 Visual (XviD)
1 audio stream: Mpeg Audio (MP3)
Writing application: transcode-1.0 5rc4
First video stream
1006 Kbps, 624*352 (16/9), at 23.976 fps. MPEG-4 Visual (XviD) (Packed Bitstream) (Streaming Video@L1) (BVOP)
First audio stream
172 Kbps (16 Kbps), 48.0KHz, 2 channels, MPEG Audio (MP3) (Version 1) (Layer 3) (Joint Stereo)

but get a 'data unsupported' error message when I try to play the following file using TSMuxer, reported by Media Info as;

Container and general information
AVI: 349MiB, 40mn 55s
1 video stream: MPEG-4 Visual (XviD)
1 audio stream: Mpeg Audio (MP3)
Writing application: MEncoder dev-SVN-r26059-4.1.2
Writing library: Mplayer
First video stream
1055 Kbps, 624*352 (16/9), at 23.976 fps. MPEG-4 Visual (XviD) (Packed Bitstream) (Streaming Video@L1) (BVOP)
First audio stream
124 Kbps (16 Kbps), 48.0KHz, 2 channels, MPEG Audio (MP3) (Version 1) (Layer 3) (Joint Stereo)

Not a major problem as I can watch my XViD files - albeit transcoded to MPEG-2, I am just hoping someone can give some pointers of how to improve my setup? Currently have my self build WHS connected via a wired gigabit LAN to my PS3.

Cheers,

Yak.

RichNY

RichNY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Not sure what I'm missing here .
My PS3 can see my HPWHS via Windows Media Connect; dont recall doing any special configuration.
Is there additional functionality I'm not understanding in this thread?
IMHO, I dont think that the PS3 is a functional media player especially for those of us with large libraries.
It is a rather clueless application with little browsing or other usability goodies.
I use Squeezebox Duet which is a good solution with a lot of functionality

yak

yak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
HI RichNY - are you saying that you can play your XviDs on your PS3 streamed from your WHS through media connect without any problems?

As for missing out on anything, I went for PS3mediaserver for the fact that it could stream mkv files to the PS3 in a format that it could play by altering the container format i.e. no transcoding required. See here for more info.

RichNY

RichNY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

HI RichNY - are you saying that you can play your XviDs on your PS3 streamed from your WHS through media connect without any problems?

As for missing out on anything, I went for PS3mediaserver for the fact that it could stream mkv files to the PS3 in a format that it could play by altering the container format i.e. no transcoding required. See here for more info.

No - cant do that. All that I do is stream mp* and wm* music and look at photos
So guess I dont need PS3mediaserver.....

yak

yak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
PS3Media Server 1.10 has been released.

Info about the update from the wesbite;
"Some time has passed since the last version, so here's a major one ! Hopefully, it offers some interesting features to all ps3 owners running on Windows or Linux, like the DTS streaming support (no need anymore to encode in AC3 or PCM if you have a DTS compatible receiver), an improved Mencoder engine with automatic decision between muxing (aka no video encoding) and full video transcoding. About the DTS feature, make sure to read carefully the message box who will appear if you enable this option. Also, the automatic muxing option is enabled by default, to offer the best video quality when this is possible (if the video track is compatible and no subtitles are involved). Keep in mind that it's a new feature, so if anything bad happens, you can disable it in the mencoder configuration panel (or in the #Video Settings# virtual menu on XMB). There's other things to try, check the changelog !"

Lenno

Lenno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
To get the PS3 Media Server to run as a service consistently I have found I needed to do the following (Have also posted this on the PS3 Media Server site):

You need to run the Wrapper.exe as a standalone application first. The windows firewall then creates two rules (UDP and TCP) to allow the wrapper application to use the network. Personally the rule is a little too open, however you can lock it down to only the ports required if you are more security conscious.

Once the wrapper has been run successfully as a standalone application (firewall rules added by the system) it can now be run as a service and works well.

Works for me anyway. Note the Wrapper when run standalone opens a command windows. The wrapper can be terminated by pressing Ctrl-C which does a clean shutdown of the program.

yak

yak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

To get the PS3 Media Server to run as a service consistently I have found I needed to do the following.........

Hi Lenno,

I also had issues using the tick box in the configuration pages for PS3mediaserver to get it to run as a service. However, I used the AnyService Installer route and have had no problems.

reignsantiago

reignsantiago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
On a abstracted agenda has anyone begin a abiding blaze way of accepting all XViDs to play after any transcoding? I commonly use TSMuxer as the adopted alive engine and the majority of things plan accomplished but every now and again a book will not play. I again accept to use Mencoder and play an MPEG2 transcoded adaptation of the file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.