Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Using a Wii to access media on a home server?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Capone

Capone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Wii and was wondering if there was anyway to use it to access the media on my home server. I know that the Xbox is great for this but is there anything for the Wii?

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

GaMeR

GaMeR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
I believe Orb an help you out with that. Take a look in the Wiki.

StevenF

StevenF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
The Wii does not actually have a way to access network resources.

Every "Media Center" app I've come acros for the Wii is actually a Webserver with a Flash based Media Player (Xoom, Orb). This works well for Music and Photos, but is not very good for video.

Usually Video turns out either Choppy, or so reduced in quality that it is virtually unwatchable.

TBH, the Wii is not very advanced as consoles go. Non-Expandable Memory as the SD slot only works for backup and basic music/photo use, The hardware itself is really only a supped up GameCube (Nintendo even admits this). While a great Family or Group entertainment system and more "involved" than the consoles, the Wii is far behind the times. The only advanced part of the Wii is the controller system. And yes, I do own a Wii and enjoy it for what is capable of doing.

Capone

Capone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the advice on Orb. I setup in about 10 minutes and for the most part it is working. I have it playing music and veiwing photos just like I wanted. There are a few cosmetic things that would be nice to change such as displaying the cd cover instead of generic CD image. My guess is I need to get the cover image and name it folder.jpg inside the album folder. Also anyone know if I am stuck with this horrendous looking media player? It would be nice to have some a little less in your face.

Oh and StevenF, the Wii was purchased as a family purchase. I am just trying to make more use of it than some cartoony looking games. It's nice that my kids can pick up a wii remote and play a game, but man a Xbox 360 would have been so nice.

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

GuustFlater

GuustFlater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
Not sure from your response wghether you have already done so: for the Wii to connect to the WHS and receive data through Orb, you need to have the Opera browser installed on the Wii. This is not for free any more.

I've gone through the excercise and personally I'm pretty disappointed on what you get through the interface. Maybe because I did not optimise Orb well enough to be a bit faster towards the Wii (streaming to any other PC with Orb works well, even when I'm in the office I can view video streaming with a reasonable quality (If I would like to of course, but I'm working then :-)

jodyn

jodyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
Hi

You can also try Tversity for streaming to a Wii

there is a setup guide here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.