Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Failed remote access ISS Admin Service won't start

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Christine

Christine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi All,
Before I do a complete reinstall or throw my WHS off the roof I thought I would throw my situation out to other members and see if anyone has any ideas on how to repair this issue. A week or so ago one of my external hard drives failed. Before the drive failed completely I think it was somehow creating havoc with entire system. The backup service would randomly stop running, I lost remote access, and had file conflicts coming out of my ears. All the while the console was indicating that the drive was healthy. I ran chkdsk /f /r on all the drives and for some reason that is beyond my newbie mind this particular drive failed completely. Because my system is home brew and build with duct tape and gorilla glue, I decided to go with a larger drive 1.37 tb and add a sata card. This all seemed to work fine, but I still can't get remote access to work. The ISS Admin Service will not start and I don't have a clue why. The console is giving me the port forwarding has failed error. Note that is was working fine before the drive failed. I have since manually configured the router to forward ports 800, 443 and 4125. Still no joy. I have a backup of the server on a external drive and I'm wondering if I should try to reinstall from the backup or do a complete reinstall . When I restored from the backup before the drive failed it seemed to cause additional problems, but I was never sure of their origin. I think this has something to do with the ISS Admin Service failing to start, but I'm still kind of a newbie and can't figure this out. Thanks in advance for any help.
Christine

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,750 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor
Well, I would recommend a fresh installation. It's your best bet. as for why the IIS Admin service isn't starting... I've no idea why, and would need log files to figure that out specifically, but my guess is that there may be a corrupted file somewhere.

Without IIS Admin service running, the webserver will not start. If it doesn't start, port forwarding will fail because it checks if the site can be connected to.

Christine

Christine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Well, I would recommend a fresh installation. It's your best bet. as for why the IIS Admin service isn't starting... I've no idea why, and would need log files to figure that out specifically, but my guess is that there may be a corrupted file somewhere.

Without IIS Admin service running, the webserver will not start. If it doesn't start, port forwarding will fail because it checks if the site can be connected to.

Hi Drashna,
That's exactly what I did. Although the system wouldn't let me do a reinstall and I had to do a fresh install. It turns out that not one, but two of my drives where bad. Of course the other failed drive was the system drive. Not much damage was done as I had everything backed up on external drives (twice, just in case). I am looking at the bright side...now I have a nice clean machine again. If there is a lesson to be learned here it is that I was using very old drives and had too many of them. So perhaps is better to use larger drives and fewer of them. For sure not ones that are 7 or 8 years old. It is a miracle they lasted as long as they did.
Thanks again,
Christine

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Drashna Jaelre (WGS)

Tinkerer

• Lead Moderator
  • 14,750 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Home Server (obviously), math, science, good books, friends
Contributor
Ouch. Yeah, that would cause the IIS Admin service to not start! :)
I have a thing against old drives. They die. End of story. Old parts are even worse. THat and one of the biggest issues with WHS that I have seen is old drives.

As for new drives, I like to wait about six months after initial release of a drive before consider buying new ones though. Seagate's "recent" issue reinforces that fact.

And on the plus side, a nice fresh installation can be very refreshing. (though after about 60, they kinda get annoying :P)
Glad to hear you got everything sorted out though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.