Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Connection blocked because of HomeServerConsoleTab.whsinfo.dll

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Chris L

Chris L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Anyone come across the situation where the first time you open the WHS connector after a reboot, you get a message about being blocked because of some problem with HomeServerConsoleTab.whsinfo.dll
My Acer did this out of the box and has done it after each reboot. I can continue into the console with whatever that is missing, but as I don't know what it is, I'm not sure what's missing.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

noslembor

noslembor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Anyone come across the situation where the first time you open the WHS connector after a reboot, you get a message about being blocked because of some problem with HomeServerConsoleTab.whsinfo.dll
My Acer did this out of the box and has done it after each reboot. I can continue into the console with whatever that is missing, but as I don't know what it is, I'm not sure what's missing.

I have the same problem exactly. No solution yet. Giving it one more day and going to run the recovery. If I find the solution I'll post it here.

Good Luck

Note: The file is located in C:/program files/Windows Home Server/......

aliasrocks

aliasrocks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yep, same problem too. Everything seems to work fine, just have to skip the error dialog. I'm thinking that the automatic updates caused the problem. Send reply if recovery works. (Also, advise if recovery wipes out anything on the server because I know have 1TB of files on the box)

Thanks

Chris L

Chris L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well - the problem went away after I uninstalled the McAffee antivirus trial.
To do that I had to remote desktop to the server and use the add/remove programs to remove it, then use the McAffee removal tool from their site to ensure there were no remnants. Now my server runs a little quicker and doesn't complain when I try to log in to it any more.
So I would try that - get rid of McAffee.

torontodude

torontodude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I had the same problem and fixed it this way:

First I uninstalled McAfee using a remote desktop connection to the WHS and going into add/remove programs from control panel and uninstalling just like any other uninstall in windows you are most likely familiar with. But McAfee doesn't seem to have their removal tool available anymore and so I continued to get the error message about the WHSinfo.dll file. In retrospect, although I am happy not to have the bloated McAfee installed anymore, I'm not positive that you need to unistall McAfee at all to fix this error. Here's what I did:

1. Login to the your whs with remote desktop
2. Go to start>run and type "regedit" to edit the registry
3. To make it easy, go to edit>find and search for "WHSinfo.dll"
4. It will find this: "HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSInfo.dll"=dword:00000001
The value above should be located here:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\HomeServerConsole\BlockedDllList]
5. Delete the value "HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSInfo.dll"=dword:00000001
6. Close the registry editor and voila

You will be happy to see that not only will you not be bothered by this error anymore, but the next time you login to your whs console, there is now a "System Information" area, not seen before because of the blocked .dll.

Crazy that the Acer Aspire Home Server ships like this...

danldale

danldale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Same problem on my Acer. I downloaded the Advanced Admin Console which allowed me to access the server control panel and remove McAfee. I right clicked on the console icon opened shared folders, opened the software folder, opened the add-in folder and copied the .msi file there.

I then went to console/settings/add-in and installed the Advanced Admin Console which then gave me a control panel from the console. The Home Server Console Tab.whsinfo.dll is no more. McAfee is removed but oddly still has its icon on the Console menu.

To uninstall McAfee you need to get into the control panel -> add remove programs. To do this you can remote desktop in and log in as administrator, or install the Advance Admin Console which will give you all the access you need through the console: http://www.home-serv....nInstaller.msi

JohnDoe110479

JohnDoe110479

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello there,

I'm having the same problem here.

I've uninstalled McAfee. I used their removal tool.
Edited the registry (deleted the key).

After a restart, the error is gone but the System Info Tab is not present in the console.

After another restart (not doing anything in the meantime), the registry key is back.. the error too..

Does anybody have any other idea?

Thanx.

noogat

noogat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I just got this server home, and got started with the setup. Got everything connected, but noticed that every boot, I got that error regarding whsinfo.dll. I removed mcafee before I had even read that it was a good idea, via remote desktop.

I tried running the Windows Home Server Console from the desktop, via remote desktop, and got a security warning about running the file. I even had to input my password.

Now the app runs fine and so does my entire machine.

I bet a security update changed the way that script ran, and it kept getting hung up.

sirant

sirant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
 Got the same problem here, but when I push skip the console only gets "blue" without any possibilities to do anything. It all started when I tried to remove a hard drive yesterday. its NOT the system disc. Started it around mid-day yesterday, and after a while I lost my connection and tried to log in again, but then I got the error message. The next thing I tried was to log in with another computer thats also in my home-network and that worked fine. I continued to "remove" the hard drive, and when I got up today it was almost finished. When I got home from work today, it was the same story with my other computer. Couldn't connect, and got the same error message. 

I haven't installed any remote desktop things on the server, so probably can't access it from somewhere else? 

Anything I can do?

kenhsion

kenhsion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
hey guys, I found McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool.
I had use it in my acer h340, it worked.

you can download it at http://download.mcaf...atches/MCPR.exe

TAPvO

TAPvO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

Had the same problem due to a name change of mij laptop, which I found out afterwards.

I thought I renamed the laptop but did not see it reflected in the WHS console so I used regedit in WHS to change the name(s), which I did this because I succesfully recovered the ACER due to a non connection and did not mind doing it again if I scr'wed the reg.

Anyway later I found the rename of the laptop has not gone well so it popped up with the original name on the ACER so I really renamed the laptop including the reboot and the problem was gone. No problems sofar.

Hope this helps,

TAPvO

redflagger

redflagger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I tried to follow the instructions to "Delete the value "HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSInfo.dll"=dword:00000001"
but when I reboot it shows up again. Now I don't have the system information tab in WHS console (which I used to have) and the HDD leds are all blinking red when I reboot. Any help? Don't know what's going on.

wickedninja

wickedninja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

but when I push skip the console only gets "blue" without any possibilities to do anything.

im also getting that even after recovery, plus im unable to remote desktop the unit. have 3tb of files on it and unable to create a login to access shares :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.