Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Account locked out of shared folder access

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

jimz06

jimz06

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I've run into an odd and annoying problem of having a user account (the one I set up for Remote Access, everything else is handled with the guest account) locked out from access to the shared folders. Specifically I get this message:

"\\Mediaserver is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to."

I can still launch the console from the computer that has the user account and rdp in from that computer but no access to the folders. If I go through the cycle of deleting the user account and recreating it, it works for a while and then (haven't confirmed but might be the next client reboot) access is denied.

Looking at the event viewer to see what is coincident with this denial, I always find an obscure reference to a printer that isn't even attached to the WHS:

"Driver Canon MP170 Series Printer required for printer Canon MP170 Series Printer is unknown. Contact the administrator to install the driver before you log in again."

When the troublesome user account is deleted in the console everything works fine through the guest account access. Any idea what sort of OS tomfoolery is at work here?

*Yes, access permission on the folders show full access is activated for that user account.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Evaders99

Evaders99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
I know Server 2003 has an account lockout, mostly for repeated bad password requests. I think something is definitely up with your user accounts. You could try finding that lockout policy and disabling it

dc_idaho

dc_idaho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I get the same error message when I try to stream music from the server (using Windows Media Player) without having first logged into the shared folders. It has taken multiple reboots of both the server & client before I can eventually access the shared folders again. Would someone please tell me how to disable this extremely irritating "feature" of a supposedly mature OS?

Thanks,

David

lostinhere

lostinhere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I get the same error message when I try to stream music from the server (using Windows Media Player) without having first logged into the shared folders. It has taken multiple reboots of both the server & client before I can eventually access the shared folders again. Would someone please tell me how to disable this extremely irritating "feature" of a supposedly mature OS?

Thanks,

David

I occasionally have this issue. For me, the best solution is to wait and try again a little later. It appears to be dependent upon the load on the server coupled with the drive activity. I use Task Manager through the Advanced Admin Console AddIn by Andreas M.

LostInHere

dc_idaho

dc_idaho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I occasionally have this issue. For me, the best solution is to wait and try again a little later. It appears to be dependent upon the load on the server coupled with the drive activity. I use Task Manager through the Advanced Admin Console AddIn by Andreas M.

LostInHere

Sad to say, waiting accomplishes nothing. Task Manager says the system is loafing (0-5%). When I check user accounts, all are listed as enabled. I find it depressing that 8 years after it's introduction, MHS is still so buggy that no one seems to know how to deal with mysterious occasional 'lockouts' of shared folders. What a POS.
Sigh,

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.