Windows 7

Need help with Windows 7? Come and join in the discussions here.

145 topics in this forum

• 11 replies

1. Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• 4 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 18 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 96 replies
    • 16 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 6 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 14 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 2 replies

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• New Topics

• Latest Posts

• Storage Options
      By EddieJ · Posted
      Hi everyone, I've been a member here for a while and it all started with WHS v1.  I still have it commissioned but it's a former shadow of itself now.  I miss a lot of the functions it provided when it was at the old house. I have been tire kicking upgrading to a Windows 10 server.  However, this won't be without some hardware upgrades — because of space a Server Chassis will be the most necessary one.  Deep down I am loath to give up my WHS.  I can live with Microsoft's abandonment of it.  I can even live with the old architecture and hardware with which I am stuck.  I just don't think I can live without the GPT capabilities of the newer storage subsystems.  It seems sensible to aggregate storage into fewer and fewer drives rather than more and more drives. So I bought the WGS guide to building a W10 server .  Reading it and the threads here has led me to the second most important consideration — a storage controller. Initially, I was satisfied with Storage Spaces in W8 and 10. Just like DE in WHS, it's simple and so far effective.  It wasn't until I've had a spate of bad luck with my storage system in both the server and the desktop that I found myself reading more about competing sub-control systems.  It was the W10 guide that also got me musing about RAID and using a dedicated card.  Now Stablebit DrivePool has entered the mix.  At the risk of convoluting this thread,  I pose three questions: Could DrivePool work with a dedicated HBA without RAID capabilities along with large capacity SATA drives and do all the heavy lifting of storage management including pooling and redundancy? In which server configuration would this combination work, WHS v1 or W10? Can the combination of DrivePool and HBA overcome capacity limitation of MBR imposed by WHS? Thanks in advance folks.  
    • 3TB drive issues
      By ToddG · Posted
      Here is the diskpart data: DISKPART> list disk   Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
        --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
        Disk 0    Online          232 GB  1024 KB
        Disk 1    Online          746 GB      0 B        *
        Disk 2    Online         1863 GB     9 MB
        Disk 3    Online         2048 GB      0 B        *
        Disk 4    Online         2794 GB    19 MB        * DISKPART> select disk 1 Disk 1 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> list partition   Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
        -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
        Partition 1    Reserved           128 MB    17 KB
        Partition 2    Primary           2794 GB   129 MB DISKPART> list volume   Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
        ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  -------
        Volume 0     F                       DVD-ROM         0 B  No Media
        Volume 1                      NTFS   Partition    100 MB  Healthy    System
        Volume 2     C   OS           NTFS   Partition    232 GB  Healthy    Boot
        Volume 3     G   DATA         NTFS   Partition   2794 GB  Healthy
        Volume 4     D   DATA         NTFS   Partition   1863 GB  Healthy
        Volume 5     E   DrivePool    NTFS   Partition   2047 GB  Healthy
        Volume 6         Server 2011  NTFS   Partition   2794 GB  Healthy
    • 3TB drive issues
      By ToddG · Posted
      Thank you for the quick response.  The server has been rebooted a few times and still exhibits the same issue.  I will see what I can do about posting/attaching screenshots and or stats from diskpart.
    • 3TB drive issues
      By Umfriend · Posted
      I would have to see pics of the various views on that HDD and I wonder whether a simple reboot might solve some of it. When dealing with partitions on HDDs that have data on them I have used EaseUS to my satisfaction. Otherwise I would simply delete all volumes through disk management and recreate them. I use DrivePool and > 2TB Pools. Server Backup works fine as long as the underlying volumes/partitions are not in excess of 2TB (I believe 2080GB is the limit but may be off a bit so go smaller to be sure or find the exact limitation). I actually have 2 Pools, each of 2 x 2TB HDDs. That is becuase I have duplicaiton x2 on both Pools. I therefore only backup 1 HDD/Volume/Partition of each Pool. I backup to 8TB HDDs without issue (although BMR works, it is not seamless with me) which are connected to SATA (through a HDD caddy/cage). USB enclosures can be troublesome as they tend to lie to the OS about being 512e HDDs. Server Backup does not backup the Pool itself as it is a virtual drive that does not support VSS.
    • 3TB drive issues
      By ToddG · Posted
      New build - see below for hardware.  I am seeing an odd issue related to a 3TB data drive (Disk 2 - G: DATA).  At install, the 3TB drive was partitioned into the following partitions:  2TB and approx 800GB.  At the time, I did not realize that WHS2011 had the 2TB drive/partition limitation for backups.  So, I deleted the 800GB partition and expanded the 2TB partition to the full drive.  Once I discovered the 2TB limitation for backups, I tried to partition the drive back to the 2TB and 800GB sizes.  Unfortunately, this did not work and is reporting different sizes for drive, partitions, and volumes, depending on where you look:  Dashboard sees a 2TB drive (instead of the full 2.8TB), Disk Manager reports a 2.8TB drive, and diskpart is reporting a 800GB disk with 2.8TB partitions and volumes for "Disk 2".  Ultimately, I would like the partition size to be 2TB for backups.  So, any help would be greatly appreciated.  Due to the size of screenshots, I am not able to attach them but can email them. A related question, how do server backups work with DrivePool and >2TB pools? Hardware: AMD Athlonx2 620 (Quad 2.4) Gigabyte MB 4GB DDR2 1x256GB Samsung EVO SSD - OS Drive DrivePool:      1x2TB WD Black - D: data drive           1x3TB WD Red - G: data drive (drive in question)    1x3TB WD Red external USB- server backup     Thanks, Todd