Failed While Processing Webvirtualdirs

17 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Upon installing 2.0.5 you may see this error and the installation will fail. Something on your Windows Home Server has changed the IP Address of the default website. P80 did not do this, nor did any prior version. I did not take this under consideration for the installer, nor did I or any of my testers.

I will have a fix for this, this evening. In the meantime if you want to get P80 running now, go into IIS on your WHS. Right click the "Default Website" icon and select properties. Goto the Website tab, if not allready there. Make sure the IP Address field states "All Unassigned". Save the changes and reinstall P80.

1 person likes this

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Posted · Report post

Custom headers in IIS for the default website will also cause issues. The new build wil allow for custom headers as well as custom ip's for the default website. I hope to have a new build in three to four hours. Sorry about this to the people it applies to but we will get you up and running soon.

I hope you see I am actively trying to fix any and all bugs. I really want to see this app succeed.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

This problem just got way to entirely not good when a person changes the header of the default website to something other than the default....

I am not sure their is a solution for this. I have fixed if a user has selected specific ip for the default website, but it looks like if a person changes the header then this is major work.

Thanks to whoemever wrote the My linkhttp://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?title=Protect_your_WHS_Web_Site_from_ IP_Scanners .. you just ruined my night.....

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I will not be releasing a fix this weekend.

Basically if you have the know how to change IIS settings then you can fix the problem:

1. Set the default website IP = All Unassigned

2. Set the header for that to nothing

3. The port must be 80

4. Install P80

If you didn't change the settings yourself, then I am sorry but there is no easy fix for this and Im not sure how to make it work with customer headers and/or custom ports.

I imagine this affects very little people.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Fixed it for me

thanks for the tip...by the way this is one of the great plugins...well done!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Custom headers in IIS for the default website will also cause issues. The new build wil allow for custom headers as well as custom ip's for the default website. I hope to have a new build in three to four hours. Sorry about this to the people it applies to but we will get you up and running soon.

I hope you see I am actively trying to fix any and all bugs. I really want to see this app succeed.

Dude I think you are doing a hell of a job with support!!!

What I'm really surprise at is that we never seen this error before. I can't count how many times I installed/uninstalled all version and test builds of P80 while helping you test thing. The countless things I broke while doing all that testing and this never once showed it ugly head. I was stunned when I seen the error being reported even on virgin machines. I mean I broke about every thing I could break in P80 and you found and fixed the problem every time.

Anyway I wanted to give you a public 'atta boy for all of your hard work and outstanding support of your great little app!

fasthair

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Dude I think you are doing a hell of a job with support!!!

Anyway I wanted to give you a public 'atta boy for all of your hard work and outstanding support of your great little app!

Seconded. It is good to see someone come along with an idea and persevere with it into a very, very useful add-in.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Damn you guys are too kind :D .

I wouldn't feel to bad about it fasthair, you gave me a ton to fix to get this out haha. Who knew users would be going into IIS and making their WHS's more secure =).

Ill show you how to dig into IIS later if you want, but hell put this on the checklist for things to check for in the next releases!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the quick, concise, and useful support! Rep added for snowdins's posts on this subject.

I said it before and I will say it again... This is the best non-app add-in to come down the pike in a long time!

And it got even better when Nick at Asoft and Snowdins got together to add the remote shutdown/suspend/hibernate/WOL functionality!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Love this addin... I've been looking for something like this for a while now.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to new releases. Thanks again!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks to whoemever wrote the My linkhttp://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?title=Protect_your_WHS_Web_Site_from_ IP_Scanners .. you just ruined my night.....

That would be me. I make no apology nor do I intend any criticism. But I would think that if P80 is going to be useful to a broad range of WHS users then it is going to have to be able to play nice with other websites on the machine besides the default. If you want to do some testing in that regard I will be happy to help.

Posted · Report post

That would be me. I make no apology nor do I intend any criticism. But I would think that if P80 is going to be useful to a broad range of WHS users then it is going to have to be able to play nice with other websites on the machine besides the default. If you want to do some testing in that regard I will be happy to help.

I was more ticked off at the world at that point as it seemed I would never get an installer to work 100% =) I do agree that P80 needs to play nice with everything which it does. Its just my damn installer that barfs.

Once the settings are put to defaults the installer works fine, the user can then change the settings back to whatever they were and P80 will still work great. I hope people understand its just the installer and not P80 itself that has problems with this.

I see the stuff I need to do with my code, but it will take a bit for me to get into it. I am now working on localization, so once that's finished I will find yah to do some testing on my installer =).

Posted · Report post

I was more ticked off at the world at that point as it seemed I would never get an installer to work 100% =) I do agree that P80 needs to play nice with everything which it does. Its just my damn installer that barfs.

Once the settings are put to defaults the installer works fine, the user can then change the settings back to whatever they were and P80 will still work great. I hope people understand its just the installer and not P80 itself that has problems with this.

I see the stuff I need to do with my code, but it will take a bit for me to get into it. I am now working on localization, so once that's finished I will find yah to do some testing on my installer =).

Sorry for the misinterpretation and my confusion between P80 and it's installer.

Posted · Report post

Ok FYI I changed my port back to 80 to do the install then changed it back over to 8008 (my ISP blocks 80) and it is working fine for me.

I will not be releasing a fix this weekend.

Basically if you have the know how to change IIS settings then you can fix the problem:

2. Set the header for that to nothing

3. The port must be 80

4. Install P80

If you didn't change the settings yourself, then I am sorry but there is no easy fix for this and Im not sure how to make it work with customer headers and/or custom ports.

I imagine this affects very little people.

Posted · Report post

The next release will fix all of these issues. I have finally got some code together to allow for any IP Address/ Host Header and/or Port for the default website in any combination/order/etc.

Posted · Report post

<br />The next release will fix all of these issues. I have finally got some code together to allow for any IP Address/ Host Header and/or Port for the default website in any combination/order/etc.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I was using the IPScanner tip from this website and I assume that's why I couldn't get your add-in to work. After following your suggestion in this thread I got it to work. Thanks for a great add-in and your work. Any idea when the release will come?

Thanks again!

Posted · Report post

A couple more weeks. I am waiting for Cloudberry to get a new update released. Once that is released and working I should have a final build for testers.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Latest Posts

• Does WHS Launchpad need to be running to monitor?
      By KenV99 · Posted
      Hi, I am running WHS2011 and would like to know if in order for a Win10 or Win7 computer to appear in the uptime chart, if only using 'WHS Computers' as a Monitored Source (and not IP), does the computer need to have WHS Launchpad running? The connector is installed on all computers, but I prefer to not run the launchpad on my HTPC. Thanks.
    • Questions on Planning and Preparing for a N54L
      By darkarn · Posted
      Hi guys, after months of looking around for a better home (or mostly personal depending how you look at it  ) storage solution, I have decided to go ahead with a N54L! Here's what I have planned for and prepared so far with some background details on my use cases and setup:   Current Setup Computer(s): 1 Sager NP8170 (HDD changed into a Crucial M550 256GB) Main Storage: 1 HGST 3.5" 3TB Deskstar HDD in a Hotway USB 3.0 external enclosure. Connected to my laptop as Windows 7 local drive via USB 3.0. Backup: 1 3.5" 2TB HDD, 1 3.5" 1TB HDD in a shared PC. Connected to my laptop as Windows 7 network drives over the home network (i.e. PC to router, router to laptop). Router: Asus RT-AC66U (All drives above are formatted in NTFS)   Planned Setup Computer(s): 1 Sager NP8170 (HDD changed into a Crucial M550 256GB) Main Storage: 1 3.5" 2TB HDD, 1 3.5" 1TB HDD in a N54L. (N54L to switch, switch to laptop, switch to router) Backup: 1 HGST 3.5" 3TB Deskstar HDD in a Hotway USB 3.0 external enclosure. Connected to my laptop as Windows 7 local drive via USB 3.0. Router: Asus RT-AC66U (Not sure if should stick with NTFS due to OS choice in the N54L. I prefer not to reformat if possible.)   Use Cases
      1. Storing my data in my HDDs and being able to access them (i.e. NAS) (High priority) 2. Monitoring HDD health with real-time alerts (High priority) 3. Media streaming (in home network mostly, but if can be done ) (Medium priority) 4. Production server for web projects e.t.c. (LAMP setup maybe?) (Medium priority) 5. Media transcoding (then again, I think my devices can handle untranscoded stuff...?) (Low priority)
      6. Creating an environment where I can learn the usage and deployment of servers for fun and for career (yes, I know, this sounds naive at best...) (??? priority)   Items to Get/Prepare N54L itself (need to choose between 250GB HDD/2GB RAM and 500GB HDD/4GB RAM) DDNS Hostname for router (done!) Switch Thumbdrive with OS and BIOS mod if need be (need to decide OS first) Extra Ethernet cables for the setup   Questions Despite looking around at many forums, I am still having some doubts and questions in planning and preparing its deployment. So, I need help in understanding more of the following: 1. Should I be expecting slower read/write speeds than my USB 3.0 connection but faster than those HDDs in the PC? (Expectations) 2. What should I take note of in maintaining such servers instead of my current setup? (Expectations) 3. Will a unmanaged switch do? (Hardware) 4. What PCIe cards should I prepare for? (Hardware) 5. Will I need dual NICs? (Hardware) 6. Will I need an USB 3.0 card on the N54L, or should I just use the USB 3.0 ports on my laptop? (Hardware) 7. Which OS I should go for? Or will hypervisors (i.e. ESXi) be more suited for my use cases? (Amahi, Ubuntu, WHS/Windows 8 are my top choices currently) (Software) 8. If I were to go for a hypervisor, what should I look out for? (Expectations/Software)     I hope this is not too much... Thanks!
    • Mac Client Error 500 Lights-Out Agent Preferences
      By Timmy1 · Posted
      I was able to resolve the issue by uninstalling the application, removing the app from IIS then reinstalling.
    • WHS replacement device
      By fasttimes · Posted
      Longtime WHS user, in fact still on V1. Now that Windows 10 won't support a connector, are there any NAS devices that will give me the same simplicity that WHS provides for backup like the connector and over network restore? Will a device that runs Windows Storage Server give me the same functionality?  I'd love some recommendations to backup the OS of 4-5 machines at a sub 1k price  
    • Remove OneDrive from Win10
      By WantStuff · Posted
      Hi guys, I have recently put Win 10 Pro on two laptops and connected to a WS2012E R2 domain. I've pretty much got everything working as wanted and am now applying the 'polish'. One of the thing I'd now like to do is disable/remove OneDrive from the clients. I have seen that it can be done using a Local Group Policy, and want to do the same/similar but using a DC policy instead. Can some one point me in the right direction fo this? Local Group Policy instructions: https://techjourney.net/disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-completely-in-windows-10/ Thanks