Welcome to We Got Served Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

HOW TO CONFIGURE A BT HOMEHUB

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

PondLife

PondLife

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Having one of these and being unable to get remote web access to work through automatic configuration, I found the following post in the microsoft whs forum which people may find helpful and which did the job for me. I've copied the main details below and also given the forum post url at the end for ease of access and in case info gets updated. I thought the point about having a fixed IP was particularly noteworthy - I don't know if that is usually the case on other routers.

'Although uPnP is enabled by default, HomeHub's not uPnP enough for WHS so you need to configure the forwarding manually, as you have been trying to do. (ie switching uPnP ON won't be enough for WHS to work its magic).

On the Hub's Configuration > Application Sharing > Configuration screen, there is a Game or Application drop down list that will let you choose the HTTP and HTTPS Server options.

Next to that is a Device drop down that allows you to choose the machine that these options should be forwarded to. If you've named your machines on the Configuration > Devices screen, then the names appear here, which is much easier!

Lastly, there is an Add button to confirm the settings you have selected. Once you've added them, they appear in a list above the drop down boxes.

This process will allow you to add the remote access to the server (using http://yourdomain.homeserver.com and https://yourdomain.homeserver.com) but not remote desktop, so that's next.

The HomeHub doesn't know about WHS, so this port has to be configured manually. At the bottom of the Games & Application screen are links to two options. Choose "Create a new game or application"

On the New Game or Application screen, the Name box wants a New_entry. Enter "WHS RDP" (for example, whatever you'll recognise) and click Next.

The next screen is where you chose the ports that this new option uses. In the Port Range boxes type 4125. Add 4125 to the Translate To box, leave Trigger Protocol as Any and Trigger Port blank, then click Add.

Return to the Application Sharing menu, and repeat the process above to find your new entry in the Game or Application sharing list, and your WHS as the device and click Add.

You should now have three entries assigned to your Home Server. Connect to the console, go to settings and Remote Access and see if the connectivity tests OK. Router should show as manually configured.

Note:

If you're testing this from your network, when you go to http://yourdomain.homeserver.com the HomeHub will intercept the address and show you the router home page. This is normal - use https://yourdomain.homeserver.com instead. Outside your network, ie actually remote, both should work.

When you connect and get through to your WHS through IE, go to the computers tab and if any are available then you should be able to log in to that machine. Remember that certain machines won't be available to you anyway, eg XP Home.

Assigning ports to WHS only works 100% when the server has a fixed IP address - if you restart WHS and it gets a different IP address then the ports will stop being forwarded.'

url is http://forums.micros...r...2&SiteID=50

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

DSSystems

DSSystems

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hi PondLife,

This is great post, that i'm sure will help alot of people.
I hope you don't mind if I add my 2p's worth. ;)

Remember that certain machines won't be available to you anyway, eg XP Home.

Vista Home Editions will also be missing.

Assigning ports to WHS only works 100% when the server has a fixed IP address

Always use Static IP when Forwarding Ports manually, and ideally turn off UPnP

SpawnyJim

SpawnyJim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi guys,

I followed this and had my MediaSmrt running in no time with remote users logging in with no issues at all. Then it just stopped and i dont seem to be able to get it back no matter what!!

The only thing that i didnt have was a statich IP address but i have removed the applications and readded them. Still no luck.

Do you have any ideas i could try?

Thanks for your help.

SpawnyJim

SpawnyJim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Just carried out a factory reset on the router and reconfigured it... Still no luck...

PLEASE HELP ME.......

Thanks,
Jim.

Phil K

Phil K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Just carried out a factory reset on the router and reconfigured it... Still no luck...

PLEASE HELP ME.......

Thanks,
Jim.

Within the BT Home Hub admin look under Status - Internet and get the latest IP address the BT Home Hub has assigned to itself from BT. Attempt to access this from Internet Explorer (ie Http://xx.xx.xx.xx). If this works then your domain has lost track of the latest IP address update.

SpawnyJim

SpawnyJim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hi Phil,

This doesnt work, just get page cannot be displayed...

Doesnt matter what i try nothing seems to work.

jamesdisco

jamesdisco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Jim

I had the same problem as you, I eventually got WHS working thro the home hub, then one day the hub phone stopped working so i rebooted the hub got the phone going but never manged to get remote access working again. i never found a reason.

I'm now with tiscali and still cant get remote access. It does work if i disable the firewall but cant make it work when. The router is a siemens SE587, It says Upnp works but it doesnt and you have to set up the ports yourself. Anyone have answer please.

Thanks James

SpawnyJim

SpawnyJim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks James,

It amazes me that it worked, stopped an there doesnt seem to be a way of getting it to work again! i might give BT a call to see if they can help.

I am also thiking of restoring my server to defaults and starting again. Surely there is a way of fixing this thing. Is there a customer support number with HP??

The journey continues!!!!!!!!!!............................................................................

SpawnyJim

SpawnyJim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, I am still at the same stage. I have even dropped my firewall and still cannot access the server on the otherside of the router.

I get directed to the Routers home page until i add the HTTPS Server application for port forwarding. Once added i cannot get access.

I spent over an hour on the phone with BT today and got no where, they have blamed HP for their software so looks like i am going to have to speak with them tomorrow......

Any help would really be appreciated as i am on the verge of taking the server back and getting a refund. I think its pretty poor that i cant get this to work even though it already did for a few days.

Please help, ;)

fishyuk

fishyuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Ok, I am still at the same stage. I have even dropped my firewall and still cannot access the server on the otherside of the router.

I get directed to the Routers home page until i add the HTTPS Server application for port forwarding. Once added i cannot get access.

I spent over an hour on the phone with BT today and got no where, they have blamed HP for their software so looks like i am going to have to speak with them tomorrow......

Any help would really be appreciated as i am on the verge of taking the server back and getting a refund. I think its pretty poor that i cant get this to work even though it already did for a few days.

Please help, ;)

BT seem to have completely reset my Homehub whilst I was away. I had the message saying that for security reasons need to enter serial number and set password etc. Either that or it has completely reset itself and removed all my remote access settings which is absolutely shocking from BT. Going to try and redo the manual setting tonight and will report back if it seems to work OK. I've had it working perfectly for about 2 months so I really hope BT haven't changed something in the Homehub (though the firmware is still reporting 6.2.6E).

SpawnyJim

SpawnyJim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
FINALLY got it working........................................

Seems extreme but i did a factory reset on the server, added the ports on the BT Hub as per this post and hey presto it works again. Been running for nearly 5 days now and no hitches as yet.

So still trying to understand the issue. The only changes that were made were the IP adress assigned to the server and the HP updates. I am guessing that it was one of these and hoping that it was the IP issue as i have updates waiting to be installed.

Does anyone know if an update can be uninstalled if i do get issues with it?

Thanks.

hustler2008

hustler2008

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I also have a BT homeHub, ive tried everything on this post but still cannot get remote access!

I dont know what else to try?? If others have tried things i would be very grateful.

How can i check if a specific port is open or not??

JackOuzzi

JackOuzzi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

BT seem to have completely reset my Homehub whilst I was away. I had the message saying that for security reasons need to enter serial number and set password etc. Either that or it has completely reset itself and removed all my remote access settings which is absolutely shocking from BT.

Absolutely shocking from BT?? You aint seen nuffin yet http://www.theregist...orm_2006_trial/

BT will ALWAYS blame other equipment/companies and NEVER really help the customer, (trying to get through to CS is proof of that) and ALWAYS generally treat you as stupid and having no knowledge. I have spent years fitting community alarm systems to BT telephone lines - The WORST company ever to deal with often leaving vulnerable customers waiting and disconnected - and unfortunately I am personally 'stuck' with them .... and Phorm just around the corner folks .... (or is it here already .... maybe I will ring BT Customer Service and ask :unsure:)

NOTE: This is an entirely PERSONAL view

j22barb

j22barb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a Westell Versalink modem/router model C90-327W30-06. I have port forwarded port 80, 443, 4125. WHS tell me that my home page and remote acxcess is available (green check marks). However I have yellow " ! " in a triangle next to router accessing home page and accessing remote access.

I can access the my home page from within my network, but not from the outside.

Any ideas how to correct this problem?

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas. Going crazy trying to get it to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.